Rucksack capacity?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks
Right...
Rucksack capacity has always sorta confused me... I've never really been able to figure out what I need.
So basically, how many litres should I be looking for, for a weekend trip?
Something that'll hold my axe, folding saw, knife, change of clothes, cooking gear, hammock, tarp, etc.....
Once again, I am confused :confused:
Cheers
Pete

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I know the problem and I'm no expert, but I would think 45-55 litre is OK. I can fit in a change of clothes, FAK, axe, SA Trangia, spare meths, poncho, hammock, tarp, ration pack, utility kit into a 55 litre.

The most important thing is whether you are going to strap a sleeping bag and bedroll (self inflating mat, bivvi bag, liners?) to the outside or not. This would take up a lot more space if you pack it inside the rucksack. Many people prefer this. I strap mine to the outside therefore, I have more space inside.

Bear in mind winter kit takes up a bit more room as it tends to bulkier.

Water is another space (and weight) issue. Do you have access to water or do you have to carry it? This consideration would add a couple more litres to the capacity needed.

The final consideration is for how long are you going to carry the rucksack and over what terrain. Bigger normally equals heavier I would suggest.

Hope this helps

Pablo

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I started with a 60, went to a 75 and have ended up with an 85.

A slightly larger sack means you can carry kit when it gets hot. What we tend to forget is that when the sun shines or we walk hard we get warm. So that small amount of extra space, which in the terms of sack space is a few ounces means you dont have to drape kit over the outside of you pack.
Also, larger sack means your axe, saw, knife can be placed out of view so you dont scare the natives!

Just a thought from someone who got it wrong a few times.

Sandsnakes

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
All my rucksacks have shrunk!

My 100l exped is 65+15

My overnighter is my old 35l daysack and I have a 20l daysack.

I have also added a Sabre 45 with PLCE with side pockets to my collection which make it 65 as I felt I needed something green, chances are if you have an axe, a knife etc, you won't need too much kit - you can make it as you go.

For water I strap a Camelbak under the lid, weight is in the right place and it doesn't take up room in the bag, it also means if I pop it, it's less likely to wet my kit.

Less weight, smaller bags and better knowledge has drastically improved my enjoyment of the outdoors.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Thanks for the help folks :)
The purpose in the short-term future is for the Loch Achray meet, and I was advised to either bring water or purification tabs, so I'll probably be bringing a few litres.
I'm looking at a few rucksacks right now, mostly in the 65l range.
I'm really looking to strap a sleeping bag to the outside, so that shouldn't take up extra space...
I'm kinda wondering now whether I should buy a trangia or just cook over an open fire to save space... hmm...

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Heh yeah with the side pouches on it feels like i got a wardrobe on my back! Still its great for winter hiking when youve got a huge sleeping bag/extra clothes. Just ordered a LK35 which I want to mod to 45l ish, might try to go.... lightwieght (drum roll, applause, etc) :lmao:

Daniel_sk

Feb 13, 2005
Slovakia
Some of my friends are using the LK35 (because they are available cheap at slovakian armyshops here). They even managed to pack everything for a 5 day trip, it's a magical rucksack :) And I had a 120l Bergen and that was just enough for me - the bigger rucksack you have, the more you are tempted to take things you don't really need.
I had been cooking on the fire for quite a long period, but then decided to use gas cookers and it's just great (I know, it's not the real bushcraft way...).

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ah great, magic rucksacks are absolute favourite kind! :D , yeah I find that as well, with 135ltr rucksack I have, you always end up thinking 'yeah but it may come in handy' Not so good after a days hiking and my back feels like its on fire :rolleyes: ! Pity, cos i paid £110 for it and it is a web-tex one which I thought should be pretty good but 2 zips are bust already!

Daniel_sk

Feb 13, 2005
Slovakia
I was always a bit sceptical over WebTex... I have the genuine Bergen longback version, cost me only 70 Euro with sidepockets and yoke (in great shape, I had luck on eBay). I really like this rucksack. I was using the ALICE Medium rucksack before I had the Bergen, but the ALICE was a horrible and very small rucksack - and the frame wasn't designed for tall people (I have 190cm), and nearly every alice will rip on one place where it attaches to the frame. I also have other different british army equipment, because it's of a very good quality (like the windproof smock, which I love).

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah I agree the web-tex one is not good for tall people! im 6ft3 (sorry dont know it in metric). the back system is not adjustable on the ultramax (that being my bag) so waistbelt just goes across my stomach and does not sit on my hips, and all they wieght rides on my shoulders. Still thats what you get for buying off the the internet i guess. :(

OldBaldGuy

Aug 6, 2004
California, USA
One thing to keep in mind...no matter what size you buy, you WILL fill it up, usually with stuff you don't need at all. So if you buy a large capacity, you will be carrying more weight than you need to...

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Hmm... sounds like I should try and keep it as small as possible :rolleyes: Methinks I'll go for a 65-80l, and try to pack as little as I can. I have a terrible tendancy to overpack...
Cheers ;)
Pete

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I dunno.. one advantage of a bigger sack is that you can just throw everything in in an emergency, and it'll still fit and not need precision Tetris style packing. I have a Sabre 75 with side pockets for normal use, and it is more than enough. I have just got a Sabre 45 for urban weekends away and day trips. I keep the side pouches on it and it has more than enough room then. I could do a long weekend camping trip with it easily, but the 75 + pouches is a lot less stressful with the same kit in it! More room for food.... ;)

K

KenC

I've had a revelation over this recently. My advice: get the smallest you can.

A few years ago I got a big Karrimor 60-100 sack, which is fantastic, but weighs about 2kg when it's empty...and always gets filled up. Ouch. Thats two lots of unncessary weight.

Now, for the weekend I use a 32 litre day sack, which is enough for everything I need (bag,tarp,hammock,trangia,spare clothes, knife, saw, waterfilter,food), even in March, and without having to strap anything on the side. It's a challenge to get it in; but that just means I only carry the things I need. Belive me, if you're planning to walk anywhere it makes an enormous difference.

65 litres is plenty (you won't need to strap anything to the outside); then work your way down.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I use a 70ltr pak whether im away for a week or 2 or a weekend, which works for me well all year round. The only thing that changes in it, is the thermal property of spare clothes and sleeping bag during the coarse of the year. :D

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
good saying but i don't know who said it is "the bigger your rucksack the more ya kichen sink it" ie your just stuffing in kit that you don't need just cos it will fit or-ray's got one (but you never use it)or- it cost loads but it's useless so you'll use it up if it kills you :) as well as your new better one :) ...karl-want vs need we all want a 50" tv but do you really need one?? or is it just cos next doors got one?? think about that in a bushcraft way n ya won't do ya back in!!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
yep ill second that, I bought a big 'sack cos I thought the space would 'come in handy'. Im my experience I always end up with a ton of stuff I dont need, just cos you I can afford the space. Like I say I was gutted with my web-tex basically its crap! I had 70ltr bag that cost a third of the price for ages and never had any trouble... Until the strap ripped off, but I think that was more constant abuse than manufacture faults! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE