Baldrick style khukuri carry sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Hello All ,
I have a 14 inch Sirupate style khukuri with a 5 inch handle and am looking for recommendations for leatherworkers who could make a baldrick style carry leather sheath , anyone any ideas ?

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Just as a bit of a follow on from my request , Does anyone have any good ideas on making a leather baldrick style strap of my own ? I do have some idea of how I could acomplish such a project but if anyone has their own thoughts please reach out . Thanks

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think you need to describe exactly what you have in mind.

There are various bits of kit described as Baldric belts. Some are just a long belt double wrapped one loop high the other low with a sheath where they cross over. Another one is just a belt worn diagonally across the chest with a sheath/scabbard hanging at its lowest point. The third, that I know about, is the same as the latter but with a belt around the waist that stops the diagonal strap/belt swinging around. The diagonal strap take the blade (or gun) weight, the waist belt stabilises it.

You could make a decent Baldric style belt of the third kind with two leather belts (one quite long), a sheath, and join the two belts together with rivets or riveted rings and clips. I would cut the shoulder strap to make a neater junction. Obviously, you also need a sheath - I would put that between where the two ends of the shoulder strap join the waist belt.

Making leather belts from scratch is quite straight forward. You can even buy the belt strip pre-cut from leather suppliers who will also be able to supply all the buckles and clips you need. Ideally, you would sew it but rivetted belts are perfectly acceptable, easier to make, and you don't need to buy a load of gear to do it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE