Rule #32; Enjoy the Little Things

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have you come across / tried Bread and Butter Pickle?

If you haven't it's well worth trying :D . I found a basic recipe a while back, happy to dig it out and lob it up on the forum.

Its an American thing if I recall? Yeah do us a little tutorial if its good - I like bread and butter pudding so lets pickle some :D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Its an American thing if I recall?.....

For us it's not the same as an English "pickle" though. When we refer to a "pickle" it usually just means pickled cucumbers . Bread & Butter pickles are a sweet pickled cucumber as opposed to the more sour ones pickled with dill that are popular up north.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Today's simple pleasure: Making shrimp gumbo to have with my daughter and her family tonight.

Amazing how many posts are relating to food with family.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sounds great Steve - I was stripping some varnish in my (metal roofed) workshop when the heavens opened - lovely to be snug and hear it coming down :D

Maybe a thought for a thread - "What little thing did you enjoy today?" - All our snowdrop's are out - two little things in one day :)

Best to the lads!

A gratitude list is a good thing to have, it records the tiniest and biggest moments of enjoyment in our lives and can really help when the chips are down. Anything goes, from a simple cup of tea and toast, to a new born in the family, just anything in the day to be grateful for.

Start one Red.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If a kindly mod changes the title (or perhaps just adds "enjoy the little things" to this one) we could just use this one?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If a kindly mod changes the title (or perhaps just adds "enjoy the little things" to this one) we could just use this one?

I think it should be called "The Gratitude List". We all have so much to be thankful for on a daily basis, yet many of us find the negatives occupy the mind. I think we've been conditioned by years of it on the news, it's almost always bad news.

Time for some strong and crumbly Barbers Cruncher cheddar and a couple of pickled onions I think :)

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Sounds great Steve - I was stripping some varnish in my (metal roofed) workshop when the heavens opened - lovely to be snug and hear it coming down :D

Maybe a thought for a thread - "What little thing did you enjoy today?" - All our snowdrop's are out - two little things in one day :)

Best to the lads!

I like that idea, nice one Red.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Pickled shallots in Red Wine Vinegar ... PINK :D .

Pretty sure the last lot I did (in malt vinegar) were part Pirahna, so this lot should be interesting p

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We have some in the fridge will need to get stuck in to that ;)

Fresh log burning on the wood burning range, have just had a bacon sandwich and fresh coffee and the sausage rolls are in the oven, Not a normal morning but it is absolutely slinging it down and, since BB is home, we decided to have a day off and be pampered....does that qualify as a big thing? :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... bacon sandwich and fresh coffee ....does that qualify as a big thing? :)

Yup, but I'm guessing that having your Lady at home is the big thing and the rest are the smaller 'memory' details :D . One of next 'things' will be home cured bacon and, having developed an intolerance for tannin*, I've recently switched over to fresh(ish) coffee :D

* Can't be sure it's the tannin, but tea sits heavy and coffee doesn't :dunno:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Having a relaxed day, waking up a bit later than usual, having a big fry up, then sorting all the gear out and now sat with a kit kat and a cup of tea sorting my bag out for my first overnighter since doing my leg in last October. February half term so its a while yet but I love tinkering around packing my bag!

Red those sausage rolls look lush! :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not much simpler than a Sausage roll Cam - even if you start with a pig, a cow and a wheat field I could teach you to make one in a couple of hours from that level of basic. If you buy some frozen pastry and sausage meat its like three ingredients.

My daughter bakes them with her onion chutney on the inside which inspired me today (she runs a foody website for young people!)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
My daughter bakes them with her onion chutney on the inside which inspired me today (she runs a foody website for young people!)

Go on! You have to post a link after that.

This sounds like exactly the sort of site I'd like to point my kids at.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Breakfast with my grandsons this morning before Church. Nothing fancy, just a stop at McDonald's and the dollar menu (Sausage & Egg Mcmuffin for James and a Sausage Bisquit each for me and Carson.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was in work today until 6pm, so getting home and having a nice hug with my wife was the best thing I've done today. :)

Now have a planned unwind for the rest of the evening, and a bottle of red wine to help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE