Ruck sack for the west highland way?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Northwoods

Jul 17, 2015
Uk
Hi people,
I'm looking for a rucksack to use for the west highland way, I dont want one with bright colours and generally prefer old materials as opposed to nylon but I'm open to suggestions..

any recommendations ? my budget is about £70 tops

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I have a vgc Karrimor Jaguar 55/75, in grey, plus rain cover, that I'm bringing to the moot to sell. £40 pick up at the moot, or £40 + PP fees + delivery.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I've a go-lite jam 55 which is coming to the moot for sale for £67 or a bit more if posted. It's grey and hasn't been used - I've got a Cuben instead from HMG.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Have a look at the older karrimor jaguars on ebay, they are a really good pack with an adjustable back length so suit most people, mine has been used by me, my daughter & my son.

Rob

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
65 litres? Wow I'm working to 55 these days but I do have Cuben gear, and a quilt, and very dodgy knees.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
For clothing I usually have one on and one off - so walking leggings, walking t shirt plus one of each in rucksack, then I have a walking skirt I wear all the time, and one long sleeved thermal top, and a windshirt and a puffy. And a nice silk scarf which does duty as a head band or neck warmer and one big silk scarf which does duty as a big scarf or a substitute skirt. It's not always pretty but it is light.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Wow, I get everything I need into a 35lt patrol pack and a 12lt bum bag, West Highland Way, Spey Side Way, Great Glen, Coastal walks everything. A 50lt pack should be plenty for a 3 season bag Bro.
As Scots Charles River said, no food resupply between Inversnaid and Benglas Farm, it's not far 11K-12K but rough going, Doune bothy is a cracking place to stop. The WHW is a ace walk but I would have to recommend doubling back at Benglas farm a short bit off the way and checking out the Drovers Inn, one of Rob Roy MacGregors locals and pub of the year 1705 ;-) Inveroran /Loch Tulla to Kings House "Rannoch Moor" 16K on Wade's old military road, easy going really, but can be very exposed in bad weather.
Get a pack with side pockets, very handy. Its a great trip enjoy.
Ps Midge net, worth its weight in gold.

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-explorer-60-plus-10-rucksack-p203348
A Vango Explorer 60 + 10

Big enough to winter walk and camp out overnight up a snowy mountain. Just big enough for a days winter climbing, but a rope draped under the lid. And that's a lot of weight. The waist strap and hip strapis very comfy. And all that kit has not damaged the stitching etc.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
For clothing I uiually have one on and one off - so walking leggings, walking t shirt plus one of each in rucksack, then I have a walking skirt I wear all the time, and one long sleeved thermal top, and a windshirt and a puffy. And a nice silk scarf which does duty as a head band or neck warmer and one big silk scarf which does duty as a big scarf or a substitute skirt. It's not always pretty but it is light.

Pretty cold on the WHW, over 1000ft up. There was a frost in some glens last week. I appreciate an expensive small sleeping bag does save a lot of volume.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Yes - I'm not a fan of chilly, I missed out the socks, hat, gloves and liners, oh and the puffy has a hood, and I have a poncho too to go over the whole lot. I've found that a t shirt plus a thermal long sleeve, plus a Berghaus vapour light jacket, and a puffy plus skirt and thermal leggings and scarf, hat, hood and gloves keep me warm even when standing still in jolly cold Wales on exposed trips up the beacons, or in Snowdonia. And worked jolly well when digging in Orkney in mid summer (ie hail and snow).

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
i really would like to do the WHW , sounds awesome , is may the best time as the Midges up there do my head in.!!

Northwoods

Jul 17, 2015
Uk
Thanks for the recommendations, however as I'm having to buy so much other stuff (sleeping bag, bru-kit etc) I've decided just go with one I had from Tesco, it only cost me a fiver in the sale and looks about 60 liters capacity. looks ok except its orange and black/grey.

Re: The midges, i've got some Avon 'skin so soft' so will find out if it actually works!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE