Rough Close - Midlands Meet July 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
16 - 18 July 2010.

Arrival time – from 17:00 on the 16th

Fees – I need to have all monies before 10am on the Sunday.

EDIT: As per usual, we're on PC11 :cool: .

As per usual, the location is Rough Close.
This is a child friendly site and your youngsters are welcome.

Site map and Grey scale map

Site fees are £4.40 - Important! - please note that any monies given (by individuals, groups, families etc) which is above the camping fees will be automatically considered to be a donation to Rough Close campsite to aid with site maintenance, site regeneration etc.

Following on from the ’Leave no Trace’ thread and to try to pre-empt possible problems:

What follows is going to make the Meet (and site) very rule bound – in fact both are quite relaxed. These rules are there because we, as a group, and the site have a reputation to maintain. Unfortunately the world is full of critics who love to point a finger – and we're there on the trust that we’ve worked hard to gain.

This list isn't exhaustive - common sense applies!

Forum members are responsible for themselves, the kit they use and their own actions at a Meet – if you bring along family (or a friend) then you also accept responsibility for them and their actions whilst they are on site.

Forum members under the age of 18 are welcome. However, they must be accompanied by at least one parent (or legal guardian).

You brought it in, you take it out – camping fees do not include a rubbish collection fee! The sites bin is the big orange thing in the campers car park.

Fees must be paid. It’s rare, but sometimes people forget.

Responsible drinking of alcohol is ok – drugs are prohibited!

‘Appropriate’ behaviour: The site can, at any time, decline a booking – they can also ask* us (individually or wholly) to leave during the Meet. Be aware that other users of the site might be passing by our pitch at any time of the day or night – I do get feedback!

* i.e. Tell. The site is registered as educational land, there is neither a choice nor an ability to negotiate. Fees would still be owed!

Dropping kit off - The parking bay by the adjacent Guild Field is for the use of those who have booked the field (and/or cabin). If the field/cabin is booked for use then it is a requirement that permission is sought (and given) before you drive down.
Oh. And please don't attempt to drive down the back track :)pokenest: Dave! :pokenest: :lmao:)

Parking - Vehicles need to be parked up in the campers car park.

Fires – Fire scars reduce the options of where and how we can pitch – ground fires can leave dips in the ground. All traces of where a fire has been need to be properly removed (not dumped elsewhere) and the ground left as close (or better) as possible to it’s natural state.

Food - Unless organised prior to the Meet, you need to bring enough food to feed yourself while you are at the Meet.
Accidents do happen and people will try to help out where they can - If you are visiting someone else’s pitch do not expect to be fed.

Use the appropriate tools at the appropriate times.

It would be wise to be carrying a torch before it gets dark! It could also be provident to put markers on your shelter so you can find it in the dark.

The pitch is suitable for using tents, hammocks and bivvies - use what you have and are comfortable using. Even with 30+ using the pitch there is still ample room to bring/use one type and trial/experiment with another.

If you stick your name down and can no longer make it, please say so.

In the highly unlikely event that I need this ... I reserve the right to stop any individual(s) from attending a Meet.

The Old Hands.

The Old Hands are some of the long standing regulars. These regulars are folks who know the site and can (usually) point you in the right direction. The right direction might be pointing you towards the water tap or toilets, to let you know that there may have been a better time to do what you're doing, taking camping fees if I'm not available etc.

The regulars who accept this role are doing so voluntarily and will make the choice to do so on a Meet by Meet basis. To aid identification, those regulars who have volunteered for the role at any particular Meet will have the title 'Old Hand' after their screen name in the Meet list. The Old hands are also there to help me make sure that our reputation with Rough Close remains as high as it is now - In effect the Old Hands will be Meet Mods.

The 'Touchy Subject' bit:

Because the site is, first and foremost, a Scout camp site, the only people we can't accommodate are those who would, purposely or otherwise, do harm to others. Primarily, this means that if you would be found unfit to adopt or foster a child then you can’t come along – same goes for anyone knowingly under investigation or having had an allegation made against them and is awaiting investigation.

It's fine if you want to:

be on your own
lay on your back looking at the sky, clouds, birds flying over et.c
whittle
practice 'stuff' - except tree felling; the site has strong opinions about that :lmao:
practice flora and fauna i.d
so on and so forth ...

This is, in no way, a bushcraft course and it's for you to make of it what you will.

Meet List:

decorum

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Just to highlight a section which folks seem to miss ...

Site fees are £4.40 - Important! - please note that any monies given (by individuals, groups, families etc) which is above the camping fees will be automatically considered to be a donation to Rough Close campsite to aid with site maintenance, site regeneration etc.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Muddy Boots

Whoop Whoop first on the list -awesome!

Got my little tin of MANWOOD through the post on saturday as well.

Nordic Summer rocks!

Although my Mrs thinks it smells like coal tar!

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Muddy Boots

Whoop Whoop first on the list -awesome!

:lmao:

Only because you knocked me off :yikes: :p

:lmao:

... Meet List:

decorum

Meet List:

decorum
Muddy Boots

... Got my little tin of MANWOOD through the post on saturday as well.

Nordic Summer rocks!

Although my Mrs thinks it smells like coal tar!

It does indeed rock :viking::pokenest:

Top up your smokey ruggedness with with no need to light a fire :yikes: .

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Yes please, been looking forward to this! Cheers Phil

decorum
Muddy Boots
nolightweight
Mesquite
Sasquatch

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Nice one Phil. :)

If the Meets keep coming along this often; I can't see me ever unpacking the car fully :camping::lmao:

decorum
Muddy Boots
nolightweight
Mesquite
Sasquatch
Twodogs TBC
Andy2112 tbc
MartinK9

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
oh go on then, you've talked me into it

decorum
Muddy Boots
nolightweight
Mesquite
Sasquatch
Twodogs TBC
Andy2112 tbc
MartinK9
shaggystu

cheers
stuart

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I am not able to make this one as I am in the middle of getting people ready for Afghan, but if I do get a day off or some time I may pop in for a bit but it looks unlikely :(

You guys have fun and if meets keep coming round this often I may be able to make others, parts of August is looking free for me at the second :)

Just to highlight a section which folks seem to miss ...Site fees are £4.40 - Important! - please note that any monies given (by individuals, groups, families etc) which is above the camping fees will be automatically considered to be a donation to Rough Close campsite to aid with site maintenance, site regeneration etc.

typical, why don't people pay attention:theyareon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE