Mixed Crafts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The missus has a stall at a craft fair this weekend and asked if I could supply her with some stuff so her table wasn't all needlecraft based. I give away stuff as fast as I make it so didn't have anything already made so it was a case of what I could knock together in a hurry :)

I'm a jack of all trades and master of none so my skill level is well below many of the skilled craftspeople on this forum - I am constantly in awe at the level of talent shown on here! However, I enjoyed getting stuck in for a purpose and I'm relatively pleased with the output.

The wands are just a bit of fun for kids - made from cherry, birch, alder, blackthorn, and hawthorn :) The boards are oak and the candle holders ash (that had dieback so some interesting grain). The coffee scoop is plum and the small spoons cherry.

Mixed Crafts.jpg

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
The missus has a stall at a craft fair this weekend and asked if I could supply her with some stuff so her table wasn't all needlecraft based. I give away stuff as fast as I make it so didn't have anything already made so it was a case of what I could knock together in a hurry :)

I'm a jack of all trades and master of none so my skill level is well below many of the skilled craftspeople on this forum - I am constantly in awe at the level of talent shown on here! However, I enjoyed getting stuck in for a purpose and I'm relatively pleased with the output.

The wands are just a bit of fun for kids - made from cherry, birch, alder, blackthorn, and hawthorn :) The boards are oak and the candle holders ash (that had dieback so some interesting grain). The coffee scoop is plum and the small spoons cherry.

View attachment 77104
Very nice! I’m hoping this craft fair is far far away so I don’t have any reason to go there. ;)
Any chance of a photo of some of the needlebased goodies as well?

Reactions: Ystranc

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Nice! I’m currently (yep, right now :) ) on a stand at a Christmas Craft Fayre, supporting my missus. She does stained, leaded and now mainly fused glass in all forms. My only pieces that I’ve done for her stand are candle holder / candlesticks made from my pieces of nicely figured wood, but I’m thinking of making some welly pullers too, as it seems their season ;)

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales

View attachment 77104
Are the leather key fobs belt danglers and do you ever make the square ones for Mora clipper knives?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmm.... sadly, that didn't go as well as hoped. Sue had put a lot of work in to support this fair, but the footfall just wasn't there. Lesson learned, village craft fairs are less likely to get the necessary footfall and less likely to pay for craft. I feel confident that Product and Price were right, just Promotion and Place were wrong.

The range of stuff Sue had made included aprons, Christmas stockings, various designs of beautifully stitched bags, felt gnomes, earrings ....

On the plus side, she sold out of wooden wands! :)

Craft Stall.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a shame :sigh:
I'm sorry it turned out to be a disappointment.
It can be very hard to hit exactly the right thing at the right place and price.

I hope she isn't discouraged, and enjoys more success elsewhere :)
In the meantime, perhaps an Etsy shop ?

My near as daughter in law does very well with her's, and has made a lot of friends among return customers too.

Best of luck with it :)

M

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I remember doing a Christmas craft fair at the NEC decades ago, most stall holders went away a bit disgruntled because the guys selling container loads of bundles of twisted hazel twigs sprayed gold were blatantly buying them in from a Chinese wholesaler. We also used to do one at the business and design centre in Islington which cost a fortune to do but at least there was Wolfblass by the crate load.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Son1 sat on the floor in a pile of presents and wrapping paper. He looked at me and said, "Geez Mum! Save the planet !".....so this year his presents are coming wrapped up in bags made of Christmas patterned cotton. Totally re-useable ad infinitum :angelic2:
Strikes me that Mrs Broch's Christmas stockings would do very well for that too :D

Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yes, a number of the bag styles were explicitly for present wrapping. The obvious ones were the bottle bags but there are other small bags there designed to do exactly that - the drawstring bags and the ones like the bright pink one towards the back on the right for example. They're all lined with contrasting fabrics as well :)

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Are the leather key fobs belt danglers and do you ever make the square ones for Mora clipper knives?

Sorry, missed this question. Yes, they're belt danglers with snap fasteners. I've never made a Clipper one - I assume you mean the ones with a kind of double leather square loop rather than a rectangular metal loop?

Reactions: Ystranc

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Exactly, there is one with a square metal loop that the clipper belt hook just locks onto, very simple design and construction but I’ve never got around to making one because I’m unsure where to buy the bits. There are others that are more like a bayonet frog that hangs from a Sam brown but they’re more complicated.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE