Rough Close Spring TORM Meet 12 - 16 March 2015

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Having checked the weather, for Friday, myself and my daughter, are thinking that the only on-site entertainment would be to sit under tarps and watch the rain fall around us. So we were wondering if it would be possible to bum a lift to the Torm market. We would be more than happy to be General dogs bodies to lend a hand fetching and carrying and fetching brews. One seat in two different vehicles would be fine. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Updates in Red

Meet List
:

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet ... and include this line in the paste.

1. decorum
2. Mesquite
3. Midnitehound
4. Neil and Clare
5. Treadlightly
6. TinkyPete (Saturday only now)
7. Rob L
8. Bilmo (TBC)
9. Wayland and maybe Debs.
10. Stonehippo
11. Dave Budd
12. Hammock_man (Coach tickets booked)
13. Phoenix (ditto)
14. ToveRebecca (TBC!)
15. Badger

due to family commitments I will only be there early Saturday now will walk in a keep quiet :(
I will be going to Torm and have room in car if needed
Not able to stay the night but hope to leave lateish :)

>>>

From posts #39 and #40 ~ "Does anyone want Kangaroo, Ostrich or Venison burgers on the Friday night, in a roll like?"

The meat will be at cost and only about £1-1.50..

We'll also be providing the cooking facilities and sundries.

I also have TTD Minted Lamb Burgers, TTD Wild Boar Burgers, Venison Sausages and if you really want, Crocodile Burgers! :) "

MNH - I shall be bringing the usual kitchen stuff such as a table, lights, frying pan, gas cooker etc.

MEAT LIST!!:

01. MNH 1xRoo 1xOsti 1xBambi
02. Rob L 2xRoo 2xOsti 2xBambi
03. Mesquite 1xRoo, 1xOsti, 1xBambi
04. Hammock_Man 2xRoo, 2xOsti
05. Dave Budd 1xskippy, 1xBambi's mum, and 1xleggy bird
06. There are currently spares, one of each as they come in pairs. Any takers? Also have Minted Lamb and Wild Boar.
>>>

Total so far: 7xRoo 7xOsti 5xBambi - I have just bought in 8xRoo, 8xOsti and 6x Bambi burgers.

Saturday Night Sausage Fest:

Bring along 6 speciality/premium sausages (none of your cheap nasty Walls type sausages allowed) per person and we fry them up over the fire and everyone has a lucky dip. We can also do mash potatoes as well if folks would like some.

1. Mesquite
2. Wayland
3. Dave Budd
4. Mnh ~ Mulling over throwing in 6 Wild Boar and Apple (or Venison if preferred) , then having 6 split between Rob and myself.
Whoops, accidentally bought 6x Venison sausages instead, I'm sure we'll manage though.
;)
Mash sounds good, shall I do onion gravy? Is someone bringing a masher?
5. Hammock_man (
Silesian Sausage)
6. Phoenix (ditto)
7. Rob L
>>>

From post 58:

Hopefully* the communal fire wood's sorted. At the time of typing it's looking like the cost is going to be something like £2.00 per person per night. A load of rounds are stacked and ready for loading onto the trailer.

* It is sorted, but until it's _there_ I prefer to consider it as a 'hopeful' ;)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Having checked the weather, for Friday, myself and my daughter, are thinking that the only on-site entertainment would be to sit under tarps and watch the rain fall around us.

:canoe: We try to not invoke the curse/wrath of Twang-Twang :yikes:

Knowledge of the area means anything could happen ;) (I've camped in a good amount of snow at RC and and then found the local area's been free of it ... :dunno: )

OK. It's just going to be me this time. Debs has wussed out and she reckons she doesn't need anything from the market.

Pity :( , give her a hug from us :grouphug:

due to family commitments I will only be there early Saturday now will walk in a keep quiet :(
I will be going to Torm and have room in car if needed
Not able to stay the night but hope to leave lateish :)

Sorry to hear you'll not make the whole Meet but it'll be good to catch up :D . When you say 'latish' do you mean before or after the sausage fest?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Thanks for lift offer sir, can I be cheeky and wonder if there are any other on offer. We will on site tea time Thursday so will let ourselves be known. You may remember Kim doing the beer at bushmoot.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
If anyone wants some new ratpaks (£8), Dyneema (£7/10m), reflective 550 paracord in Red or Orange or Black (£4/100') then yell tonight. I've also got long handled burger grillers and long handled mini fry pans at £12 I think. There will be plenty of wood and all the meat is acquired.

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Afraid things have overtaken me and I can't make this. Have a good one, enjoy TORM and the obvious good company on offer around the fire. I hope to see you at the next one.

stonehippo

Forager
May 15, 2011
Birmingham
I am going to cry off this one. I have a little stomached trouble and don't want to be too far from modern facilities if you catch my drift. Look forward to the next one though.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Thanks for organising this Phil, it was a great weekend.

We had plenty of clean burning firewood to maintain a good sized fire for three nights and much of the daytime with some to spare thanks to Rob L.'s efforts to transport it all.

A good fire and a parachute cover really makes a meet. We only had one bout of rain in time to lull us to sleep on Thursday night and it knocked off before lunch on Friday.

Skippy and the Leggy Birds went down very well as did the Sausage Fest. The mash was rather good even if I did only find the Bisto afterwards, probably best with paper plates really. (Bag of Maris, 1kg sweet pot, tub of sour cream, a load of butter and for next time some cracked pepper.) Dave Budd saved the night by adjusting a SS spatula to a custom Budd built Potato masher using Rob's Saturn 5 rocket set up. The opportunity to own your own shall be made available.

It seems we were donated a new DD XL 3x4.5 Olive tarp by someone, it is difficult to tell but it says something like Mess Kit on the packet! ;)Highest bidder wins.

Emily and Steve had an annulment due to unresolvable differences from the get go, she was too short regardless of how much we pulled on her. I'm currently working on another offering that comes with straps.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Thanks to Phil for organising the meet. I had a great time even if it was to short. Was great to see old and new faces and do some catching up. Nice and relaxing. OH how I have missed being in the woods with excellent company and I glad I am able to get back to coming to meets with the Midlands crowd.
More ideas are floating round my head for projects this year and I should have the time as well :)

Torm was a good as ever and I really liked my purchases even though the bottle of rum is going to have to wait till i have a weekend to enjoy it (but the taster was good). A couple of bottle of mead and lot of purchases for the Jerky guy (Cowleys) who will also be at the Gathering :), another purchase from Dave Budd a nice new spoon knife (folder next time at the Gathering)

Thanks again to everyone and even watching Dave improvise a potato masher was fun amazing how quick it was done on the burner or should I say rocket jet engine stove :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks to all those who came along :D and sorry we missed you to those stalled by real life.

... it was a great weekend...

That it was :D

...A good fire and a parachute cover really makes a meet. We only had one bout of rain in time to lull us to sleep on Thursday night and it knocked off before lunch on Friday.

Yeah ... it rained quite well! Certainly well enough to prove the ditch work done so far ;) :rofl:

It rained on and off on the Monday prior to leaving the site .... I pretty much got soaked to the skin on the ride home :yikes: :eek: :rofl:

...Dave Budd saved the night by adjusting a SS spatula to a custom Budd built Potato masher using Rob's Saturn 5 rocket set up.

But doesn't that count as creating tools from foraged materials? :)

...It seems we were donated a new DD XL 3x4.5 Olive tarp by someone, it is difficult to tell but it says something like Mess Kit on the packet! ;)Highest bidder wins.

Steve's, I think.

... I had a great time even if it was to short. >>><<< Nice and relaxing. OH how I have missed being in the woods with excellent company and I glad I am able to get back to coming to meets with the Midlands crowd...

It was good to catch up :approve:

... More ideas are floating round my head for projects this year and I should have the time as well :)

Torm was a good as ever and I really liked my purchases

That's why I like the various markets, so many ideas :)

... Thanks again to everyone and even watching Dave improvise a potato masher was fun amazing how quick it was done on the burner or should I say rocket jet engine stove :)

Was good, wasn't it :) . And that Swiss double burner is a bit of kit looking for a temptation to break :D And Rob's home made housing .... :notworthy :headbang:

Many many thanks, we had a great time

Good to have met yourselves and I hope the trip back was nice and smooth :)

I didn't take many pics. I'll try to remember to put them into the thread later when I'm on the PC.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
It rained on and off on the Monday prior to leaving the site .... I pretty much got soaked to the skin on the ride home :yikes: :eek: :rofl:

That was down to me. So very very sorry about that. When we saw the dates we booked coach tickets to get the most time on site. I did not know that you have to see us off. Again so sorry

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
That was down to me.

Nah, it's more likely that you invoked the wrath of Twang-Twang by merely mentioning the weather in thread :canoe: :eek: :rofl:

Andy taught us to use the 'r' word at our peril :yikes: :lmao:

Really, don't sweat it. I was poking Mnh for him claiming "We only had one bout of rain ..." ;) . Besides, it kept me from overheating on my trip home :approve: :rofl: .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I didn't take many pics. I'll try to remember to put them into the thread later when I'm on the PC.

Mode of transport ~ communal chute and rigging accessories are in the bag, the board went onto the newly built bridge to spread the load over the weekend. The trailer is in the process of being modded. Originally it was a bicycle child trailer. The big black box is far more weather resistant! :approve:

Modded sunshade used as an all weather tarp. It's not perfect, but it's a good inroads to what I actually want/need ~ it's a sun-shelter, it works well ... until it rains :yikes: .

Cavernous space. There's plenty of mods I've an eye on ~ but I think a bespoke jobbie is calling ;)

Blessed squirrels did a good job of chomping on my food box ~ ate an amount of the hinge but got no food :dancer:

Friday's wood pile ~ might not look much but the line away from the fire pit is a few feet long ;) .

Saturday's wool pile ... y'know the old adage 'Be mindful of where you place your feet!'? :rofl:

Anyone else?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE