Rush dips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
When peeling a rush to make dips how much of the skin do you need to leave on as a rough percentage (or fraction) of the circumferance?

Theres plenty of descriptions of the process on the net but the ones I have read are all vague about the amount left on to reinforce the pith.

Thanks

Tom

Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
If you peel both sides of the rush off this will be enough to support it.Leave two supporting ribs either side.

Try and find a copy of 'whites natural history of selbourne'.It contains an excellent description of the process.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The best rushes used for lights were the big cattail type ones, Gathered, cut and sold in bundles about 60cms (2feet) long.
As Launditch says leave a strip either side on the fine ones, but the big ones manage well with just one strip about 5mm wide.
Holding them can be a footer, the metal clamps used on the thin rushes are called 'nips'. A Y shaped frame or a bigger version of a josh stick holder works well though.

Curious now, what are you going to do with them ? :D They burn incredibly smokily.

cheers,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

The Selbourne letters are on line at the Guttenburg project and are great!

"To The Honourable Daines Barrington

Selborne, Nov. 1, 1775.

Dear Sir,

Hic ... taedae pingues, hic plurimus ignis
Semper, et assidua postes fuligine nigri.

I shall make no apology for troubling you with the detail of a very
simple piece of domestic Economy, being satisfied that you think
nothing beneath your attention that tends to utility: the matter
alluded to is the use of rushes instead of candles, which I am well
aware prevails in many districts besides this; but as I know there
are countries also where it does not obtain, and as I have
considered the subject with some degree of exactness, I shall
proceed in my humble story, and leave you to judge of the
expediency.

The proper species of rush for this purpose seems to be the juncus
effusus, or common soft rush, which is to be found in most moist
pastures, by the sides of streams, and under hedges. These rushes
are in best condition in the height of summer; but may be gathered,
so as to serve the purpose well, quite on to autumn. It would be
needless to add that the largest and longest are best. Decayed
labourers, women, and children, make it their business to procure
and prepare them. As soon as they are cut they must be flung into
water, and kept there; for otherwise they will dry and shrink, and
the peel will not run. At first a person would find it no easy matter
to divest a rush of its peel or rind, so as to leave one regular,
narrow, even rib from top to bottom that may support the pith: but
this, like other feats, soon becomes familiar even to children; and
we have seen an old woman, stone-blind, performing this business
with great dispatch, and seldom failing to strip them with the nicest
regularity. When these junci are thus far prepared, they must lie out
on the grass to be bleached, and take the dew for some nights, and
afterwards be dried in the sun.

Some address is required in dipping these rushes in the scalding fat
or grease; but this knack also is to be attained by practice. The
careful wife of an industrious Hampshire labourer obtains all her
fat for nothing; for she saves the scumrnings of her bacon-pot for
this use; and, if the grease abounds with salt, she causes the salt to
precipitate to the bottom, by setting the scummings in a warm
oven. Where hogs are not much in use, and especially by the sea-
side, the coarser animal oils will come very cheap. A pound of
common grease may be procured for four pence; and about six
pounds of grease will dip a pound of rushes; and one pound of
rushes may be bought for one shilling: so that a pound of rushes,
medicated and ready for use, will cost three shillings. If men that
keep bees will mix a little wax with the grease, it will give it a
consistency, and render it more cleanly, and make the rushes burn
longer: mutton-suet would have the same effect.

A good rush, which measured in length two feet four inches and an
half, being minuted, burnt only three minutes short of an hour: and
a rush still of greater length has been known to burn one hour and a
quarter.

These rushes give a good clear light. Watch-lights (coated with
tallow), it is true, shed a dismal one, 'darkness visible'; but then the
wicks of those have two ribs of the rind, or peel, to support the
pith, while the wick of the dipped rush has but one. The two ribs
are intended to impede the progress of the flame, and make the
candle last.

In a pound of dry rushes, avoirdupois, which I caused to be
weighed and numbered, we found upwards of one thousand six
hundred individuals. Now suppose each of these burns, one with
another, only half an hour, then a poor man will purchase eight
hundred hours of light, a time exceeding thirty-three entire days,
for three shillings. According to this account each rush, before
dipping, costs 1/33 of a farthing, and 1/11 afterwards. Thus a poor
family will enjoy 5&1/2 hours of comfortable light for a farthing.
An experienced old housekeeper assures me that one pound and a
half of rushes completely supplies his family the year round, since
working people burn no candle in the long days, because they rise
and go to bed by daylight.

Little farmers use rushes much in the short days, both morning and
evening in the dairy and kitchen; but the very poor, who are always
the worst economists, and therefore must continue very poor, buy
an halfpenny candle every evening, which, in their blowing open
rooms, does not burn much more than two hours. Thus have they
only two hours' light for their money instead of eleven.

While on the subject of rural oeconomy, it may not be improper to
mention a pretty implement of housewifery that we have seen no
where else; that is, little neat besoms which our foresters make
from the stalk of the polytricum commune, or great golden maiden-
hair, which they call silk-wood, and find plenty in the bogs. When
this moss is well combed and dressed, and divested of its outer
skin, it becomes of a beautiful bright chestnut colour; and, being
soft and pliant, is very proper for the dusting of beds, curtains,
carpets, hangings, etc. If these besoms were known to the
brushmakers in town, it is probable they might come much in use
for the purpose above-mentioned.*
(*A besom of this sort is to be seen in Sir Ashton Lever's Museum.)

I am, etc."

As to why, oh no good reason apart from a interest in historical lighting devices, faffing about and projects the lads can join in. I'll probably dump some on a mate who does live role play if I get carried away. So far my main problem has been finding a friendly butcher to supply me with mutton fat to render into tallow. I'm half tempted to buy some plumbers best white tallow (mutton and beef fat based) but its very expensive for what it is.

The next time I see some (which almost guarantees I won't for a long time) I will aquire some old rusty or even broken pincers (things I have turnd my nose up at in the past at car boots etc) and fix one arm iito a wooden block and crudely (the only way I know!) forge/bend the other up (suitably shortened) to aproximate a nip. I'll let the middle lad take it into school as his teacher loves anything "historical" like this and she can use it to demonstate with.

Cheers

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The little rushes are kind of fragile for childen, the bigger ones seem to suffer their handling more robustly. I used them at Stirling Castle for schools activities.
Mutton fat is really the best one for lack of stink and lesser smoke.....only beeswax beats it. You could kind of cheat and melt a block of the supermarket lard and thicken and harden it a bit with a block of beeswax. That would work very well. Housewives in the past just used whatever fat they had, bacon, beef, even oily fish works.

Have you tried pine splints ? Much more pleasant to burn :D

cheers,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! The bigger the better then!

Herself has taken a interest and when last seen was compliling a list of local slaughter houses to ring up on Monday. Theres of lot of sheep in the valley and some must be butchered locally.

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Look up Juncus species and it ought to give you something you recognise.

The peeled stems were/ are dipped in melted grease or wax and allowed to cool. They burn like a stiff candle wick.

cheers,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I should be getting five or six pounds of mutton fat (for a small donation to the butcher/sheep farmers charity) at the start of the week so today we went to the reservoir and filled a poster tube with the longest, thickest Soft Rushes we could find.

I will take some pics as we go through the processing and unless things go horribly wrong do a mini tutorial.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow this sounds very interesting!

That Juncus plant is absolutely everywhere around here (us being on clay an all) I always thought that it was the bullrush tops that were dried out and then melted in tallow, so at the beginning of this post I was wondering why you would peel the stem as it had nothing to do with the flaming part of it...
I'm definitely going to have a go at this now, as it seems very similar to my tallow candle, perhaps the cotton rope in the bowl could be substituted for the Juncus?... Me thinks I will play!

Ps this made me giggle...
Decayed labourers, women, and children, make it their business to procure
and prepare them

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I'm vaguely looking for a grissit. If I could weld I'd make one. I'm thinking a 16 inch long 2 inch dia pipe cut through the middle with semicircular plates at each end, 4 little legs and a handle sticking out of one side would do the job, it could be pretty crude. All beyond me I'm afraid, I can't even solder half decently!

I've an idea for a little device to make cutting the strip of skin easier...

ATB

Tom

http://www.lamptrader.com/496p_rush.html

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This is my experiment in making rush lights/ dips, I've not done it before so please bear with me!

Two days back we collected about a poster tubes worth of soft rushes from a local reservoir, it was a bit late in the season to do it according to the texts, which tend to say May to July but whether this will have any affect on the finished article I can't say. We of course attempted to not bend or crush the stems on the journey home.

I tried peeling them the first night with very mixed results, pith coming away with the strips being the main problem.

001.JPG

although some came out OK, it was a very slow process and I can't imagine anyone who actually depended on having them for lighting being able to spend so much time doing so few!

I decided then to soak them in water as mentioned in some of the articles so cut the most likely to make viable dips (widest, least tapered, no signs of damage/dieses) into 2 foot lengths and put them into the bath with a few inches of cold water.

004.JPG

I made no attempt to hold them under water as I did not want to crush them at all.

After 24 hours I was firmly told to remove them and go play with them elsewhere so was unable to test if soaking for 48 hours or longer improved the process.

The rushes were now very easy to strip, requiring no cutting/ scoring which had proved beneficial with the dry stems. I found the method that gave the best results was to start peeling at the thinner end

006.JPG

with your thumbnail and to gently pull the strip down over the thumb of the hand that was loosely holding the rush so the whole rush slid forward as the strip came off.

The last strip removed was normally started at the thick end as this gave a more evenly wide final left on strip.

On average 4 or 5 strips were removed from each rush. During the last 2 or three strip removals I gentle rested the forward moving end of the rush on the smooth table I was sitting at to help support the soggy pith as this gave the least number of accidental breakages. Overall about 1 in 6 of the stems were discarded during the process or cut to shorter lenghts due to the pith braking or some other failure. I am not what you would call nimble handed but became quite adept at it in a short period and can easily see that the job could and would have been farmed out to the family's children. With a larger supply of rushes to choose from the process would have been significantly faster as any marginal/fiddly ones would have been instantly discarded.

008.JPG

I was deliberately inconsistent in the size of strip left as I want to see what effects that has on the rest of the process and the finished items performance. Strips left on range from about one quarter to 1/16th of the circumference of the stem.

I will now leave them to dry and will tomorrow find a sunny window to store them on to bleach and If I can find a safe place (I may improvise a window box on the top floor to keep the lads and next doors cat out of them) put some outside to get rained on and dried out a few times as that is also mentioned in some texts. I believe that this was to leach out something in the pith (starch?) so it would either absorb the fat better or burn more cleanly? If anyone who has made dips themselves can comment I would very interested in their experiences.

Yours

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Since the person who was going to supply me with the mutton fat for rendering into tallow has taken a tumble and will be off work for at least a week my project to make some rush dips had ground to a halt.

However today I cooked Lancashire hotpot using lamb and there was sufficient excess fat to make a small anount of tallow (a couple of table spoons) which I melted in the edge of a well tilted frying pan and ran some of the short sections of well dried out rush through it.

DipLit01.jpg

I was very pleased with the results, in a quick test a six inch section burned for near exactly 11 minutes with a steady flame aproximately 2/3rds of the size of what you would get from a domestic parafin candle. There was practically no smoke and only a slight, vaguely pleasant sunday-dinner-cooking smell.

Suprisngly the dips I tried did not drip onto the plate I had put underneath although a occasional one formed but only ran a short distance down the stem. Occasionally the strip I had left on the rush remained as a wisp of ash for short period before crumbling off. So far there has been no more fire risk than you'd get from any open flame light source.

On blowing one out the smoke wasn't much more than you'd get from blowing out a normal candle.

When it is fully dark tonight I will try another section and see at what distance away from the light I can read something without straining.

Once I have got the tallow made I will do some slightly more scientific tests, simple stuff like weighing samples before and after dipping and seeing how much light you get from a pound of fat etc. .

I am thinking of altering a old pair of pliers (similar to those in the pic) into a holder, if I cut off one handle and fit a long straihght extension in line with the jaw (perhaps going into a candle stick base) and then bend the other handle back on itself into a U then It will make a serviceable job? If I get ambitious I could fit a candle holder to the top of the U handle as I have seen several such fitted originals.

ATB

Tom

I lit another dip in the darkest part of the room with all interior lights off (there was a bit of pollution from the street lights and a single dip provided enough light to read 8 point black on white print at a maximum of two feet. However it provided enough light to safely move around quite a large room. Unfortunately the camera overcompensated for the low light level so the picture below shows the area lighter than it was in reality and I lack a decent image manipulation program on this machine to darken the image to truely reflect what we experienced. You could easily work by the light of dips, the only downside being the need to reposition them in the holder.

litdip02.jpg

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Dear all
today I picked up my mutton fat, 4lb 12oz of it and set about turning it into tallow
to make some rush dips and possibly for some other projects like tallow candles, leather
dressing and what have you.

Tallow01.JPG

I made my only major mistake early on as rather than find out how to rig the food processor
to mince I chopped the fat up using the blender blades. By doing so I also finely chopped
the impuities, flesh, dried blood etc I was trying to remove and thus made it harder for me
to seperate them out. More on that later. The eldest lad fled the scene at this point as
the stench was fairly strong.

Tallow02.JPG

I added one table spoon of salt for every pound of fat processed.

Tallow03%20%282%29.JPG

Then added four kettles full of boiling water ( about 5 or 6 times the volume of fat ) and
set it on the good old family camping stove outside and brought it up to a rolling boil,
stirring all the time.

Tallow05.JPG

I then kept it on a high simmer for 50 minutes, aproximately 10 minutes a pound. It was at
this point I realised my mistake in chopping up too fine and sent a minion off to find the
kitchen muslin. Unfortunately this was not anywhere even vaguely logical so I sacrificed a
tea towel rather than spoil the boiling. Aldi currently have really handy oblong sieves that
have supports that open up to fit anysize of sink and I used one of these to support the tea
towel as I poured the goo into another pan, having brought it up to a good rolling boil again
to make the fat as liquid as possible.

Tallow06.JPG

There was quite a large amount of sludge left in the towel, which I had been rubbing with a
wooden spoon to encourage the fat and water through so rather than throw it away I removed
the towel and let the smaller parts ooze into a second pan into which I emptied another
kettle full of boiling water in the hope that the good stuff will rise to the surface and the
rubbish settle to the bottom.

Tallow07.JPG

I have left the pans, covered, in a cool place overnight and tomorrow I will somehow wedge the pan with
the first pressing into the fridge to cool as much as possible before removing the tallow and
rinsing it with very cold water. The second pressing I will harvest in the same way or if it
looks iffy will melt and strain/filter some more.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
For reasons I can't quite fathom when I just checked the two pans the one I thought would have all the good stuff in is just a watery mess while the stuff I very nearly threw away has a lovely thick layer of very white, hard, tallow.

I'll check again in another 10 ot 12 hours.

Not what I expected at all.

ATB

Tom
PS found a receipt for

"Leather Dressing

5-6 oz. Beeswax
8 oz. tallow
8 oz. neatsfoot oil

This is not a polish. It is a lotion that conditions and waterproofs smooth leather
superbly. Heat ingredients together to 160 degrees F. Mix thoroughly and pour
into containers."

another mentions pine tar which acts as a antiseptic (?) to stop the stuff rotting. Anyone have a favourite receipt?

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Much to my surprise both pans had layers of hard creamy tallow when I checked them overnight.

tallow10.JPG

The thick layer from what I had thought of as the second pressing came out easily and washed off in very cold water without much trouble. I merely had to run a knife around the edge and lift it out of the pan with a skimmer.

P1010052.JPG

The thinner wider first pressing broke up as I tried to lift it out. If I repeat the process I will find a taller narrower pan as this will make handling easier and concentrate the impurities that collect at the boundary, making their removal easier.

tallow11.JPG

I was left with a reasonable amount of tallow but due to a fair amount of wastage not as much as I’d expected. I put this down to a lack of care on my part and being too elaborate, sieving and straining when I would have produced more by using a narrower, bigger container with more water in it and leaving it to separate and set, then pulling the whole lump out, washing it off and then going to what I did next. (Although efficient sieves/strainers existed throughout the period dips were used for most of they would have been reserved to the kitchens of the rich. No doubt cloths etc could be used but from my own experiences if you are prepared to accept more impurities than I was that whole stage could be missed.)

tallow14.JPG

Which was a second melting. I chopped the two samples into lumps, bunged them into billies, added as much boiling water as I could to raise the tallow to near the top when it had separated then heated the lot up while stirring until all the fat separated and rose to the top. At the first sign of boiling as I took them off of the heat .

As the tallow separated from the water a clear division was visible where the remaining impurities gathered.

tallow13.JPG

I will now leave to cool, then chill, then wash the discs of tallow.

Since at a fairly early stage I appreciated I could not hope to attain the sort of levels of efficiency of your peasant housewife would obtain from long experience, (I realise it would have been outrageously arrogant of me to do so), I decided that I should aim for quality rather than quantity. The proof of the pudding will be in how clean a flame I get when the dips are made and how smelly the burn.

I am thinking of using some bog standard beef dripping on a dip in order to see if there is any benefit from messing about with mutton.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Having chilled the billies for about 6 hours I removed the plugs of tallow from them and washed them off in cold water,

The total produced was a very unimpresive 2 pound 4 ounces

Tallow15.JPG

But since thast is more than I actually need I'm not too fussed.

I haved bagged, labelled and dated the best disc and frozen it in the ice box of the fridge in my shed along with most of the 2nd disc which I have divided for conveniance into 4 oz chunks. I have kept out about 6 oz to use in making the dips but I suspect I will run out of the rushes long before the tallow.

Cheers

Tom
(decayed labourer)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE