satchel patterns/templates?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey all, i fancy knocking up a practice satchel. i have a load of 1-2mm veg tan splits that are large enough for big projects so will give me a good use for them.

does anyone have any decent templates for making any sort of bag?

Cheers
Hamish

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Mountain Man Crafts and Skills by David Montgomery has some guides for bags in leather as used by the indians (parfleches) and patterns too but need scaling to size. Lots of other useful stuff too - sheaths,scabbards,pouches and cooking stuff as well as tanning etc. May well be of assistance.

I don't know if these books are available in Britain but the Mountain Man Sketchbooks are popular here with reinactors and bushcraft types. I got them when I was a teenager. Mostly drawings from Museum of the Fur Trade and other 19th century sources. If you can't find them I'll look into sending a scan.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
The guys over at DIYTactical have some ideas you could use - try http://www.diytactical.com/forums/index.php?topic=4371.0 as an example - you may need to register to see some parts of the site. The designs are geared toward canvas and Cordura but you should be able to tweak for leather. That said, I find the most satisfying results come from patterns you've made yourself. I use a vector graphics package (Inkscape - free download) to produce mine. Once I get the ideas down I can print out the prototypes and cutting templates onto standard A4 or A3 and tape together sections as needed. Cheap and effective.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
yeah cheers. i usually use cereal boxes for my patterns. ill come up with something just waiting on a new stanley knife being delivered. tired of using the snap off ones have had two break on me and nearly take my fingers off!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE