Rod Licence - is it worth paying the extra?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Very much a newbie to this fishing lark. I've just bought a telescopic rod and a reel and, on a weekend camping in the Gower, got a couple of mackerel fist time out. Hooked! (excuse the pun!)

What I'd like to know is is it worth getting the licence that allows you to catch salmon and sea trout? Do you need this if you fish in tidal estuary waters where these fish run? Any advice? I'm never going to be an accomplished, dedicated angler but I want to catch stuff for the pot whenever I can.

All advice appreciated.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
You don't need any kind of licence for sea dangling unless you are trying to catch migratory fish. If you are fishing a tidal stretch for mullet for example you don't need a licence.
If you are fishing rivers or inland waters you need a rod licence in England & Wales, only if you are targeting migratory fish do you need the more expensive licence.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You don't need any kind of licence for sea dangling unless you are trying to catch migratory fish. If you are fishing a tidal stretch for mullet for example you don't need a licence.
If you are fishing rivers or inland waters you need a rod licence in England & Wales, only if you are targeting migratory fish do you need the more expensive licence.

Correct on all points, but i would add regarding this statement

If you are fishing a tidal stretch for mullet for example you don't need a licence..

This very much depends on where the defining line is drawn as to the point where a tidal river becomes classified as fresh water, you really need to speak with a local EA office to determine this and it's also worth checkiong the bylaws for your area too, two of the rivers i fish are classed as fresh water, but still have a tidal flow many many miles up stream, the Arun for instance, is still tidal approx 20 miles (inc all the twists and turns in it course) from it's mouth at Littlehampton (only 10 miles as the crow flies though), the other point worth mentioning is almost all fresh water fishing in England is controlled by clubs or syndicates, very little of it is free fishing, so a quick check either on the web or by popping into a tackle shop will soon see on the right path as to who controls the fishing and if you can buy a day ticket or have to join a club to fish the water, fishing without a membership is viewed as poaching as the clubs pay a lot of money for the fishing rights and it's controlled and protected by them quite strictly, certainly my club, will not hesitate to prosecute those caught poaching on our waters.

Just my 2p's worth.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Cheers; folks. I can't imagine myself game fishing on expensive rivers either legally or illegally. I just want the odd fish for the pot and wondered whether the salmon and sea trout licence was worth it. probably not, in my case. Most of my fishing is likely to be coastal.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Whats the differance between catching a mackerel and a salmon or sea trout `if` caught in the sea ??? would it be illegal to land the salmon or trout with out a licence ???? ain,t mackerel migratory as well -???

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
salmon and sea trout fall under freshwater hence the need for a license even if you do land them in saltwater they are a neddy no no you are expected to release them if caught by accident. Also you need the migratory license which is relatively big bucks compared with the normal coarse license. Stick to your macky bass etc whereby you can land them for free under the magna carta :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nope. A lot of evidence suggests that large red signals actually increases their numbers as they predate their own species. Traps used by the unwary also transfer disease from one spot to another. These are the reasons licences are required

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Nope. A lot of evidence suggests that large red signals actually increases their numbers as they predate their own species. Traps used by the unwary also transfer disease from one spot to another. These are the reasons licences are required

Ditto that. Most of the devastation caused is by people that don't understand what they are doing and just lay cray traps regardless.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

ah ok, so is the sea the the only place we can fish (a few species of fish) without a licence then?

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Something worth remembering is... the only fish you'll need to worry about, are those you can catch. Salmon and Sea Trout are a bit challenging anyway so don't get too vexed!
If you're close to the sea, you lucky, lucky b***ers, if not, a rod licence is pretty cheap anyway - but don't forget that Coarsefish are not always 'for the pot' - e.g big carp, etc....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE