rusty pan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
i've got hold of a small cast iron pan, should be just the size for a couple of sausages ;) , but before I season it has anyone got tips on removing the rust, i thought maybe some olive oil and scourer pad ?

ABCD0006.jpg

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
IN the oven, cover pan with oil on a kitchen towel (thinly) put in oven upside cook for a couple of hours on a lowish setting. Do it a couple of times untill it stops smoking. Never wash with detergents keep a 'special' cloth for cleaning it. Cook something fatty for the first few times with it if anything sticks boil a bit of water up in it and it will come away. Regrease after thoroughly drying.
Dave

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I did a thread somewhere on re-conditioning a cast iron pan - it was a few hundred years old and in worse state than that (a lot) - it might be helpful. It was called "Junk or Jewel" or something of the sort

Red

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
i remember it red, i did have a search but couldn't remember what the post was called, tryed "pot" and "black" but didn't come up with much, wil try those search words. thanks

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Saw a dutch oven in a junk shop for £10 which was in a similar state.......um'd and arrrhd and never bought it as it was quite small and had no lid...regretted it and went back and it had gone doh! Never mind found they were selling off cuts of leather so bought some to make some pouches tis all good.
dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE