robin hood style clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
If you want to look like a live role player then carry on as you are, if you want to look like a re-enactor then join a re-enactment society but if you want something that is practical in modern woodlands and won't end up with you getting beaten up by Neds then take a look at what others on this website are wearing.

Well put that man ,I think wandering around dressed like this will draw attention and maybe trouble to yourself.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Why not wear what you want and enjoy yourself
Sometimes its good to say screw convention
Life needs its characters
You'll be a long time dead so its best to enjoy it while you're here

It's certainly not my cup of tea and could attract unwanted attention but life is too short to worry about what others think mate. If you get someone willing to do harm for no reason they'll do it regardless of how you're dressed. If you want to sport this look in the woods I say go for it! I'm with Jock on this one.

nowhereman

Mar 9, 2011
In The Forest
robin-hood.JPG

:lmao:

dude thats a lot of green ;-)

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
i did 10 days filming on robin hood, the clothing was not very good if you wanted it for your intended purpose. if you want something that looks ok but is usable go down the historical route

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
yeah but larp = live action role play.

Thank you so much for defining what that actually stood for.

I've heard it used in converation and always thought it was a derogatory term.

As in - you see the guy dressed like Baldrick - he's a larper!

It kinda makes sense now.

Cheers.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You may be able to get the clothing matched but no one could match his accent. Ruined the film for me, why oh why could they not just pick a british actor. I like Russel crow in many a film but sheevus his accent was bad and when quized by a beeb critic hew spat his dummy out and walked out of the interview, very funny indeed...

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
sorry its taken so long to reply but i ave been on nights and avent felt up to serfing the web

now mary you are spot on with what i want to do and would love to know more cos i cetainly dont want to were the green tights

and shewie no thanks but if u go a head photo evidance is a must

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I do Viking re-enactment and there are a lot of society sites that have patterns for different bits of kit. You'll be surprised how comfortable it is (if it's made properly, I have Toddy to thank for mine). Pouches are the main thing because you'll be amazed how much you miss having pockets. Go for it I say, If it's you and a bunch of mates it could be a really good laugh and a bit of an eye opener as to how good some of the kit is for the job. people pay a fortune for high-tech fleeces etc but a woolen Kirtle and cloak are amazingly versatile and comfortable.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I have to say, if your funds are low and your going to make all this yourself I think your going to look like a right plonker. Just dress up like tarzan, easier, cheaper and less to go wrong.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have to say, if your funds are low and your going to make all this yourself I think your going to look like a right plonker. Just dress up like tarzan, easier, cheaper and less to go wrong.

Well - everyone is entitled to an opinion I guess...
I have made a fair bit of kit that has its basic design based on Viking/Anglosaxon/middle-ages clothing.
It is cheap and easy to make, works well and looks quite acceptable ...especially in West Wales (where old hippies go to die)...
True - a simple loincloth is even easier and cheaper but you need the body to carry off that particular look!
I think the bigger plonker is the one who has an idea but does not carry it through, or has no idea what they are talking about and rubbishes others ideas!
Ye gods - I am actually championing Drews argument...must go lie down in the shade....

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
I have made a fair bit of kit that has its basic design based on Viking/Anglosaxon/middle-ages clothing.
It is cheap and easy to make, works well and looks quite acceptable ...especially in West Wales (where old hippies go to die)...
True - a simple loincloth is even easier and cheaper but you need the body to carry off that particular look!
I think the bigger plonker is the one who has an idea but does not carry it through, or has no idea what they are talking about and rubbishes others ideas!
Ye gods - I am actually championing Drews argument...must go lie down in the shade....

have to agree, no time for that attitude

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
First of all do not for one moment consider Hollywood as an accurate source, when we were making the armour for Gladiator and suggested some minor changes to make it look more accurate, Ridley Scott pointedly told us he was making a film not a history lesson. That is typical of the attitude of most film makers.

Secondly, even copying the outfit is not going to make you look like Russell Crowe, you would have to add the efforts of a professional make up department, special effects department, properties department, award winning camera men and a bloody good director to your crew. Even then you're not going to look like Russell Crowe because you are not Russell Crowe.

If you want to look like a live role player then carry on as you are, if you want to look like a re-enactor then join a re-enactment society but if you want something that is practical in modern woodlands and won't end up with you getting beaten up by Neds then take a look at what others on this website are wearing.

Good advice... I'd just wear yer bushy gear mate... It's functional and hard wearing

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I suppose a compromise would to be - travel to and from the "wilderness" in standard outergear and change once you are in the woods and away from neds.....your streey clothing then acts as spare warm dry kit to cope with any accidents/soakings.
I used to know a couple of Scots who prefered hiking in kilts but (outside of Scotland) only wore them once in the hills, travelling in trousers.
Last time anyone took the mickey out of what I was wearing was back in the '70s - needlecord paisly flaired trousers, skinny rib pullover and a cowboyhat as I recall...the jeered "hippy" at me - but my fists educated them into understanding my views of "universal love and peace" at the time....
Once I got into motor bikes my look changed and no one seemed to find Denim and leather and grease amusing....
Ah the good old days eh?

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West

I guess your implying I have no idea what I’m talking about and I’m rubbishing Drews idea. We must of met once somewhere for you to assume that? I once wrapped my coat around my neck and pretended I’m superman, does that count?

I just can’t see drew with a sewing machine in his back room (no offence drew). So my advice to him is not to attempt it himself or Biff is going to give him a wedgie every time he see’s him, unless you got a hoverboard and a truck full of manure to hand. Best to get someone who has done this a few times, like yourself John, and show him how it’s done, to start him off. The boy has a dream, why not you and Chris help him out since your into that sort of thing ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I guess your implying I have no idea what I’m talking about and I’m rubbishing Drews idea. We must of met once somewhere for you to assume that? I once wrapped my coat around my neck and pretended I’m superman, does that count?

I just can’t see drew with a sewing machine in his back room (no offence drew). So my advice to him is not to attempt it himself or Biff is going to give him a wedgie every time he see’s him, unless you got a hoverboard and a truck full of manure to hand. Best to get someone who has done this a few times, like yourself John, and show him how it’s done, to start him off. The boy has a dream, why not you and Chris help him out since your into that sort of thing ?

In this case you are twice mistaken.
Firstly, real Robin Hood type clothing is very simple, practical and almost perfect for bushcraft.....just lay off the liripipe and it's fine :D The unbeatable Swanni and it's clones are classic kirtle pattern garments.

Secondly, Drew finished his cloak himself, all thirty feet of hem of it too :D, so he 'can' sew :)

I always feel sorry for thon Peter Pan fellow, everyone extracts the urine, but he's dressed for panto, so it fitted fine with his role......wouldn't do for British woodlands though :)

cheers,
Toddy

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley

atached
sorry i just cant see the point you are trying to make. why cant you see drew wit a sewing machine? i dont know him but am more than willing to help out if i can (i am just as capable with sewing as i am at the forge. i see no stigma attached there) i wonder if you would have the same opinion if it had been sami clothing.
as for helping out i thought that was what we were trying to do?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE