S.Wales meetup anybody ??????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
As there are are so many of us in S.Wales how about a S.Wales meetup sometime? (Yes I know most there is the get together at M Mawr and most of us will probably be going along but it doesn't have to stop us getting together on other occasions)

ED, Stuart, - Any thoughts?

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the problem is that myther mawr is the one of the few areas which allows properly managed fires etc and therefore a good area for bushcraft meetups in the south wales area.

but due to the cost of renting the woodland for a weekend it is only worthwhile with large groups.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Good point Stuart.

If overnight camps / meetups are out of the question how would people feel about getting together for a day meetup?. This wouldn't necessarilly have to require a place to be hired out but could be a get together for a walk / discussion about various bushcraft topics / or just a social get together. :hug: :uu:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Wolfie said:
As there are are so many of us in S.Wales how about a S.Wales meetup sometime? (Yes I know most there is the get together at M Mawr and most of us will probably be going along but it doesn't have to stop us getting together on other occasions)

ED, Stuart, - Any thoughts?
Great idea, isn't there any other places in s/wales you can do a weekend other than M Mawr :?: Jakes (Rollnik) from cardif he may know of some whare you can go, but you can still get alot from a walk and a pub lunch :wink: :biggthump go for it....

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
there are other places but they come with a lot of restrictions no fires, no camping etc etc

and there are few areas of nice woodland with sympathetic landowners.

M Mawr is great because it is sympathetic to the needs of bushcrafters, the only thing I cant do at M Mawr is bring Torin along.

day meets would be possible though

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
The offer of a guided walk aroung MMawr is always there for anyone, especially if it can be done as a group. Great for me as I'd be getting paid to do it :naughty:

There are plenty of other places nearby for walks which could combine bushcraft topics along the way. If they happen to pass a pub or other similar establishment along the way all the better!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Wolfie, I hope you're doing well, long time no talk :wave:

It might make things a bit clearer if you explained a bit about who you are!

I expect that there are enough people down that way to get together and you don't have to have fires, you can wander about, eat sandwiches, forage and make spoons, or fishing hooks and the like......Loads of scope.

I have little meet ups in my back garden!

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Thanks Tony....I'm still here. Just lurking in the shadows.

For those who don't know me (which is probably everybody) I'm the Reserve Manager for Merthyr Mawr Warren NNR. I'm not responsible for the campsite at MM but for the sand dunes, all 360ha of it. I'm lucky in that I'm paid not only to look after the reserve but I also to show people around.

I've been thinking about suggesting the arrangement of day meetups for a while. To me they offer great scope for those of us who have families and / or responsibilities and are not able to go to overnight or longer gatherings.

Such meetups could be used for a range of purposes;

1 - just to get together and meet other like minded people

2 - day walks are a useful way of exploring an area in the company of someone who already knows the area well

3 - to look at different items of kit. Everyone could be asked to bring along a certain item, be it a compass, possibles pouch etc. This would then give everyone present a chance to compare the different bits of kit.

4 - To have a day looking at a certain topic and comparing techniques with other people.

5- Slide shows / talks. If people have been somwhere interesting it would be great to hear about it.

Venues don't have to be a problem. Day walks obviously need no venue apart from possibly a place for liquid refreshment. If its just a social get together, looking at kit or chatting about a certain topic a pub can be used. Most landlords won't mind as long as drinks are being bought. Not forgetting peoples houses / gardens.

I guess I'm just old fashioned. Finding out things on the computer is great, but actually meeting people and seeing peoples enthusiam and knowledge of a subject face to face, for me anyway, is so much better.

So how about it! Anybody in S.Wales up for getting together sometime pre-Bushmoot.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Wolfie,
I know a site that’s pretty good for over night camp, walk etc not so far either. I use it most weekends, never had any problems in all the time I’ve used the site. If you are interested PM me.

Frogo

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
Sounds very interesting, I'll need some tuition in the finer points if I'm to come to the MOOT :eek:):

regards

beach bum

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I know a couple of members locally that would be interested....... I think we have enough for a mini meet..... all we need now is a date???

Ed

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
a day wander around the dune at MM is always intresting, the sand shows clear tracks of all the animal that cross it and the wind wipes the slate clean every morning.

at the right time of year there are also a great deal of edible fungi on the dunes.

this is the mushroom harvest from Myther mawr dunes last year:
98P1010064.JPG

and tracking on the dunes:
98tracking1.jpg

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Ed said:
I know a couple of members locally that would be interested....... I think we have enough for a mini meet..... all we need now is a date???

Ed

To quote John Inman "I'm free!" most weekends :shock: , especially if it would be at M Mawr. Doesn't have to be there though, plenty of other places it could be instead. How does sometime in March sound?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
M-Mawr would be great for a first meetup :) and I can keep free anyweekend in march as long as it is arranged soonish.....

We can all have a chat when we get together about other venues and the possibility of a weekender.

Ed

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I like the sound of this...
MM would be my first choice, but there is also a spot i use regularly nr Rhudry. I'll have to find the farmer to see if it is possible...
I should be able to make it, but im unsure of my next practicals or exams so pencil me in!

:biggthump

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
If people are OK with a meeting and walk around M Mawr how about the first weekend in March on Sunday the 6th?.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE