Rover Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimG

Feb 10, 2012
Kent
No probs mate, just thought I'd mention it as I spoke to him about it again a few weeks ago.

Good luck in your search, you won;t go far wrong with CI

Rich, out of interest, what are the benefits of a smock as opposed to a jacket. I would have thought a jacket would be easier to get on and off, and more practical due having more pockets.

JimG

Feb 10, 2012
Kent
Well, I just called CI to get some advice. The lady I spoke to was very kind and has arranged for someone with a bit more knowledge to call me back on Monday. She said that she will hold the sale price for me as well! Seems like a good customer focused company.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich, out of interest, what are the benefits of a smock as opposed to a jacket. I would have thought a jacket would be easier to get on and off, and more practical due having more pockets.

No benefits as far as I know Jim, I just prefer a smock than a jacket. With a jacket you get better ventilation options but I think with a smock you get better pocket configurations, i.e the big kangaroo pocket. It's the same with my hiking jackets, I prefer the over the head varieties. It just down to choice really.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
A question if i may- why would you have a ventile jacket with a waterproof lining? i take it the lining is of a man made material? surely the whole point of ventile is that its made from natural fibre's(cotton) and its limitation's are known,so why would you then have a man made waterproof lining in it? you may as well just wear a man made waterproof outer? surely as well the lining would affect the ventiles natural breathability? and make you sweaty and clammy inside? i made the mistake of buying the swanndri shirt with the waterproof membrane used it once it got wet and stayed wet for ages because the liner would'nt all the air to flow through it(i cut out the liner).Its also kinda cheating as well as if admiting hey this aint waterproof so we add a waterproof liner.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
The use of a liner could be a cost thing cheeper to put a man made liner in rarther than the second layer of ventile. I have to say I have not had any problem with moisture transportation with mine but there again the weather has been a bit on the cold side. I have to say I do like how ventile drapes and its feel.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hi nodd,cheers for the answer,was'nt trying to come across anti ventile or confrontational, just seems strange to me to put a man made lining in to a natural fibre jacket,it kinda goes against the grain for me.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I have a Keela falkland Jacket it keeps me dry and breathes well enough not to get wet inside , but then again i didn't buy it to do any strenuous walking or climbing i have a goretex for that. It is mostly used for walking the dog and sitting around campfires so nothing that would build up a lot of sweat.
I have had it out in some pretty heavy rain and it dries out fairly quickly probably quicker than a double layer ventile.

Craig..........

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Hi Andy I know what you mean, it did seem strange to me at first, it seems to be something all the makers of ventile clothing do. The liner is the same as that used in the Keela Munro.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Definitely added protection with the liner Andy, with it being single layer it needs it round the shoulders etc. I think another plus could be the weight saving, it also keeps it more flexible in rain compared to a double layer, the cardboard effect is fairly minimal on my Kestrel.

I like the idea of ventile as it stands up well to bushwhacking and is safer round the fire than a synthetic. With the Kestrel and the liner you get the best of both worlds.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
A question if i may- why would you have a ventile jacket with a waterproof lining?

1. Cost. The membrane liner is likely less expensive to produce than a double layer ventile jacket so the RRP can be a significantly lower

2. Weight. The liner will make the jacket lighter ( wet and dry) than double layer ventile.

3. Noise. The ventile outer will not rustle or make excessive noise compared to most membrane jackets. Which is what you want for Birdwatching etc which is the 'target' market of the jacket.

Not having done a lot of 'twitching' my take is it's not a high physical activity pursuit like say hill walking so the need for ultimate breatheability is probably less of a concern.

Smocks are in theory more water resistant and windproof as you have less of a zip closure to proof against wind or water ingress.

HTH

JimG

Feb 10, 2012
Kent
1. Cost. The membrane liner is likely less expensive to produce than a double layer ventile jacket so the RRP can be a significantly lower

2. Weight. The liner will make the jacket lighter ( wet and dry) than double layer ventile.

3. Noise. The ventile outer will not rustle or make excessive noise compared to most membrane jackets. Which is what you want for Birdwatching etc which is the 'target' market of the jacket.

Not having done a lot of 'twitching' my take is it's not a high physical activity pursuit like say hill walking so the need for ultimate breatheability is probably less of a concern.

Smocks are in theory more water resistant and windproof as you have less of a zip closure to proof against wind or water ingress.

HTH

Thanks Johnboy. Not being a twitcher either, which jacket would be better for dog walks for breathability. In terms of exertion, I would say moderate. Normally they last under two hours, and are mainly on mild - moderate hills.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
The Rover is pretty breathable, lots of options for venting, not as good as goretex et al but it works well for me doing the activities you describe. The double layer certainly provides insurance against heavy persistent rain.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Thanks Johnboy. Not being a twitcher either, which jacket would be better for dog walks for breathability. In terms of exertion, I would say moderate. Normally they last under two hours, and are mainly on mild - moderate hills.

Hard to say.. Some folk fundamentally are a lot 'sweatier' than others..

I think that either of the Jackets would be fine for what you want TBH from a breatheability perspective. It's likely down to styling, construction and fit...

JimG

Feb 10, 2012
Kent
Fair enough re the answer's to my question, and as yet i have'nt got a ventile jacket/smock, though personnely if i did id want one without any man made lining.

I'll probably go with the Rover as it's double Ventile; unless Country Innovation convince me otherwise when I speak to the them tomorrow. I fear the Rover maybe too much for my fairly basic needs. The Keela is in my sites too.

JimG

Feb 10, 2012
Kent
Just to end this thread, although I think everyone has stopped reading it now, the jacket has now arrived and I couldn't be more pleased. It's comfortable, well made and looks very smart.

Haven't tested it out in the rain yet as it only arrived yesterday. I can certainly recommend Country Innovation as a company.

Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE