British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Today's little thing - well it was a bit grim - sleety and cold and I was hand muck spreading - however bad your day was - try a few hours of this

Manure Pile by British Red, on Flickr

The stuff is waterlogged, greasy, heavy and slippy as hell - just pushing the barrow through it was back breaking

So - what was the little thing? Well I was well supervised by a curious neighbour, so we had a long chat. He was born late in the year, but seems to be doing well and had a nice Winter coat

Dartmoor Pony Foal by British Red, on Flickr

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For a little thing, he's not so little. Nice though :)

Mine was just getting out for a walk today, and the weather not being completely appalling. I took the opportunity to seek out one of the rarest ferns in the county, a green spleenwort, known only from two or three locations. Found it, a tiny thing, hidden in a dark crevice next to a path, but you had to know it was there in order to find it.

12209921486_d1867849c7_b.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just as an aside - it really irks me when people leave headcollars on youngstock instead of training them to come to hand. It just looks so wrong to me and doesn't do them any favours; nice foal though!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
He comes to me okay, but he is a flighty wee beggar - just loves running around playing chase. He was foaled very late in the year for convoluted reasons so is the only foal still with his dam in the nursery field that backs onto our paddock. To be honest, I know nowt about horses but they are conscientious stud owners and he seems happy enough. I grew up around Dartmoor so having the Dartmoors around is always a pleasure to me :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yeah, the halter......I just never understand why not train the foal right from the get-go to come to hand; it's easy, I've been doing it all my life..........and that one must be close to a yearling now.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, the halter......I just never understand why not train the foal right from the get-go to come to hand; it's easy, I've been doing it all my life..........and that one must be close to a yearling now.

Thanks. Agreed about training them to come. But we did use the halters early as well; to train them to lead and to picket.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yeah, June is very late, and it does have it's drawbacks; but they're a very hardy native breed. We're very lucky to have so many extremely "good doers" in the British Isles!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've not pickled red cabbage before and have just checked how the dry brining's going ... it's turned the salt a bright and funky blue! :cool: :rofl:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed, that is because you can use red cabbage to create a home made litmus solution - which I did to titrate home made vinegar

Pickled red cabbage is grand...be sure to rinse the salt off really well though

Pickled red cabbage by British Red, on Flickr

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Today is just stunning. Wind and rin have washed the dust off everything and the world is sparkling

The snowdrops have been open since early January - but if you look carefully, there is a crocus joining the party

Snowdrops 2-2-14 by British Red, on Flickr

Here is another look

First Crocus 2-2-14 by British Red, on Flickr

and the dwarf iris in sheltered locations look magnificent

Miniature Iris 2-2-14 by British Red, on Flickr

a do the heartsease in the herb bed

Heartsease 2-2-14 by British Red, on Flickr

The bees are loving this warmth and sun as well

Bees Flying 2-2-14 by British Red, on Flickr

What a glorious day - I hope you are enjoying it?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You managed to get the Oxaclic acid varroa treatment done yet Cam? Its not been cold enough here :( I might just do it and be damned next cold snap - they will start laying otherwise

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE