Roe deer skins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Doing a decent job of them is hard work.
Even knowing how to do it, and prepping ahead, it's still hard work.
It's time consuming, and if you want something decent that won't rot, then it needs care.

It's also rather visceral, and not to everyone's comfort, iimmc ? Texture, smell, etc.,

On t'other hand, it can be a very good demonstration to work on, and you do end up with something useful at the end :) Very appropriate for the Crannog :)

I presume you mean preserved with the hair on ? I managed a red deer one like that once. It was a lovely pelt, but the next one I worked on the hair slipped off, and the mess was not fun. The hide tanned, but the sticky bloodied hair clung to everything.
I was glad to see the back of that one. It ended up the skin on a bodran.

Lots of Youtube videos about I'd expect.

Nicest skins I know though are tanned with mimosa bark, like those at SkyeSkyns.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Actually it’s reasonably straight forward… Not that I’ve done one solo, but a friend uses this method and I’ve helped him out with a few. Have a look.

If you want a more in depth idea, different options or even an faq then Paul Kirtley’s podcast episode 53 is worth a listen with Theresa Emmerich Camper.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE