Rumtopf

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Both, Just work your way from Spring to Xmas, adding seasonal fruit, sugar and keep the lot covered with rum. Decant at xmas :D :D We have only recently finished the liquor from our last one.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Sorry I meant the rum contents as in a recipe as opposed to the pot its made in, my fault for not explaining right, I have 3ltr jars from lakeland thats about to get the contents processed, the last thing i want is empty jars, the wife will have them in the bin lol

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
We've got a rumtopf jar form Germany, had it for decades....
We layer it year on year, fruit, rum, more fruit, more rum and so on....so some of the contents are quite a few years old....never goes off.

It is gorgeous, we heap a couple of tablespoons of fruit and liquid onto puddings etc......jeez they are severely alcoholic fruits.... :)

Tom

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
any old rum really, rough stuff gets smoothed out by the fruit flavours and sugar. There's not really much point putting the sippin stuff in there.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
bee3bbda.jpg

Well its going slow, blue berries, pineapple, orange, peaches so far, also a bottle of rum and 500grms of sugar, I have a birthday BBQ for my wife planned in August and hope to have something ready for then

Any hints or tips to improve it??

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
its basically a pot full of rum and sugar, and then when the fruit is ripe you add the fruit then for christmass its ready. yum yum
2:1 fruit sugar and enough rum to cover the fruit
Lonja

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Hi, you can put just about any fruit in there, but I love using mixed berries and blood plums (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, cherries etc - fresh or frozen - whatever you can get, even if you only pop 1 or 2 berries in at a time it all adds up), you end up with an almost black syrup. I only ever use cheap booze, and as well as rum you can add any spirit: vodka, brandy, bourbon, grappa even whiskey etc, you could even tip in any bits of (fruit) liqueur you may have in the cupboard (avoid anything a "herbal").
Taste it as you go.
The best way to improve it is time, the longer you leave it the better it gets.
Another tip is to start another jar ASAP, so you have a backup and it'll be ready for your next event.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE