Savlon vs Germolene vs Neosporin vs Chloramphenicol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I'm a fan of germoline, good for most sores and bad skin. However if its a cut i'll normally use betadine or some other form of iodine. Not too long ago i had a minor operation and the doctor gave me a few tubes of iodosorb to use. I still have some left and its mega for keeping cuts etc.. clean. Good for popped blisters, too dear to buy for me though, when it runs out i wont be getting more;

http://www.smith-nephew.com/profess...d-management/iodosorb--iodoflex/iodosorb-gel/

You can iodine cheap enough on ebay, i've used surgical spirit on a few cuts also (usually the hands) and it stings a bit but seems to dry it up and stop it bleeding, means i don't need to put a plaster on.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you want to consider yourself as independent and capable of minding yourself,
you ought to be buying the best there is.
Trying to self medicate what has become a serious infection, a week out on the track,
can make you look fairly helpless and hopeless.

Reactions: Janne

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just as a note added in proof: I ignored an infection which became a huge abscess which burst.
Then a 3 hr ambulance ride then surgery and I've finished week 4/7 healing. It's going very well.
Bushcraft has to mean looking out for yourself, first.

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
tl;dr :emoji_violin:I don't know but I've been told:emoji_violin:, double antibiotics are better than triple antibiotics.

I do know from personal observation and controlled experiments that my green goop (yarrow/plantain/beeswax/tea tree oil) works better than Neosporin. Cuts heal faster. Unlike Neosporin et al., if you order the restaurante's salsa caliente, green goop will ease your tongue's agony.

I used some this afternoon on an arrow-fletching gash on my finger. The cut from last Friday, sliding the stone too carelessly over the tip of "is this kukri sharp enough yet" is already healed. The week-old "bled like a pig" cut I mentioned in a different post is healed.

In a previous life I did molecular biology. Don't use broad-spectrum antibiotics unless you absolutely must, and then carry out the full course of treatment. Chloramphenicol is a useful tool for doing certain molecular biology experiments. Don't put it in your body.

People use antibiotics carelessly and irresponsibly. Do you want zombies? That's how you get zombies. This is why we can't have nice things.

Reactions: Toddy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Could you share your recipe for your green goop, please? Sounds good. I am off to jungle (briefly) in a few weeks and have been advised to take a topical antibiotic to deal with small cuts and such.

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Nodding to Janne, as I have no knowledge of tropical climes, do what he recommends.

In the spring I gather fresh yarrow leaves (fronds?). Herbals and foraging books recommend young shoots of whatever as being the tastiest. Because we are interested in secondary metabolites which are usually poisons for some predator of the plant and because young shoots are most at risk, the plant provides us with the best yield of antibacterial compounds in tender shoots.

I include plantain because Youtube. I have no idea whether it is of any use or not. The fibrous strands may be of some use by providing clotting sites. Next year I may omit plantain.

I include tea tree oil because it has documented medicinal properties. I first used olive oil but switched to tea tree oil. If one were to choose another carrier oil, I read a study that found safflower oil was less irritating to the skin than olive oil. If tea tree oil were not a choice, I would use safflower oil.

Beeswax is present to provide the stiffness of the mix. Liquid runs off, wax doesn't spread and spreading stiff wax over a wound hurts. Any wax could provide the desired mechanical qualities. We do bushcraft, so I pick the bushcrafty natural wax.

Gather the materials. Wash the herbage. Blot it dry. Chop it up with your skandi bushcraft knife, or, as I do, use a food chopper. You want to liberate as much of the herbage's intracellular content as you can. Use your carrier oil, sparingly, to help the chopper grind up the plant material.

There are products that grind up plant materials to make vegetable smoothies. I imagine one of those, which liquifies, rather than chops the user's veggies, would be sublime for this purpose. Please report your results.

Once chopped/liquified add the plant material to a heating vessel. We are going to make an oil decoction. I have a wee hot pot that came with my crock pot. It has no temperature regulation, just "off" and "hot". Add less oil than you think you will need. Maybe 1/4 volume of oil to 1 volume of chopped yarrow. Cook it. We want to extract the small to medium molecular weight secondary metabolites. We don't care about proteins, nucleic acids, or the abundant cellulosic structural components of our hash. Someone with lots more patience, or a grant, could find the ideal temperature/time/yield curve. I just take care not to let it boil. Leave the stew on for a couple of hours. If you manage to bleach out the chlorophyll, you left it on too long.

Strain the glop through cheesecloth. Coffee filters and lab filters are too fine.

Now you have an oil decoction. Let it cool, judge the texture, and decide how thick you want it to be. Pour off the oil layer into a clean vessel. (I don't know what the aqueous phase's properties might be.) Re-warm the batch and shave in wax. I have no recommendations regarding the quantity of wax. Some batches were stiffer than others. They all worked.

It looks like this when you're done.

I'm still using the 2016 batch. The wee bottle is my EDC.

Reactions: Toddy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Will have to give that a try! Might not take it to the jungle though. Thanks for so much detail!!!

The last place I lived had loads of yarrow in the lawn, and huge quantities in the bit of rough grass between my fence and the kerb stones. I can't recall having seen any yarrow at all anywhere near my current house.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, somehow I missed that TCP ointment had been taken off the market in 2014. Dang! I didn't usually use it, but I was going to take it on the jungle trip, it had a greasy consistency that really resisted washing off, and just one whiff told you it would kill microbes!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Where are you travelling to?

Most S. American countries have ‘interesting’ prescription tules.
None.
I garden a bit here. Maritime Tropics. British territory. Hygienic.
If I cut myself, compared to Scandinavia, the wounds, no matter how small, take days longer to heal.

Buy local, but depending where you are going, take a translation to the language spoken there.
English is NOT the Lingua Franca Brits and Norte Americanis think

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Going to Brunei. I am working on the basis that I need to take all with me because I am going to be there for just 9 days, and will be in jungle for just 3 or 4. Fall back is something from the US that has the same ingredients as Neosporin, but is a different brand, along with a benzalkonium chloride liquid wound disinfectant.
The kit lists issued by the chap I am visiting, for those going into the jungle for 7-10 days include antibiotic powder, which is unavailable in the UK. They suggest buying from on-line chemists based outside the UK.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Brunei - good country.

Probably to late, but as the British Army are there,wonder what they use?

Neosporine powder is good.
I should not say this, but me and my son use an ‘improved’ prescription antibiotic skin ointment in Norway
We crush penicillin V and Amoxicillin and mix into the ointment.

Sounds like a fun trip, I hope it is successful!

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
<snip>
We crush penicillin V and Amoxicillin and mix into the ointment.
<snip>

Please stop doing that. All you're doing is increasing antibiotic resistance in bacteria. Because you're doing it on skin, you're helping to produce multiple-drug-resistant Staphylococcus. Your native bacterial flora, inside and outside, will rapidly share those drug-resistance genes. When you get really sick with something your doc will have to use front line antibiotics which will have more side-effects on you. (In a past life I did molecular biology research which involved the transfer of drug resistance.)

Beta-lactam antibiotics, which include the 'cillins, only hit actively growing bacteria. They interfere with the bacteria's cell wall synthesis so the bacteria break apart from hydrostatic pressure. You want to kill all the bacteria in the wound with agents that don't require active growth. Additionally, the 'cillin isn't doing anything about viruses or fungi.

Everyone: please use antibiotics responsibly. We are going into the bush, some into tropical locales. That's where the next pandemic is waiting to cross a species barrier. Don't help that new invader by providing it drug resistance.

Reactions: dwardo and KenThis

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The next Pandemic is already around the corner. Maybe next year, maybe in 500 years.

Maybe it is called Ebola. Who knows?
We were lucky with the Ebola. As we imported it willingly into our countries.

We do it as we have problems getting an antibiotic in powderform, and the standard European ointments ones are weak.

Fish guts cause a nasty infection. Salt water softens the scab. Not a good combination unfortunately.
Is it not that the majority of AB resistant bugs have been developed in hospitals due to sub standard hygiene and AB regimes?
I am trained to prescribe Bacteriecid doses, today the doses seem to be Bacteriostatic.

MRSA? Rare in Scandinavia, so we must do something correct!

Edit: I miss Sulfa Powder. That was a superb product.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
In the grand scheme of things it seems to me that the most likely path for drug resistant infections come from hospitals, farms, and every day usage. If antibiotic use in the general public was restricted to people heading off into the bush that would be a vast decrease over what is used currently!

In other news...tried that tee tree oil and yarrow mix...used too much yarrow for the quantity of oil I had, wound up with something the consistency of a used tea bag! An oily used tea bag :censored:. At least the oil I managed to wring out was green!

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
..........for those going into the jungle for 7-10 days include antibiotic powder, which is unavailable in the UK...........

It is available if you buy it from a Vet - commonly called 'wound powder'.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Battles-Ve...a78BonUIFoHcBHIF4cpph4Ye3FgsqanBoCDAsQAvD_BwE

It has certainly stopped the goats getting any infection when we have cut their hooves a 'bit short' and they have open 'wounds'.

Or, 'Anti-Bacterial Powder'. here :

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Battles-Black-Anti-Bacterial-Powder/c9314/

UK supplier who we use for our animal medications.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
tl;dr :emoji_violin:I don't know but I've been told:emoji_violin:, double antibiotics are better than triple antibiotics.

I do know from personal observation and controlled experiments that my green goop (yarrow/plantain/beeswax/tea tree oil) works better than Neosporin. Cuts heal faster. Unlike Neosporin et al., if you order the restaurante's salsa caliente, green goop will ease your tongue's agony.

I used some this afternoon on an arrow-fletching gash on my finger. The cut from last Friday, sliding the stone too carelessly over the tip of "is this kukri sharp enough yet" is already healed. The week-old "bled like a pig" cut I mentioned in a different post is healed.

In a previous life I did molecular biology. Don't use broad-spectrum antibiotics unless you absolutely must, and then carry out the full course of treatment. Chloramphenicol is a useful tool for doing certain molecular biology experiments. Don't put it in your body.

People use antibiotics carelessly and irresponsibly. Do you want zombies? That's how you get zombies. This is why we can't have nice things.

Sounds good to me. However, I find it difficult to get the videos of Kenny Everetts' Reg Prescott DIY disasters out of my mind.

Reactions: Ascobis

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
In the grand scheme of things it seems to me that the most likely path for drug resistant infections come from hospitals, farms, and every day usage. If antibiotic use in the general public was restricted to people heading off into the bush that would be a vast decrease over what is used currently!

In other news...tried that tee tree oil and yarrow mix...used too much yarrow for the quantity of oil I had, wound up with something the consistency of a used tea bag! An oily used tea bag :censored:. At least the oil I managed to wring out was green!
"sparingly"
No worries, toss in more yarrow and cook it again at a lower temperature. I overcooked the 2015 batch and had black muck. You do want the liquid to be slightly oily at the first decant or it won't filter.

Because I only use early spring shoots it has taken a few years to get the knack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE