Satmap Active 10

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Has anyone got any experience of these

http://satmap.com/about.php

They're a GPS that appears to produce OS maps in colour on screen.
Not cheap at around 300 gbp for the unit and 100gbp for each SD card at 1:25,000 and a card only covers a limited area (not sure how large an area)

They do look a fantastic bit of kit though.

Anyone used one

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
When I sell my flat later this year, apart from buying diving regulators and a twin set :)D ), the next on my list will be the Satmap Active 10. Been very impressed with the reviews. I have the view ranger software on my mobile and it is excellent for the price and allowed me and my mates to do a night walk from the White Bridge back round to the Linn of Dee via the Larig Ghru (long story) with no concerns at all. However, the old phone batteries don't last long enough any more am wanting a dedicated unit. I agree, it's pricey, but if you can afford it, I don't think you will go wrong.

Just my humble opinion, nothing more!

All the best,

KP

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
I prefer the iPaq/PocketPC platform running Memory Map.

The one thing that put me off the Satmap products was that even if you owned the Memory Map product already (it uses their stuff apparently) you had to pay for it again to get it in the Satmap proprietory format. I decided to wait until someone reverse engineered the cryptology so that I could load my own MM maps onto a standard SD card and use that.

Until then, its a PPC and MM for me.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I have a Satmap but I won it. To be fair its pretty good but very expensive and you need to buy a new one with the lithium batteries as it chews Duracels like I dont know what.
Very easy to use and they have a beta version of some map software on the site which also works well.

To be honest I prefer map and compass and I have an old etrex which I like to sling in, its very basic but robust the batteries last a good while and its fab for just getting a grid ref.
Its at this point I usually revert back to map and compass. so really I only use for a position fix if I am unsure of my exact whereabouts on a ridge and I cant be bothered with triangulation.

The sat map is good very good infact, but is no substitute for a map and compass IMHO anyway.

Hope this helps if you want any other info PM me.

Andy

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Thanks for all the advice.
I do fancy one BUT the killer is the the price of the maps/sd cards
as Martyn says to cover the uk you'd need about 15 cards

Very easy to use and they have a beta version of some map software on the site which also works
Andy
Is this comprehensive and useable ?

Again thanks for the opinions

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Hi Smokoe yes its pretty good really for a new version and im sure it will get better with time. I still uses my Anquets software most of the time but its only 1:50 but at least I have the whole of the uk. I just cant bring myself to part with the dosh just yet for whole of uk 1:25 no matter how much I want it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE