Roman army equipment

Flecktarnbiker

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2013
Hampshire
Hello
Im studying the romans once again at school and the moment were doing the roman army. To put it lightly, i have a love affair with the roman army and for a bit of fun i thought id make some equipment they used. I cannot work with leather so i thought of making a satchel from strong brown fabric and adding items but my question is, did the roman army use clay cups/plates?Ive heard reports of it but never seen any evidence so id thought id ask here as it is sort of bushcrafty. Also how could i make acceptable looking pots and pans? If youve read this far thank you ! Any help is appreciated
Fleck
p.s;Im only 14 so cant be to hard to do and my only whittling equipment is a penknife

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Biker,

Sounds like a good project and one I was interested in at school many moons ago, I was so chuffed when I got to wear some Roman armour as part of my project. You might find this link some use LINK. Though if you want to get straight to the roman soldiers eating kit click HERE. This lot are good at reproduction Roman military pottery which you could copy LINK as is here LINK.

Hope that's enough to be going on with, a sideways way to get info is to look/contact LARP (Live Action Role Play) groups, these guys tend to be able to do stuff on the cheap and are well researched, here's a links to ones bit about Roman soldiers mess kit LINK.

If you need more info let me know.

Cheers,
GB

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Without studying Corso's links, I reckon wooden plate/bowl would have been more robust and lighter than ceramic when marching - but they would likely to have used ceramic crockery whilst in barracks.

The fabric satchel would be acceptable to my eyes and I doubt anyone here would debunk your efforts.

It might be worth a search around the site as there was (possibly still is) a member who did Roman Re-enactment and showed some of his kit at one Moot - may be some photos around, I'm not sure.

Good luck with your project

Ogri the trog

Though in retrospect I may be wrong!

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Some Asian shops, and even super markets, sell bottle gourds so you could easily make a water bottle as I believe these were used by the Roman army.

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/20-roman-re-enactment-a-reconstruction/314886-gourd-canteen.html

The Roman army certainly bought vast amounts of pottery but for campaign use I doubt they used it except for carrying wine, oil etc in bulk on wagons or pack animals. If there are any charity shops near you they often have wooden bowls for a pound or so . Avoid dark, tropical, hard woods and you won't be far wrong.

its not army issue as far as anyone knows but the Comacchio bag is a easy design to copy I've just made one in thin leather.

http://sutor.jimdo.com/bags/roman/comacchio-bag/

best of luck with it!

Tom

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'm sure I've seen a Roman Leigonary mess kit made of tin somewhere.
Either at Pompeii, Herculanum, or Rome, one of the museums I'm fairly sure had one on display.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks,
I finally finished the set of straps to carry my rolled Byrus Britanicus, since I didnt want to transfer onto the wool I've given it just a light coat of neets foot oil. the buckles I made from a thick brass hinge after studying what buckle shapes have been used longest. Ok they should have been cast not made by stock removal but that wasnt possible for me.

RomanRoll_zps284fefa1.jpg

I just need to rig some sort of water carrier, aquire a typical roman looking spoon and i rather fancy a authentic ring pommel (?) sheath knife.

What the hell Im going to do with it all is another question!

ATb

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
One thing, I wish I had made the two dog collars much longer so I could fit in a single blanket and palliasse wrapped in the shelter sheet but then again the weight of all that on a 3/4" strap would dig in horribly. Yeah I suppose I need to make something all around more sturdy for that lot.

atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE