Savlon vs Germolene vs Neosporin vs Chloramphenicol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kimba

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
Wash wound (solution 20ml Sal-e Pods) place inadine dressing then cover with Allevyn Adhesive dressing, leave for 7 days covered, the more you open the covering the harder it is to heal the wound.

A tip when placing the inadine push slightly into the wound, and after you have put on the Allevyn Adhesive dressing keep pressing around it for like ten minutes allow it to get a good grip, after that you can shower and carry on duties with no worry it will come off.

Don't forget disposable gloves, all this in a kit won't weigh much or take up much space.

Bumping an old thread.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I wear inidine mesh on a leg wound which is replaced every 3-4 days.

For anitbiotic ointments here,
1. "Ozonol" is a phenol/sulfur prep of indeterninate age!
2. "Polysporin" is a much more modern antibiotic treatment.
3. Up to date is "Polysporin Triple" antibiotic ointment. It's a mix of Polymyxin B Sulfate, Bacitracin Zinc and Gramicidin.

They all come in little 15g tubes which ought to be lots to carry on an extended trip. Western Red Cedar wood slivers infect very, very quickly for some reason. #2 and #3 are effective once the wood has been completely extracted.

Of course the first thing to do in a bush cut is to clean it up and stop the bleeding. Ointments and dressings are not for right now.

I suggest that you buy half a dozen 4 oz/118ml squeeze bottles of sterile 0.9% physiological saline. Really hose off a cut, never stings.

Reactions: kimba

kimba

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
For EdS:

Quote: "Iodine is a highly effective topical antimicrobial that has been used clinically in the treatment of wounds for more than 170 years. It has a broad spectrum of antimicrobial activity with efficacy against bacteria, mycobacteria, fungi, protozoa and viruses and can be used to treat both acute and chronic wounds." UnQuote:

Quote: "However, it appears that the latest, low-concentration, slow-release iodine formulations that are now in use in clinical practice are effective and non-toxic. Previous concerns about iodine were based on the toxicity of older formulations that contained elemental iodine." UnQuote:

I have a scar to prove Iodine works and works very well, I was bitten by unknown insect and caused a major wound infection (Hole) which took a month to close and still recovering from, my above information works and works very well, it is the Nhs procedure as of 2021.

That said I am open minded to learn more from you about negativity of inadine dressing use, I can't seem to find any information to support your comment.

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
Betadine (iodine) by far the best. The only reason not to use it is that some people are allergic. That is why it is not sold over the counter.
Savlon and other 'creams' can act as bacterial growth mediums once the tube is opened, plus they will prevent anything from sticking to the skin (eg, micropore).
I did not know that, here in the Netherlands you can buy betadine in shops.

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
My take, based on personal trials. For wounds needing surtures, let the pros do the cleaning etc.

Follow at your own risk...
The Whole Trinty ( see what I did there? )

1: I have 35% Hydro Perox in a small bottle, and.......
2 Manuka honey in a re-usable toothpaste tube, both wrapped individually in shrink wrap and then light heat shrink tubing, not shrunk tight, but rubber-banded, and tough enough to protect from puncture.
Use bandage or Band-Aids over the honey on the wound.

3 Plain white sugar in a plastic 35mm film cannister, for small open wounds.
Pour or sprinkle in te cut or wound, tape up with strong Band-Aid or suchlike, and the blood/plasma will dilute the sugar and actually clean and heal quicker than a plain Band-Aid.

Find the book, Honey, Mud and Maggots...the reason I decided to use these three products.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just been to late night chemist over infected cut. Didn't think it was badly infected but driving home it practically spat out gunk!

Anyway, the chemist recommended gp visit but antiseptic he said a lot aren't recommended or to be used on open wounds. That includes germolene and savlon. The chemist recommended brulidine. Good in the presence of blood and pus. Also good for staphylococcus and streptococcus antibiotic resistant bugs.

BTW there's another type of cream he mentioned that draws out moisture through the skin. That's good for dealing with pus. I didn't get it because I didn't think I had any pus. The steristrips were holding it back it seems.

Anyway, there's many options for antiseptics and there's other things as well to help with healing. I can recommend that no matter how much you do know it's still worth talking to your local chemist. A qualified medical professional I now think is worth getting to know like your gp. They're another line of enquiry / assistance if needed.

Reactions: nigelp

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Brulidine has been our go-to in our family for over fifty years - really does the job, and isn't greasy like so many others. Why it's not better known is beyond me, as everyone who tries it never goes back to the others. Oddly enough it was a veterinary surgeon who first recommended it to my parents - seems it's okay for cats too.

Anyway, sounds like you really need to get that seen to by someone who knows what they're doing, Paul. Hope you get it sorted satisfactorily.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In an hour, gp appointment. It's better after two lots of brulidine already. Well the red swelling is down but perhaps I managed to squeeze out most of the nasties last night. That seemed to reduce swelling. Think I'll keep brulidine around for the worst cases at least.

Reactions: grainweevil

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
My take, based on personal trials. For wounds needing surtures, let the pros do the cleaning etc.

Follow at your own risk...
The Whole Trinty ( see what I did there? )

1: I have 35% Hydro Perox in a small bottle, and.......
2 Manuka honey in a re-usable toothpaste tube, both wrapped individually in shrink wrap and then light heat shrink tubing, not shrunk tight, but rubber-banded, and tough enough to protect from puncture.
Use bandage or Band-Aids over the honey on the wound.

3 Plain white sugar in a plastic 35mm film cannister, for small open wounds.
Pour or sprinkle in te cut or wound, tape up with strong Band-Aid or suchlike, and the blood/plasma will dilute the sugar and actually clean and heal quicker than a plain Band-Aid.

Find the book, Honey, Mud and Maggots...the reason I decided to use these three products.
Going to start looking into honey more seriously. I do not carry any of the creams because of the reasons already given. I tend to have a first aid kit and a what works for me kit with stuff like this in.

"I find nothing works better than paraffin oil, and best brown paper!"

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Ok not had a chance to read al lthe replies but when i asked about neosporin which i get a friend to post , i got shot down and was berated for saying what do people think of it , i am in the uk and yup over the year had many injuries from scraps to tips of thumb chopping right to the bone and well nails through forehead and out above the eye you name it back in the 70's and 80s on site no one worried about health and safety , now to my point , i have stocks of germolene and savlon and disifectants of many types and hydro peroxide fro mthe states again a friend but i now have a large stock of neosporin i am not saying just the antibiotic one also the pain killing one which i was advised can cause blood restriction but again these are all in our what we as Bushcraft/Home preppers like ot call end stock , i woudl rather have something than nothing as i was told as a scout it is betterto carry it and not need it than need it and not have it .

But i see you all over the smell of germolene but what about Victors fav and mine the good old T.C.P now that stuff saved my thumb and i really mean that .

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I got sent home from nurse yesterday with spare dressings and inadine pads to go under them. Don't know what they'll add to the fluxo whatnot antibiotics I got put on after my little finger cut made my finger swell and go red and purple in colour. When the doctor forcefully rubbed a swab in my wound I didn't even feel it, not even the touch of it let alone feel pain.

I didn't think you could get iodine based dressings and treatments in the UK over the counter.

BTW what do preppers do about expiry dates? If out of date or close to it do you replace or keep for extremis and get replacement, fresh stock?

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Well I got sent home from nurse yesterday with spare dressings and inadine pads to go under them. Don't know what they'll add to the fluxo whatnot antibiotics I got put on after my little finger cut made my finger swell and go red and purple in colour. When the doctor forcefully rubbed a swab in my wound I didn't even feel it, not even the touch of it let alone feel pain.

I didn't think you could get iodine based dressings and treatments in the UK over the counter.

BTW what do preppers do about expiry dates? If out of date or close to it do you replace or keep for extremis and get replacement, fresh stock?
Hi paul we move out of date stuff to a spares box if that makes sense in the world we live in if it goes to hell in a hand cart i owuld rather have something than nothing , but again it does depend like disinfectant as long as it is sealed and not been in the sun and kept at a steady temp i would use it and take that chance , again antibiotics i have been told you do not use past the expiry and again cream wise as it is topical if it was kill or cure time then again i woulkd use it but antibiotics for internal then i was told they can poison you how true that is i am not sure so i replace them , we have a few medical chest as we call them we use 20 inch long bright orange tool chest the reason being easy to spot from all the other stuff we stock and store , see it is a bit of subjetc but we are bushcrafty/preppers we sort of cross both bridges if that makes sense , i can build basic shelter clean water to boiling standards for tea from a river , i can tie a fairly good knot lol yup youm ight not get the thing off but it will hold .

With regard to the medical side you must do what you see fit but again i would rather have something than nothing and yes i know wounds heal without but what if they don't and i can tell you firsy hand i had a few that don't so it was cut it open clean out the yuck then in to boiling water with T.C.P added and then dried and if i needed to i close it with butterfly stitches or whatever i had to hand from electrical tape to duct tape anything to close and protect as best you can ,then you get help when you can but again as i say we prep so like ot have it here in case , and yes i know people look at preppers like we are nuts or end of world people but covid came and hmmm who hand loo rolls in there stock who hand lots of bottled water when last year the water board kept switching it off at night to our area we had around 500 2 lt bottlesand 50 5 lit bottles and yes we shared with neighnours who i know replaced it but again people always ask us , like we are a corner shop i kid you not , sorry for the long winded reply but it is a long subject , bushcraft is about being able to survive out in the woods or well where veer you go in fair to middle comfort because if you have to rough it then your not prepped for that trip .

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We're all preppers to some extent. After a long nearly two weeks without electricity once we managed but the communication was an issue. Where we live mobile masts obviously went down and we were lucky in that we went some way out of the area one day and spotted a old fashioned cabled phone. They work on copper lines. We had to use mobiles from a 2m wide section of local canal that allowed connection across the bay a bit believe it or not! Now we're going digital so copper lines not working when the changes happen. Will need a ups I think.

We also have the usual powerpacks fully charged, torches, batteries, etc. Many other things. Plus pv cells for daylight power.

As to covid, we weren't prepped for that but never, ever failed to get what we really needed. Food menu changed the odd day or week according to if something was out but not that it affected us. In our area it's not really a area where ppl go mad. Northern England's common sense perhaps?

However, we do have things to tide us over if needed. Always have fuel for camping stoves, long life milk, freezer blocks in freezer for cool box, jars and tins of long life foods but not a lot., etc, we could get buy but not exactly what most call preppers but enough to say we have prepped a bit.

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Ah i get you , i am just getting in to the power banks stuff i never thought about it before as candles oil lamps and wind up lanterns and stuff like that but then i started to think hmmm power is out how do i get the wifes stairlift going and so on .

I would like to think we are to a point now that we could lock the doors and survive well if you get me .

That was why i asked a little while back about the neosporin because a friend in the states sends me stuff from time t o time like the powdered fruit juice drinks and stuff like that and well i asked her and she got me a few of them and she use to send me the triple biotic gel and creams and ointments and so i wanted to try the other stuff , i know people say do not throw antibiotics at it but as i say i would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it , think how it was with covid now lets say the 20 min cities come in and or they start other stuff how would people survive , we are looking to woodland to buy and turn in to a somewhat protected area if you understand that , we are both disabled but don't let it hold us back if we can but it would been us asking for help but again in return for help people would be paided in food or other ways .

I am not great on meds but again we have a full surgical kit not that i would know where to start but if you have contacts and you have the kit they can use and fix you or another then those people will see you as a team player worth having on board .

Regarding prepping i always think oh we don't need anything else but then bingo , like since joining here i have read so much on the site that has pointed to holes in the if we needed to survive in the woods that we were missing bits , i am fairly good with most stuff as use to work with my hands and can turn my hand to lots of stuff but again the miedical side i think people over look it thinking they can ru nto the hopsitla but what like in covid if they are not treating what then if you slip with a knife nice and deep cut you clean it bind it but it goes septic but no doctors will see you then like i say i would be happy to open it clean it out and rinse out all the yuck and then seal over with butterfliy stitches then a little rub over of an antiseptic cream but one with antibiotics might just give the edge in saving you so hence why i stock them , i am not someone that says throw antibiotics at a scratch but again i would rather have it covered .

I should really do a full first aid course due to the nature of my wifes illness, i keep looking for local courses but again for us we play life by ear now due to never knowing what each day will throw up .

Also re medical stuff it is always good to have extra so you can share in our eyes

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I had a boss who had a place in Cyprus and went to America a lot. He had anti viral meds bought legally in Cyprus and other stuff bought legally OTC in USA. He got the anti viral meds when there was a threat of a nasty flu type thought to be heading this way. Bird Flu, MERS, SARS, or similar years before Covid. He also brought OTC drugs legal in USA and/or Cyprus that weren't legal here without prescription. Totally illegal and would result in prosecution if caught i believe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE