rowan tree?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
I think this tree is a rowan can anyone positively I'd and help with uses I've heard berries are good for jam ?
21b3318902cf31dc516d0a7c019e01d3.jpg
195406b898279322c837a31cc558db73.jpg

denny 😊

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Unmistakebly Rowan; Very strong wood suitable for many uses and you can make a jelly from the berries that goes well with game meats; also known as the Wicken......

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Definitely a rowan. There are several different cultivars so they vary a little one from the other sometimes. Make a jelly from the fruit, it has a slightly bitter edge to the taste and goes very well with meat and cheese, rather like redcurrant jelly.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Boil up the berries until soft in just enough water to cover. If you want jelly strain it through a jelly bag or several layers of clean tea towels, then to every pint of juice add 1 pound of sugar. (Sorry, I learned from my Mum back in the 1960s so it comes in Imperial measurements). Boil until it sets, you can test it by putting a bit on a cold plate and letting it cool for a minute, if it wrinkles when you push your finger through it it's ready to put into jars.

It should make fruit leather just fine.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Much nicer if made with apples though. Still has a tang like good marmalade but not so bitter that it's hard to enjoy.
I like rowans :) Right now mine has a honeysuckle growing up through it :D

As rowan and apple jelly they are served like marmalade.

Basically weight for weight fruit and water. The rowans are maybe eight or nine big spreads in 3kgs of apples. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until the fruits break to mush, usually well under an hour. Pour into a jelly bag (or muslin lined sieve) and hang to drip overnight. Don't squeeze or you'll make cloudy jelly.

Next day, measure liquid and add a gram of sugar per ml of liquid. i.e. Iltr gets Ikg added.

Bring slowly to a rolling boil, meanwhile wash and warm jars. Test for setting by dribbling a little on a cold plate. When the surface crinkles, it's ready to be potted. Remove pot from heat and allow to cool a little. Pour into jars and seal with wax papers and jam covers.
Keeps for ever..........unless ancient uncles and sons find out it's in the pantry :rolleyes: :D Awfully good with oatcakes and cheese :cool:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77016

M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Rowan jelly is great. Just boil it up as per any normal fruit jelly recipe. Worth trying the berries raw just as a taster. Some are incredibly bitter, but others are quite palatable, and it varies considerably from tree to tree and year to year.

Rowan jelly (with or without apple) is great with meats, hot or cold, and seems to keep forwever.

Greeny

Jun 21, 2015
Cheshire
Great with lamb,as the astringency hints at dry vermouth which is a common sheep-meat accompaniment.....add a delicate 'herby' rather than 'florid' honey to temper the bite but maintain the flavour.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You can also use the berries to flavour alcohol like vodka or gin. It may need some sugar adding to offset the bitterness, though it also works as a sour schnapps, depending on your taste buds.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
You can also use the berries to flavour alcohol like vodka or gin. It may need some sugar adding to offset the bitterness, though it also works as a sour schnapps, depending on your taste buds.

And like an alchoholic :rolleyes:, im going to jump in here and ask if you can giive a rough guide to measurements and length of time neded to sit before sampling? (Im in a tent for the next month or so from today and wouldn,t mind trying a brew up from a tent instead of my kitchen!))

Thanks,
Stephen:eek:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I made Rowan marmalade (that's what the recipe called it). Boil berries and when soft push through a sieve. Weight the mush and follow the normal pound for pound with sugar and boil. Jas etc. Was great with poate etc and not the extra work of making jelly and getting it clear.

I've heard that you can squeeze one or two berries and add to gin to give it a flavour.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
And like an alchoholic :rolleyes:, im going to jump in here and ask if you can giive a rough guide to measurements and length of time neded to sit before sampling? (Im in a tent for the next month or so from today and wouldn,t mind trying a brew up from a tent instead of my kitchen!))

Thanks,
Stephen:eek:

Recipe:
Bottle of vodka (or alcohol of choice)
Enough berries to fill a quarter of the bottle
Sugar (if wanted) up to the same depth. Adjust to taste.
Leave several months until flavour is how you want it (keep tasting), and the liquid is orange.
Decant off the liquid
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE