Rule #32; Enjoy the Little Things

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Now that's a friend.

I'll tell you a good one. I have a friend called Astley, he works as a carpenter on oak timber framed buildings, and does a lot of work for the Weald and Downland Museum in Singleton where I live.

The Weald and Downland stock the full range of Gransfor Bruks axes. Before I knew the full value of these, he showed me a Small Forest Axe, which I loved immediately due to the perfect balance whatever the holding position on the shaft. I said, if you get up there again and can get me a discount, please grab one for me.

He turned up a few days before Christmas (few years ago now), with a really nicely grained SFA in his hands. I said I couldn't, I'd spent all I had on Christmas stuff.

He looked at me, looked at the axe, looked at me again, then said "Well, Happy Christmas then".

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Got a bowl of strawberry vinegar brewing up ~ I've been meaning to get around to making a bottle or two up for ages :eek: . Smells good so far* :D

So just the two weeks of occasionally stirring, the straining and filtering to go ... :rofl:

* Mind the kitchen is now a mad and heavy mix of Mint, Rosemary, Oregano, Thyme, strawberry, cider vinegar and roast pork :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We need a recipe - well I do - for Strawberry vinegar.....and some instructions on what to do with it!

It sounds fascinating :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The sky was amazing today!

12368175154_954029cc23_b.jpg

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
We need a recipe - well I do - for Strawberry vinegar.....and some instructions on what to do with it!

It sounds fascinating :)

I stumbled across the recipe and it piqued my interest ... then I had a genuine accident when a drip of liquid strawberry conserve I was making dropped into a splot of vinegar. Remembering the recipe I did a quick taste test, and now I'm in the process of making it proper :D

The intro blurb to the recipe mentions using it to dress salads, to finish meat sauces, or sprinkling over fresh strawberries :D I reckon you could add a dribble or two to vanilla ice cream ~ a slight pray might work too.
It could be worth paying round with food combinations where sweet / sour / salty are known to work (like a BLT working because of the salt of the bacon, the sweet of the tomato and the crunch of the lettuce ~ sweet tomato relish is worth trying in the mix ;) ).

Happy to put up the recipe now if you want to have a play, happy to work through the process and give feedback and opinion on the final product. Which would you prefer?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is it okay to say...both please?

BTW - Beautiful sky Harvestman - I was stuck inside today most of the day :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
These things are not little, but hopefully my fellow "Devon Dumplings" can appreciate a proper, man sized, pasty

Cornish Pasties by British Red, on Flickr

Haven't made them for years - the smell alone of them baking took me back to the Cathedral Green in Exeter where I used to buy my lunchtime oggy.

Smells are a time machine - they take you back

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Someone's pinched my time machine! I parked it outside the front door next week and when I went to use it today it was gone!

OK, OK, I'll get my coat ...............

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
These things are not little, but hopefully my fellow "Devon Dumplings" can appreciate a proper, man sized, pasty

Cornish Pasties by British Red, on Flickr

Haven't made them for years - the smell alone of them baking took me back to the Cathedral Green in Exeter where I used to buy my lunchtime oggy.

Smells are a time machine - they take you back

Pasties are my favourites! Those may not be little, but there is a lot of enjoyment to be had there. And now I'm hungry...

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Today is Fougasse Friday.. a nice simple olive, garlic, rosemary and seasalt fougasse, to be had later with salami, cheese and wine.
fougasse_zps6843d698.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE