Saying hello

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lewishaloboy

Aug 16, 2011
Knottingley
Hi all im 18 years old and want to get into Bushcraft i like walking but the only problem is that my area is not the best to start so i was wondering if they are any tip or books to get me started thanks.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of books from Mors Kochanski to Ray Mears. Possibly the best reference though, is actually this site. You can get all the detailed info you want on anything right here.

udamiano

On a new journey
Hi and welcome to BCUK. Sit around the forums and I'm sure you will pick up all sorts of tips, and don't be afraid to ask questions, its all about sharing knowledge as for books. I started with
Scouting for Boys _R.B.Powell back in the 70's
its a classic and contains stuff that still relevant today.
As for others I tend to pick a topic study it then move on to another topic, i find it difficult to absorb bits and scraps of many thing from many different topics all at the same time, but that could just be my age.
Any way jump in the natives are friendly and the water is fine :)

Lewishaloboy

Aug 16, 2011
Knottingley
Thanks for the tip ill look have a good read throe all the posts and get a few booksis bear grylls any good for tips i just watch a few but never really listned just wondering if there any good?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks for the tip ill look have a good read throe all the posts and get a few booksis bear grylls any good for tips i just watch a few but never really listned just wondering if there any good?

There are some good tips hidden in his programmes. But they are considered more entertainment than documentaries really, some of the advisors that work/worked on his show are members here. He did publish one decent book - Living Wild. As a decent bushcrafting programme, you'd be hard pushed to beat Ray Mears though. Enjoy Bears programmes, and take what you can from them, but they are more about last ditch 'getting out quickly' survival based on Bears risk taking personality, rather than a guide to living comfortably in those environments.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi there and welcome to the forum. Good sources of advice are gonna be found right here, but best thing is to get out there and try stuff for your self.
there are a few of us around yorkshire and im sure a few people would be happy to spend time and show you a few bits..

Lewishaloboy

Aug 16, 2011
Knottingley
Thanks yeah i love ray mears and yeah i will be on the hunt for books and what sort of equipment do you recommend sorry for the questions i just want to be fully prepared.

udamiano

On a new journey
I would start with the basics first. something like plant and tree recognition, there are loads of books on those subjects. Start by learning to recognise the different types of trees, and test yourself when you go walking, when your comfortable with that, move onto hedgerow plants, and so no. plants play a big role in bushcraft and the skill to recognise correctly (and that is important to recognise them correctly) will pay dividends. I sure others will give you advice as well. best of all enjoy what your doing, its a great feeling to be out of doors, and totally self sufficient.

Have Fun
D

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hello and welcome to BCUK. :)

You might have been a little disappointed by the link in JohnathanD's reply. :)

Before anyone talks to you much more than that about equipment etc. they'll need to know what you're planning to do and where you're planning to do it. For example, what I do is less what you might call 'bushcraft' and more what I'd call 'camping' or maybe just 'bumming around in the woods'. Fortunately I'm often somewhere a long way from home but unfortunately I'm usually on a very tight time budget. I can remember the last time I slept in a rough shelter that I'd made from tree branches and what-not, but it was a helluvalongtimeago There are others on the site who will head off without a tent or tarp on a regular basis, and use whatever they find for shelter. So for cutting things, I don't need much more than my Victorinox when I go out, but for building a shelter I'd hope to have more than that handy. Others will use bigger knives than I would normally use, and possibly axes and saws too. Most of the time I have a sleeping bag and a tent and/or bivvy and/or tarp and/or groundsheet with me. I will usually take a small liquid fuel stove, and more recently a Ghillie kettle, but they're not everyone's, er, cup of tea. Have a look at the 'five items or less' thread for a bit of sport. There are meets in Dartmoor and meets in the Arctic. Obviously you need different gear for different places. Then of course there are personal preferences. Some people really like the 58 pattern military issue water bottles, I'm just as happy with a couple of 2 litre pop bottles from Tesco's.

So let us know a bit more about you and the sort of things you fancy doing, and we can help a lot more with the sort of gear that you might find useful.

Of course I'm leaving out the eternal war between the ground dwellers like me and the tree-swingers like JonathanD. :)

Oh, and either learn to be very self-disciplined, or start saving up! :)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hi, welcome to the forum,......don't forget youtube, not only is there a lot of mears stuff on there but also some good info, tips, demonstrations, gear reviews & filmed experiences by both professionals & amateur enthousiasts, if you have doubts or questions about anything, you can always run them pass here !

Lewishaloboy

Aug 16, 2011
Knottingley
I would be interested in all aspects of Bushcraft and all area arctic or forests so thanks for all your speedy answers i will take a look around this forum on youtube and most of all books.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Hiya and welcome aboard ... as other s have said, this place has loads of hints and tips so feel free to get stuck into the forum and the rest of the site. Any questions, feel free to post as we are quite a friendly bunch on here :)

Ed

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Lewishaloboy - welcome to the forum

If you're in Knottingley near Ferrybridge there's lots of woods nearby you can explore

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE