Potential ban to wild camping on Dartmoor.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
I should probably point out also that the circumstances I've outlined may not actually construe aggravated trespass but just as a for instance, look at what constitutes "disorderly behaviour".

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I imagine the estates which really don’t want wild camping will employ wardens or bailiffs to patrol the land.
You could have a lot of fun with them. Get a few of you to walk around like you are looking for a camping spot. Large rucksack filled with foam and a massive camping mat strapped to it. Spread yourselves out over the estate in bright clothing.

Reactions: Wildgoose

Harold Godwinson

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2023
Cornwall
Being based in the Dartmoor and Bodmin moor area I have to say the interest in this has been huge. Weirdly the Darwell's estate is actually a piddling little corner of the moors very near Plymouth and as such accessible to a lot of car camper types. Hence the problem.

Well that and the fact he's a hedge fund banker and quite a crap one by all accounts and wants to use the land for grouse shooting so they say.

Doing what he has done has gained him nothing however as there have been several mass protests across his land and a lot of people now go there and camp on purpose. Interesting Dartmoor national parks are still fighting the decision and at the end of the day, apart from the Darwell's closing a few car parks and becoming rather disliked locally nothing has really changed.

I was wild camping up on the moors two weekends ago and apart from the usual challenging weather the most exciting thing that happened was I burnt the bacon grill I was frying over my fire.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Personally, I think that sounds like shocking, irresponsible, and unacceptable behaviour. And I think it's bad form to come on a public forum to boast of such behaviour - you bring us all into bad repute.
Yes, you should be ashamed of yourself - the bacon grill is like mana from nirvana and should be cooked correctly and savoured.
Well, really!

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Fact is he can't stop people walking across his land, so I shall continue to do so if I wish... I will also camp there if I require so... if someone wants to move me on, I'll move, but they better keep following me to the border of that tiny bit of land...

Reactions: Harold Godwinson

Harold Godwinson

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2023
Cornwall
Yep access isn't being stopped or trying to be stopped, its just wild camping. And while I feel sorry for the Darwell's in a way, uneducated wild campers leaving rubbish every where isn't good, I do feel that if the wild camping is banned then access will be banned soon after!

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Yep access isn't being stopped or trying to be stopped, its just wild camping. And while I feel sorry for the Darwell's in a way, uneducated wild campers leaving rubbish every where isn't good, I do feel that if the wild camping is banned then access will be banned soon after!
That would be more problematic, once land has been designated as open access it is almost impossible to de designate it, byelaws can be introduced to limit what uses it can be put to but access could only be restricted or rescinded temporarily for eg, the protection of wildlife, habitat or public health reasons.
That is fundamentally why many landowners choose to allow permissive access instead.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE