Rust and its effect on tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Hi All

Just found another a pair of old billhooks in the shed. They look like French and about 100 year old.
The wooden handles look original and solid a few small splits on the grain, but they seem will work fine.

But the rust, they are very rusty, and could do with cleaning up on the whole blade and also the tangs.

My question is, what is the best way to clean up the rust from old tools like this?

And what if, it does not get cleaned up? If just sharpened and kept used, then what would the rust do to the metal structure of the blades? And especially the tang, they are thin and narrow, which are rat tail tang.

Will they last for another hundred years without problems? Or will they get weakened and break from the rust?

If the rust has to be removed, then how do you clean the rust on the tang without taking them out from the original handles?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Citric or acetic acid can remove rust. As for it's effect on the metal below I understand the effect is minimal. You could always speed up the process with a wire brush. If there's enough metal left under the rust it should be sound. Not sure you'll be able to do it without removing the handle though. Nice opportunity to daffy up the handles though

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
A wire wheel on a drill or grinder will pee that rust off. An short acid bath after that will clean it to the bare steel. To clean inside the handle you need to remove it to get at the steel. So.. best to break off the old handles and replace them with new ones to ensure the strength of the tang if you want to use them and not die!

This is the average ammount of rust under non epoxied scales/handles even with well kept tools that I come across.. Some are far worse and need serious work.

Get a picture of two up and I can better help you find a solution to getting them safe, clean and work ready. If you're too busy or lazy I can do it for you. :)

Let me know if you need detailed advice!

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Thanks for excellent advice and info.

If rust does not cause structural damage to the blades, I may just sharpen and use them as they are, because uncleaned looks of the tools sometimes add character. :)
I will try to get photo for the rusty billhooks uploaded tomorrow. cheers.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Best rust remover I have used, and the only one I have tried that really worked was the HG Rust Remover containing phosphoric acid. Can be diluted as a bath or painted on direct. I have used it as a bath for really rusty items. It does not clean down to shiny metal, but it takes or converts all the rust so that what is left is a grey pitted surface (pitted by the rust) that does not seem susceptible to rusting again.

As for damage, depends on the rust. A thin, uniformly thick fine layer of rust can offer a degree of protection, and shouldn't be a problem. However, deeper patches of rust which tend to continue growing will eat into the surface and cause weaknesses; places for a crack to start if the tool is stressed or shocked.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Ones in my old shed.

20895154088_8a07ce73c0_c.jpg

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
Nice looking tools
When I first started I would go for the ‘everything has to be shiny’ approach but worked out that just encourages rust and more work
Now I think wire wheel and oil for a working tool

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Providing the handles are solid, they shouldn't need anything more than a quick rub down with a wire brush and a blast of WD40 on the steel. Bit of cooking oil or whatever on the handle won't hurt either.

Nice looking pair of tools :)

(Get a fine half round file to sharpen them up!)

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Handles are indeed solid. I cut some hard wood branches, and they were fiercely effective, sharp and well balanced. I love the old tools :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
If they were mine, I'd tart one up and leave the other with it's modest age.

Best of both then. :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Good idea. Lovely tools there. They look great with a bit of rust, or cleaned up, must admit.

Do you have an angle grinder?

I can send you a slightly worn sanding flap disc if you do (for free of course! :D ). You can use that with gentle pressure to pee off any rust on the one you want clean and to sharpen them up.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Those aren't what I'd call "very rusty". Just use them and give them a wipe down with oil afterwards. Continued use will smooth the rust off...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE