Rule #32; Enjoy the Little Things

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
You managed to get the Oxaclic acid varroa treatment done yet Cam? Its not been cold enough here :( I might just do it and be damned next cold snap - they will start laying otherwise

We haven't done it yet, we checked and there didn't appear to be that many of them dropping off so we haven't done it yet. We did just fit the new hive scales though, looking forward to giving them an inspection soon :).

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
For a minute i thought the topic said "Rule #34; Enjoy the Little Things" and that little voice at the back of my head said ".....that's not Rule #34" :eek: :rolleyes:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Indeed, that is because you can use red cabbage to create a home made litmus solution - which I did to titrate home made vinegar

Had to do a bit of reading for that :D A learning day is a well used day ... might even have to try pickling sprouts ;) .

Pickled red cabbage is grand...be sure to rinse the salt off really well though

Well rinsed, drained, taste tested, well rinsed, drained, taste tested,soaked for ten minutes, drained, taste tested, Soaked for ten minutes, drained, taste tested ... covered in the pickling concoction and stirred ... wait a couple of hours, turn ... taste test, approve, give a piece to herself ... 'Bleurgh, salty!' :yuck:

Guess that makes the consignment mine then! :D :approve:

Instructions are to make again without salting ~ which is how her family pickle red cabbage and shallots. Got to be worth a play :D .

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My Little thing for the day was, when chainsawing up the "odds and sods" pile of broken branches and wood oddments I stumbled across some more horse chestnut burl.

I slabbed the least spongy bits up with the chainsaw into plaques

Burl Pieces by British Red, on Flickr

Large Burl Slab by British Red, on Flickr

I plan to plane and sand these and then stabalise them into nicely figured wooden plaques.

If I get lucky and get hold of some decent pairs of... antlers, rams horns, cow horns, boar tusks or the like, these can then be used to mount them on the outside walls around the steading. We like the antlers we have done that way and would like a few more interesting pieces.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My "little things" today were:

1) Pollarding an Elder tree

Pollard Elder Tree by British Red, on Flickr

I have always liked the idea of pollarding. This tree makes great flowers and fruit - but they were 20' in the air. So this is a double experiment - one part to try and manage an Elder tree and another to get the hang of pollarding

2) Getting horny :)

I received these in the post today for a project - I don't know why but I have always had a great fascination with horn, antler and bone - visually beautiful and very tactile things. Useful materials too!

Rams Horns by British Red, on Flickr

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nice one mate! My antler arrived yesterday and I reckon I'm making a catapult, a percussion knapping tool, some firesteel handles, some buttons and whatever Else I can fit In! They are very useful, have to wait till the weekend though :). Love this thread! :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Today's little thing was just that work today was hilarious. I don't know what medication my colleague was on, but I want some! Nice to have a day where I came home smiling.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Today's little things.....

1) Started making a plaque for the Ram's Horns

Burl cut to Size by British Red, on Flickr

2) Stripping the woodwork on my "restoration project" mangle

Mangle ready for use by British Red, on Flickr

Stripping progress by British Red, on Flickr

3) Beginning to understand the inner mechanics of the Mangle (and its spring retaining studs)

Spring removed by British Red, on Flickr

Messing about with parts on dead animals, diseased trees and out of date technology in a freezing cold barn. What could be better? :cool:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
In for a hip op next week, today's thing was a friend of mine turning up and splitting loads of firewood for me, knowing that I won't be able to do it myself for a few weeks. Bless him :)

He also drove me round to my parents place and sorted the wifi problems for them, and put up with the dog moulting all over his car.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Here's a little thing that was nearly a great big thing.

Today was a bit of a drama. Tracy got up for work, and found the front door wide open, the catch having failed. Our cat, Heliwr, was missing. She is an indoor cat, who never goes outside.

Heliwr is 15 years old, and almost completely blind. She can get lost in the kitchen and frequently runs into walls. Outside it was blowing a gale and hammering with rain. Searches failed to find her. At the bottom of our street is a fast road, and if Heliwr walked into that she wouldn't even see a car coming. Neither of us expected to see her again.

12330565973_70cb1c6bbc_c.jpg

There is a happy ending though, which is why it is only a little thing. Tracy took a half day off work as she was worrying so much, and she did a search in a break in the rain. One of the bushes in our street mewed at her indignantly, Helwir having huddled into it for shelter.

Heliwr was returned home very wet and a bit upset, but otherwise none the worse for her experience. Half a can of tuna did a disappearing trick, and she is now fine.

12330795644_7045e4a346_c.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Aww, that's a nice tale, bet you both had a tear in your eye.

To add. The moon looks fantastic tonight, just laying there in the sky. It's cheered me and kindled my wonder at such things.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great tales of fiewood and moggy :)

Someone wise told me that "content" beats "joy" every day. I agree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE