Potential ban to wild camping on Dartmoor.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Good afternoon.

I thought some people may not be aware of the potential ban to wild camping on Dartmoor - I wasn't.

Al Humphries post says it better than I can so I'll just link it here for people to read and do with what they will:

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That's been on the cards since covid "wild campers" trashed a lot of places there. I think they feel so few people actualy do it properly and will be prepared to fight for it, that it's almost a done deal.
Another problem is that both dartmoor and exmoor are struggling financially, and are talking of selling off some areas, so if that goes into private ownership, there could be a lot of places closed off to the public by new land owners, and as usual.... money talks.....
. The new land owners won't be wanting to buy if they have the great unwashed walking over their land and leaving their rubbish.
I know that is not the likes of us, but having been a volunteer Ranger on dartmoor, I've seen some stuff left behind that makes you wonder what they were thinking. Dirty nappies stuffed under gorse bushes for one!
Time to stand up and be counted perhaps? Is there a petition ?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Landowner wouldn't happen to have a grouse moore would they?

I can't follow the link but grouse moor owners aren't right keen on people knowing what they're upto by and large.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It’s not much of a faff and mesquite has even copied it as a pic (good idea!) but if it’s not too important no worries.
If it's important then why not write a summary for people to read rather than a link? I could go to the link but would need to set up an account to view the whole post. Even with the post now copied it doesn't tell me much but tells me to follow someone else.

What's the reasons for the proposed ban. If it's littering then what are their suggestions to help landowners deal with it. If it's risk to wildlife then surely limiting access during nesting season isn't all bad?

Reactions: British Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought the issue was the attempt undermine the 'national park' bit by pushing for a ban during 'nesting' season, for game birds.....which is a commercial venture, on the only area in England where wild camping is permitted. Once established when does that become 'farming' ? which rightly has restrictions on people walking over it. Even up here.
It's a bit like the ramblers using rights of way to ensure that they can't be deleted from use, maps, etc.,

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Good afternoon.

I thought some people may not be aware of the potential ban to wild camping on Dartmoor - I wasn't.

Al Humphries post says it better than I can so I'll just link it here for people to read and do with what they will:

Disgraceful

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It's not a balanced account though, it starts by saying "a wealthy landowner" which doesn't seem relevant unless they are trying to imply wealthy people should put up with fires and flytipping.

I'd still like to know both sides of the argument, when searching it seems they are not alone with wanting to ban wild camping, the Dartmoor National Park Authority who seem to be fighting this request have temporarily banned it themselves:

Reactions: British Red

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'd still like to know both sides of the argument, when searching it seems they are not alone with wanting to ban wild camping, the Dartmoor National Park Authority who seem to be fighting this request have temporarily banned it themselves:

The article you linked is from two years ago and the ban was for only 27 days

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
It's not a balanced account though, it starts by saying "a wealthy landowner" which doesn't seem relevant unless they are trying to imply wealthy people should put up with fires and flytipping.

They banned camping in two areas of Dartmoor during the post lockdown period.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE