Anyone using a BCUK Spyderco?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I bought one of these over 10 years ago because the handle was simply gorgeous. It hasn't seen a huge amount of use but I used it yesterday to gralloch a roe deer. Blade got quite badly chipped on the bones so I've been spending some time today fixing it

e6cxYNA.jpeg

Just wondered if anyone else was actually using one of these or whether they're all drawer queens now? I'd rather it break than languish unused, although I'll be taking a bit more care with it for the next one

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I wanted one, and would use it if I had it... maybe one day. Finished edge looks great
Not finished yet - I'd like it a bit smoother, although no point getting it too perfect. It was a lot of money for me at the time but reckon it may have increased in value, not that I'm planning on selling it. It came with a beautiful custom sheath too, made by BlackSheep of this parish

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
@Buckshot used is quite a bit, and probably for game prep.
The edge is quite thin and I have had mine pick up some damage when cutting particularly hard wood. It was something of a calculated move to have the edge this way. It cuts very well, and if it gets damaged one can steepen the bevel more readily than one can reduce a bevel that is too steep. I own that I don't use mine a lot since mine is a pre-production prototype and having had it to Moots and Canada it is largely retired now.

That looks like you got a really figured piece of maple.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Yup, I use one as my only user although it's not had a lot of use lately.

I had the exact same problem with the edge chipping like yours when doing prep work on a deer. Sorted it out and had reindeer antler scales fitted by Hillbill only to have it chip again when I was whittling some seasoned hawthorn I think.

I was fed up with that happening and asked Dave Budd to regrind it with a sabre grind with micro bevel as I'd seen him do it for another one. Not had any problem after that and I love how it feels and handles now .

Strangely enough Chris told me after he'd seen what I'd had done that he'd originally envisioned the knife with either a sabre or full flat grind but Spyderco wanted to go with scandi.

1675274624717.png

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's my 'big' knife. It's a very comfortable to use old friend :)
Utterly reliable, never ever had a blister or hot spot from using it either :approve:
I haven't chipped the blade edge and admit that mostly I just strop it and return it clean to the sheath.

M

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I’ve had a few pass through but having a Chris original is was fairly easy to pass them on. Would happily have one though.
We need a proper handle photo of yours - looks like it’s a good bit of wood!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
55BF3B12-D6EB-45C5-AFAA-576E2F167B7F.jpeg
I have used the lower right Scandi BushcraftUK, the right hand Proficient, and the one at bottom centre is my own in AEBL and black ash burl.

This is a better picture of the blonde maple that I carried and used for a while.
IMG_0637.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Brizzlebush

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Yes mine does get used a fair bit.
It's my go to fixed blade.
Custom scales i selected fitted by a good friend. I made the leather sheath.
Can't say I've ever had a problem with the blade chipping myself. if i need to break bone i use the back of the blade and smack the bone when under tension. you can break deer leg bones with just the knife that way without damage.
I have made other knives using the same handle shape as i think it's so comfortable.

Plus, because it was given to me by a friend it makes me smile every time i use it!

Reactions: Toddy

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Used twice very briefly. In the first use, I have whittled a green olive wood. Did not have any edge damage. In the second use, I have used it to power cut (i.e strong draw cut motion) small (less than an inch diameter branches) branches from the tree and I got a very small roll/chip which was not really visible to eye but could be felt when I run my nail on the edge. Two minutes on a ceramic and strop sorted it out. It is obvious the grind angle is designed to do fine carving on green and ideally soft wood. So it is kind of a unique purpose driven knife. It is very comfortable and I enjoy using it but I would think twice getting it out to woods as my main knife if I am not 100% sure that I will not be only doing carving whittling. If it is too much of a problem you could put a secondary grind on it, but then whats the point of having a scandi grind, you could as well convert it to a saber!

That saber ground looks great by the way!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE