Sausage on a stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bowman

Jan 6, 2006
East Sussex
I am having a bushcraft weekend with my 11 year old nephew soon and need some advice on cooking methods. I have cooked trout over an open fire with great success but was wondering what could be done with sausages/burgers/etc. for children using green sticks (hazel, willow, etc.) over the fire. Is it just create a green stick frame and suspend it over the embers like you do with fish?
I don't really want to be confined to what can be produced in the billy can and he doesn't like fish!

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
even simpler than the rack - green stick skewers! - just clean off the bark and 'insert' through (lengthways) - he will LOVE cooking them

You could also make dough twists so you end up with bushcraft 'hot dogs' - just mix flour and water to a stiff dough and wrap around another stick. Kids love it with jam ;)

tanto

May 29, 2005
Sweden
Sausages are easy. Sharpen a stick and stick it in one of the two ends of the sausage like the picture below.

DSC_1223.jpg

In the scouts the standard meal was a sausage with dough wrapped around it cooked on a stick. Let the kids join in wrapping the sausage and holding the stick, its more fun eating the food you made yourself.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
You could try cooking the sausage on the stick as suggested above and then twist some dough around the cooked sausage and cook that some more to make a hot dog sort of thing.

Sausage wrapped in bacon would be nice too, in fact you could do breakfast kebabs with sausage, bacon, mushroom, black pudding, tomatoes.....I'm starving! :D

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'm just catching up on the other ideas posted on this thread and remembered this top tip!

From experience with cubs it is wise to microwave the saussge first! - it still looks raw but has the advantage that when they just char the outside the inside is already cooked! ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Take a "Y shaped piece of green willow. Spiral the two long arms around each other to form the "frame" of a tennis racket. Weave more green willow and weave a "tennis racket". Place a spatchcocked bird (this is a pigeon but it workd with chicken or any other meat within reason) on top and weave more willow over the top to keep in place.

Spatchcock3.jpg

Stake the "handle" of your "tennis racket" beside the fire do that the "head" of the "racket" faces over the fire (should hang over the fire - think more off to one side and facing the heat). turn every ten minutes. You can rub butter and herbs into the flesh andskin if you like. You should end up with something like this

Spatchcock4.jpg

Clearly on a largish device like this you can do a whole mixed grill!

Red

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Just been reminded - Lidl sell a two pack of Kabonosi sausage (smoked sausage) for about 99p iirc. They're quite good as they can be eaten as is but are nicer cooked and don't need to be kept refrigerated. Could be worth a try.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
As for the burgers you can quarter them slide onto a pointed stick and alternate pieces of burger with veggies make it into a kind of kabab. Two Y shaped sticks either side of the fire to hold the stick and keep them busy turning it like a mini spit roast effect. at the same time make the bread on a stick as G4 said and use them cut length ways like a bread roll to hold the kabab when cooked.
Dave.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
try burgers in cabbage leaves cooked on the embers the leaves char but the burgers steam cook . Did try with dandlion leaves but you get a bitter taste .

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
Try this... :)

With the tip of your knife carve the name of each child on the sausage....once you start roasting the sausages (not in the flames, otherwise you get a black, charcoal sausage/raw on the inside...) in the embers...the names will suddenly mysteriously appear...!

Marko

Joeri

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2006
Netherlands
www.niceisotherwise.nl
Naruska said:
Try this... :)

With the tip of your knife carve the name of each child on the sausage....once you start roasting the sausages (not in the flames, otherwise you get a black, charcoal sausage/raw on the inside...) in the embers...the names will suddenly mysteriously appear...!

Marko

Must be a funny little thing to do with kids...

Ravenn

Jan 13, 2005
Central, Ky,USA
Sausage wrapped in bacon would be nice too, in fact you could do breakfast kebabs with sausage, bacon, mushroom, black pudding, tomatoes.....I'm starving! :D[/QUOTE]

Could I impose on one of the members of this fine list to explain to this poor Southern Colonial( can't bring myself to say "yank"..sorry,cultural thing) .. what is black pudding..? for that matter, what is blood pudding?
Then maybe we can discuss"chittlins'

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I did dough twists with my little niece (3 year's old):

Cooking%20twisters.jpg

The little doll is Bridget and was helping (apparently)...
The stone prevented my niece getting too close to the fire, and provided a pivot to rest the stick on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE