Safe Long-term Parking in Dartmoor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi

I am quite new to the forum, so first off. Hello to everyone.

I have been looking through the forum to see if any answers to my question have already been posted, but I haven't found anything (although I may have just missed it) so thought I'd come right out and ask for myself. So here goes...

I am taking a trip to Dartmoor soon. I am hoping to wild-camp at a couple of ifferent locations south of Princetown over the course of 3 or 4 days. The problem is I have no idea of a suitable (i.e. safe) place to park my car for several days. I have also trawled the web for advice on this, but can't find very much.

Does anyone have any good experiences of leaving their vehicles for several days unattended in that part of Dartmoor? If anyone can advise me please, I'd really appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
personally I would park it in town and walk out from there. (actually I would park it at a friend's house and walk/bus ride to where I want to start from)

Cars are normally safe in some of the odd little carparks that are on the tourist trail, but during the summer season there are some scrotes about that you might want to avoid :( I wouldn't leave it in the layby style of parking that you find around the moors, I've heard of cars broken into and even towed away having been reported as abandoned.

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Dousland is a relatively safe place, lived there for about 15 odd years and even left my van doors wide open overnight before (needed to dry the rear out).

You could try contacting The Burrator Inn as they have a good size carpark next to the main road and the inn is occupied 24/7.

HTH

Al

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Yes, I have left my car on Dartmoor numerous times. The rule of thumb I use is - don't leave it in remote carparks and do leave it opposite and overlooked by habitation.

I have parked directly opposite the East Dart Hotel at Postbridge - there is a layby. I would not use the carpark further on. The road is 'relatively busy' as one of the few routes directly across the moor and parking opposite means its overlooked. Same goes for parking at the Forest Inn in Hexworthy.

Otherwise parking in Princetown has been an option in the past.

LBL

p.s. caveats apply - if you do use these spots then you do so at your own risk - I am just saying what I have done in the past.

Last edited:

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Otherwise parking in Princetown has been an option in the past.

Hi LittleBigLane

Thanks for your suggestions. There are a couple of helpful ideas for me there :)

Come to think of it, parking in Princetown itself would make for the handiest start point for the route I have in mind.

Have you found any good long-term car parks in or around the main town itself ?

Thanks again for advice, and no problem about the disclaimer, I understand it's my decision (and responsibiity) in the end, of course.

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales

LOL !!

Thanks for that idea cbkernow. I had a closer look at that link, but I think that may be a little TOO secure for my liking, and potentially a bit too long-term as well !!

I suppose I would get the chance to practice some bushcraft there though....lighting unauthorized fires, cleaning up after my own toilet, eating slightly dubious food etc....actually maybe it's not so different after all.
Who do I have to kill ?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Are you in the YHA? I have used a Youth Hostel for my first night and walked/camped out for several days after (e.g. on the Pennine Way) and the hostel staff were happy for me to leave my car there. If so, there is a decent hostel at Bellever.

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Thanks for your replies and suggestions folks. Much appreciated.:)

I have tried contacting the Burrator Inn and Phil has very kindly agreed to let me use their car park.

Thanks for that suggestion Waterworx, and thanks again to everyone else for your helpful suggestions as well.

All the best.

Last edited:

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
LOL !!

Thanks for that idea cbkernow. I had a closer look at that link, but I think that may be a little TOO secure for my liking, and potentially a bit too long-term as well !!

I suppose I would get the chance to practice some bushcraft there though....lighting unauthorized fires, cleaning up after my own toilet, eating slightly dubious food etc....actually maybe it's not so different after all.
Who do I have to kill ?

You'd also get a chance to make your own knives, out of toothbrushes, combs, clothes pegs, oranges....

Just think how impressed your "roomies" would be if you managed to get some steel smuggled in and fashioned a shiv with intricate filing patterns, olive handle and inlaid mosaic pins!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE