Sage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Been snooping around the gardens again and found masses of the stuff.

Anything I can do with it? dried sage isnt me. I prefer it fresh.

Made 1 1/2 pounds redcurrants in rum last night.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dried sage makes good tea but it also adds depth to pot pourri.

I like it fresh in bread and in vegebangers/ burgers. It makes great herby doughballs *dumplings*, and it enriches gravy too.
You can make a pesto with it using the sage instead of basil, very strong though but great with chutney and cheese on oatcakes.

You know this gluten and dairy free diet thing I live on ??
Sometimes it sucks :sigh:

Oh, and if you pound the sage up with rocksalt it makes a really good salt for sprinkling over oven wedges.

Take a gutted fishy, wrap it in clean grass with sprigs of sage in it and then coat in mud. Bake it slow in the hot fireashes until the clay is hard and ready to break off.
Supposed to be good with a quartered chicken done this way too.

Sage and tomato soup is good too.Use syboes with it to give oniony without being too much.

cheers,
Toddy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Don't hippies burn it as a kind of jostick?

I'm sure if seen this somewhere, apparently it creates a calming atmosphere.

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland

And it keeps the midges at bay. Irishlostboy made a wonderful smoke thingy the other day out of two tin cans. He put sage leaves and lemon balm leaves in it, and it produced a lovely aromatic smoke, and the bugs buggered off.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use lemon balm in my anti-midge wipes recipe.......much nicer than citronella. I hadn't thought of burning it though.............must try, thank you :D

cheers,
Toddy

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest

Smudgestick... :rolleyes:

My mother is one of the believers, as are many of my hippy friends.

It's supposed to clean and purify, so they use it to 'cleanse' people of bad feelings, and places of bad 'vibes' maaan... People do it when they move somewhere new too.

From what I can tell, all it does is make the place smell quite nice. :D

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I believe it was an ingredient in the smoking mixture used in an American Indian pipe ceremony I took part in some years ago.
There was other things in it, but no tobacco. As I'd given up smoking, I made sure to ask!

Jim

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I believe it was an ingredient in the smoking mixture used in an American Indian pipe ceremony I took part in some years ago.
There was other things in it, but no tobacco. As I'd given up smoking, I made sure to ask!

Jim

You sure thats not Salvia Divinorum, which although technically a member of the sage /mint familly has more pronounced affects.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
You sure thats not Salvia Divinorum, which although technically a member of the sage /mint familly has more pronounced affects.

I don't think so, it was quite innocuous - it was the ceremony that counted. It was carried out by this person, who visited in the early 90's and brought Sitting Bull's pipe to the U.K..

http://www.neiu.edu/~team/memory/jimgill.htm

The story about his cancer is interesting and I couldn't really make my mind up about it when he told us. He also carried a stone in a pouch round his neck, which was a tallisman that he had collected in a 'vision quest'. It was his guardian and he claimed it had talked to him and saved his life once.

Jim

dave1942

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 15, 2005
Hemel Hempstead
How do you make your anti midge wipes recipe. I have a lot of lemon balm in the garden and as I make a good midge dinner I am always looking for anything that will keep them at bay.

Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Boil up a good handful of bog myrtle leaves, mugwort leaves/flowers and lots of lemonbalm leaves. Cover pot and leave to cool; strain. Wipe the liquid on with a soft cloth or make wipes using bounty kitchen towels. Split the roll in half so that it's two toilet roll sized pieces. Remove the central cardboard cores and put the roll into a ziplock bag or an old babywipes container. Pour over half the liquid and allow to saturate the paper towels. Pull from the centre and you have anti midge wipes. Cooling and cleansing too :D

Or you can soak your shemagh in the liquid and allow to dry, repeat as necessary, but the scent helps to deter the midge. Some midgies it stops dead :approve: Not the ones around Loch Achray or on the Cobbler though :sigh:

It can also be made as a tincture, just use the cheapest vodka you can find. You'll need to seal the container really well though or the alcohol will evaporate.

I'm using a meadowsweet tincture to sooth my bites just now, it really works but I'd run out for a couple of days and the resultant bites were driving me nuts.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE