RWL-34 or VG10 help needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
I realy want to have a go at making my own knife and have been looking for a new blade for some time now. I own a scandi pac pal from Allan Blade and while this is an awesome little knife it’s just a wee bit small for longer trips away. I had my heart set on a blade from SWC handmade knifes but after spending three weeks canoeing noticed that no matter how hard I tried the pac pal blade suffered in the damp conditions. I thought about getting an F1 blade by fallkniven and reprofiling it to more of a scandi type grind, however a quick search on this and B.B site has highlighted some problems with this solution. So I am asking if anyone has any ideas. What I’m after is a blade in the style of the Ray Mears/Allan Wood classic bushcraft knife, made from a steel that does not suffer so in the wet. Any help appreciated.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I know Alan Wood has made knives with the same profile as the woodlore but with stainless steel. I think they cost a fair bit less since woodlore wont take a cut as well, they wont have the resale value of course.
a budget option might be a EKA W11. It's not what we think of as a scandi grind but it's a good strong outdoor knife with the same size blade (and handle IIRC) as the woodlore, it has a stainless blade so should be fine

leon-1

yarrow said:
I realy want to have a go at making my own knife and have been looking for a new blade for some time now. I own a scandi pac pal from Allan Blade and while this is an awesome little knife it’s just a wee bit small for longer trips away. I had my heart set on a blade from SWC handmade knifes but after spending three weeks canoeing noticed that no matter how hard I tried the pac pal blade suffered in the damp conditions. I thought about getting an F1 blade by fallkniven and reprofiling it to more of a scandi type grind, however a quick search on this and B.B site has highlighted some problems with this solution. So I am asking if anyone has any ideas. What I’m after is a blade in the style of the Ray Mears/Allan Wood classic bushcraft knife, made from a steel that does not suffer so in the wet. Any help appreciated.

Hi mate there are other options one is to try Roger Linger, this is an example of one that he has made. I think Wayne has one of his they arenice knives and in S30V you won't have half the problems with corrosion if that is your worry.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Hi yarrow.
Have a look at Shingcrafts. He does very nice full tang knife kits in D2 toolsteel (more resistant to corrosion than O1).
I made one recently (in O1 steel) and was very impressed with the quality of the whole kit. A substantial blade(about 1cm taller than the AW/WL) but I like it a lot.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I was in the same position as you and ended up getting an F! and was really impressed with it, straight out the box but then the S30V Bushcrafter from Allan Blade arrived and it is excellent. Still in saying that I am getting the F1 rehandled to make it look a bit more friendly.

Once I get it back I can see me having a bit of a dilemma about which will be the first choice and which will be the spare. The Allan Blade option is not there for you at the moment so I would seriously consider the F1. If nothing else it throws sparks from a fero rod like nothing I have tried before.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Now thats what I call feedback :D Thanks for all your help people. I will let you know my decision once I have parted with my cash!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE