Royal Mail or shoud I say Fail!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Got home today to find a missed delivery card from Royal Fail.

I rang the sorting office but after 10 minutes of listening to the phone ring, but not getting an answer, decided to drive over to collect said parcel.

After queuing for nearly 15 minutes, I got to the front of the queue only to be told that due to new policies I couldn't couldn't have my SPECIAL DELIVERY BEFORE 1PM item until tomorrow...no exceptions, he wouldn't even look on the shelf to see if it was actually there!

Rant over...at least I'll have my new toy for the weekend.

Simon

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Why order special delivery before 1pm if your not going to be there to receive it :D

Minor emergency meant I had to nip out...

in the past I've been able to collect the missed delivery item within a couple of hours...why is it now 24?
Why was the card not completed by the Postie with the collection time?
Why did no one answer the phone when I rang?

shoddy, second rate service IMHO.
Simon

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I recently waited for 30 minutes for them to pick-up the phone.
In their defence sometimes the parcel does not get back to the sorting office until last thing in the evening.
BUT just not to even check just in-case is daft. If at all possible I avoid using them which is a shame but they do not help them selves.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Go back and tell them that you paid the extra for the next day delivery and they cannot by law withhold a parcel from you as long as you have correct ID etc to collect.
If the parcel is in there office it is rightfully yours even if in there possession.

If they still say no demand to see the sorting office manager and tell him you will seek legal advice if they continue to hold your parcel.
Cant find the website now but its written online somewhere, as others have had this problem in the past including me, its in your statuary right to be able to collect your item if they have them.

Will keep looking for the website and post a link if i find it, but the law says its yours and they cannot hold it from you.
(unless they think its a suspect package and then must get the police involved under the new terrorism laws.)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Yes if they fail to attemp first delivery, which they did. this is really about poor after service with failing to answer the phone or fill in the card properly with a time for collection. they are not in any legal or regulatory breach. A freedom of information request was submitted on this very subject and the RM reply was that 24 hours is the standard they operate to

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
If you have paid for a service then under the agreement you have with them for next day before 1pm postage he can at least claim back the costs, as they are breaking there agreement with you for the services they are providing. As he has been into the office to collect the item he is well within his right to complain and get his money back, they cannot refuse to give you a package they have as it does not belong to them.
Its written in there general terms and conditions also part of your statutory rights.

When they said to me i cannot collect my missed special delivery item i went straight to the citizens advice bureau and they told me all this and showed me the websites, i went straight back to the sorting office with the printouts from the site and they immediately apologized and gave me my item as well as refunding my costs.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
shoddy, second rate service IMHO.
Simon

the sooner the Germans buy it and run it efficiently like all their things the better.

royal-mail.gif

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
[QUOTE

Simon[/QUOTE]

Because they're busy giving people their parcels/letters etc,they don't have time to answer the phone.

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
If you have paid for a service then under the agreement you have with them for next day before 1pm postage he can at least claim back the costs, as they are breaking there agreement with you for the services they are providing. As he has been into the office to collect the item he is well within his right to complain and get his money back, they cannot refuse to give you a package they have as it does not belong to them.
Its written in there general terms and conditions also part of your statutory rights.

When they said to me i cannot collect my missed special delivery item i went straight to the citizens advice bureau and they told me all this and showed me the websites, i went straight back to the sorting office with the printouts from the site and they immediately apologized and gave me my item as well as refunding my costs.

Actually,until the mail lands on your doormat,it is the property of Royal Mail.
Plus,the person who posted the item and paid the postage in branch is the customer,NOT the recipient.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
[QUOTE

Simon

Because they're busy giving people their parcels/letters etc,they don't have time to answer the phone.[/QUOTE]

We have similar problems with the USPS. They usually do get to the phone but as you say they're understaffed for the job. While it's not the fault of the individual employees it is still a valid complaint though; if they need more staffing an efficient management should provide it. The question is, does the taxpayer want to fund it?

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
My experience with the post office sucks, but my Regular postie Dave is a good guy and knows the score when it comes to parcels etc.

But the post office it's self is a joke, I left it the 24 hours once to go collect a parcel and it got sent back to Warrington for some reason?? And Try buying a Game Fishing licence, seriously they have no idea what one is I said the ones at the back of the book and then got told that they where told not to sell them?? Farcical truly farcical.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE