Rust Removal via electrolysis.....

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Help needed.

Never used this method before, and doesnt seem to be working for me.

Where am I going wrong?

Using;

A rusty horseshoe attached to the positive croc clip. Pos croc clip is kept out of the water.
Very rusty tin snips, attached to negative croc clip, under the water.
12v car Charger Bradley laser, producing 6amps.

Dp Liquid soda cystals, [presumably sodium carbonate]

Couple of photos.

IMG_1039_zps221b0e5a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

lscrys265.gif

Left the snips in for about 13 hours, didnt seem to do much.

Possible causes

The car battery light for power is lit up, as you can see in the photo, but not the charging light, as it would be if connected to the car battery.

Horseshoe, not a good choice?

Presumably its ok to use liquid soda crystals, and this stuff is sodium carbonate?

Any ideas?

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I ve heard that the newer chargers are no good as the electronics are tooo clever in them..

I do all my de-rusting with molasses now, save electric, and its not using causic/chemical type subtances...

I did do a thread on it a few months ago.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Looks like a charger issue then? B@lls. Couldnt be something simple could it.

I dont think soda crystals are caustic stu.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Washing soda is certainly not caustic. Just about all of us probably use washing soda unknowingly on a regular basis. It is a water softener used in laundry detergents.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Result!

I have a feeling that charger may have been a bit naff, as Ive just attached another, newer charger, which seems to be working.
The first few spots of silver are coming through.

I'll post another piccy showing before and after.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Try using bicarb instead of those liquid soda things you are using, I reckon that's it.

Bicarbonate of soda doesnt create the neccesary chemical solution/reaction.
However if you have it, it can be baked, turning it into sodium carbonate, or soda crystals, which is what im using.

Lye was also used, which is caustic, [caustic soda] and gives off bubbles of hydrogen, and chlorine gas, [used in the first world war as a chemical weapon] which is what Stu was probably referring to.

Dangerous stuff.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
you need to use caustic soda(NaOH) not soda crystal (NaCo3)

no you dont.

Both are equally effective.

Here Ed, if you scroll toward the bottom, it gives instructions on using caustic soda first, then at the bottom of the page, gives instructions for using the safer method of soda crystals. [Which is widely used in the USA. Its called Arm and Hammer Washing soda over there]

http://journeytoforever.org/at_billhook.html

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Sorry if it was taken that I was talking about cuastic soda in peticular, I was tring to be generic, about any type of chemical.... or solution not just caustic should of writern it fully rather then used a slash for quickenss.

they only thing that I do wonder abotu any thing like this method, is as it is basicly electroplating in reverse, it would also take off parent metal where the rust has been removed and you are still de rusting the badly rusty surfaces.. ok not a real problem, this also appliys to using a custic substance.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Caustic is certainly an excellent degreaser, but I've never had any problem with washing soda for electrolytic removal of rust, paint etc.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've done it before. Just use the stupidest charger you can find, connect the black negative lead to the part you want the rust off and the red positive lead to the sacrificial anode (in my case re-bar)
Mix a batch of washing soda with water so it acts as an electrolyte and knock it on.
Leave for a few days then look to see that the part will have been cleaned and the sacrificial anode is very rusty indeed.
Don't be tempted to put any chrome or stainless in there cos you end up with some very nasty chemicals (someone on here most likely uses the stuff to fuel a stove;)) that kill fishes and stuff.

Keep the electrolyte and use it again and again.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've done it before. Just use the stupidest charger you can find, connect the black negative lead to the part you want the rust off and the red positive lead to the sacrificial anode (in my case re-bar)
Mix a batch of washing soda with water so it acts as an electrolyte and knock it on.
Leave for a few days then look to see that the part will have been cleaned and the sacrificial anode is very rusty indeed.
Don't be tempted to put any chrome or stainless in there cos you end up with some very nasty chemicals (someone on here most likely uses the stuff to fuel a stove;)) that kill fishes and stuff.

Keep the electrolyte and use it again and again.

Have you tried it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE