Trim down size of firebox plate/frying pan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 22, 2022
Brighton
Hi All

Maybe a stupid idea but I really don't like the lip of this thing (it making it just to big to fit comfortably in my back and was wondering if I should
1. Cut it off and file it down for a smooth finish 2 Bend it back down on itself to make a flat side profile.

So my questions is, are these stupid ideas and/or has anyone done it before or got any idea the best way to do it.

Pictures in the links below

All best
Ben

(note from Tony, Admin - I've taken the liberty of showing the images, there's lots of people don't like following links.)

PXL-20221123-233334482.jpg

PXL-20221123-233346933.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi Ben. To be honest I think you'll have difficulty doing a tidy job of it. Folding down will almost certainly not work without it being 'ruckled'. Cutting then grinding/filing/smoothing might work but it would be a slog depending on what power tools you have.

I would just look out for a replacement that fitted my packing/use needs.

The advantage of the lip is that the pan is much easier to pick up especially when full of hot stuff.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
A bit of a no-brainer this one.
You're the one using it and if it doesn't suit you as is, then feel free to modify as suits you.
As for which option - well, whatever you have the tools and abilities to do! Again, it's your item and you are using it, so do whatever you what to do.
Personally, I'd cut it off.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
If it is cast (not sure from the pic) there is no way to bend it, it will just break. If pressed there are more options but still a lot of work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE