Rustic Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Well i thought it was about time i had a go at carving a spoon, i found a suitable piece of hawthorn and got stuck in
webpage1009ae5.jpg

While my efforts are somewhat rustic :eek: i am never the less pleased with the results
spoon001gn7.jpg

i have yet to get myself a spoon knife so i had to manage without
spoon002ww8.jpg

i wanted a small spoon to use with my coffee pouch
spoon024wr1.jpg

and the end result is about the right size. I have applied a coat of olive oil (it was all i had to hand) and it has brought out the grain quite nicely
spoon013ui4.jpg

spoon012zm4.jpg

Thanks for looking, your comments appreciated. Sean.

Reactions: Nightwalker

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Looks great mate. And you did this witout a crook/spoon knife you say? I havent made myself a spoon yet, however I just recently gathered a perfect peice of wood (I think) and I was wondering about waiting until getting a spoon knife before starting my first attempt or not?

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
Wow thats fantastic! I have loads of hawthorn and cherry in the shed at the moment so I must have a go!

Is it best to work with green wood or seasoned? Also, did you just use a standard knife for the bowl of the spoon?

It looks great!

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
One of the best iv'e seen!
If this is your first attempt then you are truely THE SPOON CRAFTSMAN :)
Wait till you see my club cunningly disquised as a spoon :D

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Thanks for your comments Guys

Nightwalker
Looks great mate. And you did this witout a crook/spoon knife you say? I havent made myself a spoon yet, however I just recently gathered a perfect peice of wood (I think) and I was wondering about waiting until getting a spoon knife before starting my first attempt or not?

Yeah i dont have a spoon knife yet, (hope to soon remedy this though).

As far as whether or not you should wait until getting a spoon knife before having a go.....i'd say go for it you've got nothing to loose. Just take your time and dont rush it.Take a few minutes to stop and check what your doing every so often and plan your cuts carefully.

Floyd Soul
Is it best to work with green wood or seasoned? Also, did you just use a standard knife for the bowl of the spoon?

My piece of wood was seasoned (liberated from the log pile), but i know many people use green wood. There are benefit to using both,i think the best thing is to just have a go and experiment.

As for what knife i used, i used two. Both Brusletto's made in Norway. From the top in the picture,The Gubben and the Tollekniv, shown with the Frosts mora for size comparison
knives003et5.jpg

I'm not sure whether these are avaiable any more, i got mine back in 94 from Attleborough Accessories
http://www.attacc.com/
Both were very reasonably priced at the time, the Gubben was £39.95 and the Tollekniv an incredible £6.00!!
knives004wd8.jpg

knives005qp8.jpg

I have no connection with them just a satisfied customer. All the best. Sean.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE