Rough Close Meet ~ January 2012

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Hoping to get there tomorrow but if not it may be Saturday.

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

Meet List:

decorum
udamiano
Mesquite
bushcraftsurvival
Wayland
Teepee
Outdoory (poss +1)
leaf man (possible +1)
Snowfire
Spikey DaPikey (TBC)
PeterH (poss arriving Fri, if not then Sat!)

Remember to bring in some potable water if you can. Doing so will probably save you time and effort ~ drinking water will be available at the main toilet block but, over the winter season, the stand pipe tap supply is turned off and drained to prevent frost damage.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm hoping to get there on Friday afternoon, but it may be Saturday due to a job that could take longer than I hope.

Looking forward to meeting everyone :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Back from the meet and had a cracking time. Thank you to Decorum for facilitating it and Damian for the firewood :)

It was great to see so many new faces there, hopefully they'll come back :) though I did hear one person thought we were quieter than they were expecting :dunno: :D

Nov 16, 2011
coventry
i had a great time for the 1 night i was there and i will deffinatly be back in march with a few little kit changes. thanks for your hospitality nice to meet you all. joe

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
Back from the meet and had a cracking time. Thank you to Decorum for facilitating it and Damian for the firewood :)

It was great to see so many new faces there, hopefully they'll come back :) though I did hear one person thought we were quieter than they were expecting :dunno: :D

Yep, I did say that you were quieter than I was expecting - but for me that was a positive, not a criticism.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thank you to all those who came along and made for a great weekend ~ Great to catch up with the older faces and just as good to meet the new :grouphug:.

This one was compact and bejou ~ but immensely good fun :approve: . I even managed to get man_of_tanith's 2012 15 items or less challenge done ~ in fact it was fourteen items* and it was still three trips to the car to set up :rofl: .

* plus the specified freebies (FAC etc).

The Next Meet will be Thursday 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] March to Sunday 25[SUP]th[/SUP] March.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The weekend was top, thanks all for being so welcoming. :)

I'll definitely be back, my hammock finding skills need some more work.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Thanks to one and all, a relaxing weekend to try a few things out. My new new sleeping bag had it's first trip out which resulted in a rather longer ....... than expected doze in this morning :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Some photos of the event.

can't seem to link the photos from my photo bucket account, so here is the link

http://s379.photobucket.com/albums/oo233/udamiano/Rough Close January 2012/

Here you go :)

P1000329.jpg

P1000327.jpg

P1000326.jpg

P1000325.jpg

P1000324.jpg

P1000323.jpg

P1000320.jpg

P1000319.jpg

P1000317.jpg

As for me.... I forgot to get my camera out of the car :eek:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A few pics ~ after taking pics of my set up for the 15 Items Challenge, I put the camera away and promptly forgot to take any more over the weekend :eek: .

Home for the weekend ~ pup tent (item 1) used as a tarp. The small rectangular bag at the front of the shelter is the IPK's storage bag ~ it was utilised as a make shift kneeling pad.

My pack (item 2) had it first real life water proof check :D . Dry bags and stuff sacks are stored in the pack. The FAC, gloves and hat are on the standard clothing and safety 'free' items.

Saw (item 3), Clipper knife (item 4) on my sleeping bag (item 5). I had originally planned on taking my opinel saw but, in the end, opted for a full scale Silky 'just in case' ~ opi would have sufficed :eek: :) .

Food (item 6) ~ I had based my plans around cooking predominently on the fire-box* and the Norgie was there to make sure that things didn't freeze over night ;) . Stove (item 7) was there for fast hot drinks :D . IPK (item 8) ground sheet. The cooking pot (item 9) has the advantage of having a lid that can double up as a cup. Also just visible is my kip mat (item 10).

* The ground is pretty much all leaf mold and, as such, ground fires need to be avoided. As all fires need to be raised and contanined, the fire-box is considered a safety freebie.

My Not-So-Purple UCO (item 11) with spare tea lights in the metal case below it. Spatula (item 12) served in place of a spoon. Dry food is stored in a lock and lock food storage box or leather clad zip lock bags.

Poncho (safety freebie) was definitely useful/needed for a couple of hours on Friday :rofl: .

The weekend's water was carried in. Chair (item 13) is a great asset at a Meet :approve: and some level of insulation is a great boon at this time of year :lmao: .

Fire-irons (item 14) were used to support the cooking pot. The irons break down into two shorter lengths. Not pictured is my lighter (item 15).

The fire-box is a French army surplus first aid box ~ out of pic is the lid. Box has been modified to make the lid removable.

At some point I'll transfer the pics over to the 15 items thread ~ but sticking them here might show Meet newbies that they don't need 'all the kit' to come to a Meet :D .

Thank for looking.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
glad someone has actually done the fifteen or less challenge

Cheers Sam, it's early days for the challenge ;) . The changeable weather has been _interesting_ and it wasn't until Friday morning that I finally and absolutely decided to do the '15 Items' challenge. I've got a couple of self set personal challenges to do and had the weather been forecast to be warmer I'd have been doing a fair weather challenge instead :eek: ~ I'd have then done the 15 items sometime in February or March :D .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE