Rough Close Meet ~ January 2012

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm new to BCUK and am interested in attending a meet. Could somebody give me info of location and what the format is? Is it a wildcamping?

Pete's pretty much summed it up in a nutshell :notworthy ~ but I'll add that wood fires absolutely must be raised and contained. The site is pretty much built on leaf mulch of one type or another and it's far easier to have a ongoing blanket 'raised and contained' than it is to have a here's okay for ground fires unless it hasn't rained for 'x' days, in which case you need to go over to ... (etc).

If you haven't already, have a read of post #01 and have a look through previous Meets pics threads will give a potted summary of the type of thing to reasonably expect to see going on ;)

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.
decorum
udamiano
Mesquite
bushcraftsurvival
TinkyPete (TBC due to work)
lucklee and maybe son depending on whether
Wayland
Bodge and Adam
Teepee
Outdoory (possibly +1)
hedgerow pete, plus posible one, both TBC
leaf man and possible +1 newbie
Snowfire
Spikey DaPikey (TBC)

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.
decorum
udamiano
Mesquite
bushcraftsurvival
lucklee and maybe son depending on weather
Wayland
Bodge and Adam
Teepee
Outdoory (possibly +1)
Snowfire
Spikey DaPikey (TBC)
PeterH

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

Meet List:

decorum

udamiano
Mesquite
bushcraftsurvival
Wayland
Bodge and Adam
Teepee
Outdoory (possibly +1)
Snowfire
Spikey DaPikey (TBC)
PeterH

Spikey, are you bringing ear plugs this time?

Note to all, due to the recent freezing temperatures it would be considered wise to have brought at least some potable water with you :eek: :D . The taps at the main toilet block will be fine for getting water but, as it's across the site from the pitch, if you've brought some with you it saves a job when setting up ;) .

Meet List:

decorum
udamiano
Mesquite
bushcraftsurvival
Wayland
Teepee
Outdoory (possibly +1)
Snowfire
Spikey DaPikey (TBC)
PeterH

the best I can manage for this meet will be a day visit. My Gsl has organised a group camp which I was planning to skip, but am now thinking of attending for some of the weekend. See you all if i get there.

Sent from my battledroid.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... the best I can manage for this meet will be a day visit. My Gsl has organised a group camp which I was planning to skip, but am now thinking of attending for some of the weekend. See you all if i get there...

That old 'It's only two hours a week' chestnut :lmao: . Thanks for letting us know and if we don't catch you at this one, the March Meet is already booked and it's an extended one ;) .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As no one has mentioned it yet (that I've noticed :eek: ) ~ Sales / Trades / Swaps ...

Sales / Trades / Swaps at the Meet are fine. The usual forum rules apply and are extended to cover the site and also my self unless I have a vested interest in the transaction.

We'll arrange a time and place at some point between Friday eve and Saturday morn.

Sales / Trades / Swaps List:

decorum: misc bits and bobs ~ thermawrap (for pot cosy type DIY projects ~ link), wood burning stove (like this)

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A quick heads up and bump of the thread.

We don't normally invoke the curse of Twang Twang by talking about the weather for a Meet but, as we have so many first timers down to come allong to this one ...

I would advise keeping an eye on weather forecasts. It's likely to be cold this weekend ~ but whether it'll be cold and dry / wet / snowy / sleety/ windy / sunny seems to be changing by the hour.

There is an old adage: Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst ;) .

I might try to get down saturday night, as I really need to escape, even for a little while

It's been a while, it'd be good to catch up if you can get down :D .

Last edited:

udamiano

On a new journey
A quick heads up and bump of the thread.

We don't normally invoke the curse of Twang Twang by talking about the weather for a Meet but, as we have so many first timers down to come allong to this one ...

I would advise keeping an eye on weather forecasts. It's likely to be cold this weekend ~ but whether it'll be cold and dry / wet / snowy / sleety/ windy / sunny seems to be changing by the hour.

There is an old adage: Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst ;).

Hope its going to be nice, It going to be novel not to wake up covered in frost LOL which seems to be the norm at the moment.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
................... As far as what weather we'll get? It's all a bit Russian Roulette as to what we get at the moment isn't it :lmao: .

Sorry I can't make it this time but I have to be in the warm and dry 'tasting' whiskey - well ... somebody's got to do it

I'm sure you'll all have a great time - and I will be thinking of you all (at least while I am still sober:))

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Sorry I can't make it this time

You have poor organisational skills :rofl: ~ or you'd have done your taster weekend a week early have been joining us to enjoy the choice remnants :p :) .

but I have to be in the warm and dry 'tasting' whiskey - well ... somebody's got to do it

Oh yes! I do like a good whiskey (and a good whisky too) ~ but the poor ones are truely
sick0021.gif
sick0013.gif

I'm sure you'll all have a great time - and I will be thinking of you all (at least while I am still sober:))

When we're sitting relaxed in the woods, you will have our pity :D .

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sorry I can't make it this time but I have to be in the warm and dry 'tasting' whiskey - well ... somebody's got to do it

You don't have to be in the warm and dry to taste whisky Chris... by a campfire in the woods is a perfectly acceptable place to do said activity ;)

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
?Does it make a difference when I tell you there are 12 whisk(e)ys to choose from - plus a whiskey liqeur - one each from the 'David Wishart' classification method, plus some duplicates

No, absolutely not ~ it's always better if you add a fire (Unless, of course, you're Joan of Arc).

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
i wont be able to make this one lads...

Thanks for letting us know :)

Time for a tidy up of the list ...

Meet List:

decorum
udamiano
Mesquite
bushcraftsurvival
TinkyPete (TBC)
Wayland
Teepee
Outdoory (poss +1)
leaf man (possible +1)
Snowfire
Spikey DaPikey (TBC)
PeterH

Remember to bring in some potable water if you can. Doing so will probably save you time and effort ~ drinking water will be available at the main toilet block but, over the winter season, the stand pipe tap supply is turned off and drained to prevent frost damage.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Sorry Guys due to work I will not be able to attend this meet. I have to work on Saturday for a major inspection for all our kit at work. Because we are loosing a couple of months due to Operation Olympics so our schedule has been shortened. Hope you have a great time out in the woods I will be jealous of you all. I can not even look out onto any woods as I have no windows in my work :(

Meet List:

decorum
udamiano
Mesquite
bushcraftsurvival
Wayland
Teepee
Outdoory (poss +1)
leaf man (possible +1)
Snowfire
Spikey DaPikey (TBC)
PeterH

Remember to bring in some potable water if you can. Doing so will probably save you time and effort ~ drinking water will be available at the main toilet block but, over the winter season, the stand pipe tap supply is turned off and drained to prevent frost damage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE