roe deer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
Hi guys! I was wondering if any of you have seen a lot of roe deer around lately? I was out for walks in three small woods that are close to one another on consecutive days last week, the first time a buck and doe, the second a buck and doe, and the last a solitary buck. Is it a busy time of year for them?

The first pair I spotted were late on in the evening around 9.30pm in the first relatively small wood. The second pair were spotted at a smaller wood around 6.30pm, a few hundred yards from the first wood. The lone buck was spotted around 3.00pm at a much larger wood, that was perhaps a mile at most from the second. There are no ther distinct woodlands nearby.

Is it possible from this to say that perhaps the deer move through these woods during darkness? that they use the larger wood for cover during the day? the larger wood is the only one to have dense areas of pine, although they have recently brought in machinery to remove the trees, they have probably already removed the best part of 1000 square metres :(

thanks for shedding any light.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You'd be surprised at the places Roe deer get to. I have them in the woods at the back of my house which is small and surrounded by roads and fields, but if you tell any of the local dog walkers there are deer around, they'll think you're mad. I've had this conversation with loads of locals who've been using the woods for decades. It's amazing and a testament to the secretive nature of these deer in small pocketed areas.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Roe are really struggling (dying) around here due to liver fluke burdens, the wet weather has been ideal for transmission of fluke.

Don't be concerned about the felling of the forestry, the regeneration will be great forage for the deer. Probably better habitat than over mature trees.

Uthred

Jan 13, 2013
Somerset
Certainly doing Very well round here! Numbers Very Stable,being an ex Stalker (Deer! befor anyone....)We have A trio...In the Garden alot this time of year:)..and the Snow was great for recording 'Comeings and Goings
'It's a common misconception for'Townies' to think everything is on the Brink of exstinction in the Countryside.I'm sure alot of people on here know differently.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
We have a few muntjac around us but the roes are all in the NW of Leicestershire. They're very acclimatised to people up there and don't bother themselves to walk off slowly unless you gatecrash within 50m or so :)

We picked up a RTA muntjac a few years ago and had the finest roadkill barbeque ever :) I think the roes would go through anything under 3.5 tonnes though!

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I posted a thread a few months ago after stumbling across a roe deer in an area I have walked for years and never seen one before. I was within fifteen feet of it. Very secretive animals indeed.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
There's like 8 of them in a forest the size of a soccer field here. Loads and loads of tracks but only the really crazy like me(who knows the right places and times) ever see them.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
They're always about, I see them pretty much daily throughout the year.
Maybe you're noticing them more because there's less cover at this time of year.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I posted these back in the summer when I took them. I'd spent a few nights in the wood and was walking out with a fully loaded Bergan, I had stopped for a breather on one of the steep slopes and he suddenly appeared. The breeze was in my favour and I'd been still for a few minutes so it fooled him, plus I had the camera round my neck otherwise I would have missed him.
006-9.jpg
008-4.jpg

Second click and he was gone..:D

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I posted these back in the summer when I took them. I'd spent a few nights in the wood and was walking out with a fully loaded Bergan, I had stopped for a breather on one of the steep slopes and he suddenly appeared. The breeze was in my favour and I'd been still for a few minutes so it fooled him, plus I had the camera round my neck otherwise I would have missed him.
006-9.jpg
008-4.jpg

Second click and he was gone..:D

That's not a roe deer is it?:confused: Looks like a fallow deer to me.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
That was my first reaction when I saw him Niels, but the spotted red/brown coat is not uncommon amongst the younger Roe Deer round here. There is a pure white one which I hope to catch with the camera one day, and also some which are almost chocolate brown colour.
His size was about right too, smaller than he looks there in the photo.
If you look at this website you'll see a range of coat colours in Roe..complete with spots..:)
http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/roe-deer.html

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I'm fairly certain it's a quite juvenile Roe, antlers still in velvet. The only other thing I could mention is that I've never ever seen Fallow Deer at all in those woods or the surrounding area. Since Niels mentioned it I've cheated and looked on the web...loads of spotted Roe..:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE