robin hood style clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
I guess your implying I have no idea what I’m talking about and I’m rubbishing Drews idea. We must of met once somewhere for you to assume that? I once wrapped my coat around my neck and pretended I’m superman, does that count?

I just can’t see drew with a sewing machine in his back room (no offence drew). So my advice to him is not to attempt it himself or Biff is going to give him a wedgie every time he see’s him, unless you got a hoverboard and a truck full of manure to hand. Best to get someone who has done this a few times, like yourself John, and show him how it’s done, to start him off. The boy has a dream, why not you and Chris help him out since your into that sort of thing ?

ski

actually i do have a sewing machine and yes i will be using it and i can sew all i really want is the patterns and being shown how to read said patterns because this is where i am a dum shmuck and dont have a clue also wouldn know where to get material from i.e real leather and or wool and linen
so would apprecieate (sp) the help with this. Now i know this might suprise you cos i dont come across as the sort to do this sort of stuff but yer i can when i want to so all i will say is dont judge a book buy its cover matey cos you can be sadly mistaken.

and thank you mister fenna, toddy and co for sticking up for me in my absence

signed drew

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tunics and kirtles at the bsic level is dead simple. I would say that the main points to keep in mind the first time is

1. Enought space in the shoulders/armpits, putting the extra piece in the armpits makes a lot of difference
2. Spend some time getting the neckline comfortable or it will not fit well. Again, not rocket science, just make sure you work on
it.
3. Make it loose and "comfy" and it will work well.

Threws are a bit trickier, I use the Thorsberg style (pretty much like in this pattern: http://handelsgillet.se/shop/index.php/cPath/28_34) and have had good success with them. Again, a loose fit is nice.

For bushcraft wear I like the "kimono" style jackets from viking age finds; I have one made from and old army blanket, and it is very comfortable and rugged (mine is close to http://handelsgillet.se/shop/produc...cts_id/2126?osCsid=g70d02linplaqr8ka58t0ad5a4). Add a good hood, some shoes and you are pretty much done.

As to urine-stealing people; these days LARPs are getting so common (heck, there is even a LARP childrens program on Swedish TV; kids get to dress up and take part in an adventure arc) and so well known that apart from the total idiots people will just assume that is what you are doing. Or tell them that you are testing medieval clothes for bush wear, planning on writing an article about it, yadda, yadda until their eyes glace over and they leave you in peace.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I guess your implying I have no idea what I’m talking about and I’m rubbishing Drews idea. We must of met once somewhere for you to assume that? I once wrapped my coat around my neck and pretended I’m superman, does that count?

I just can’t see drew with a sewing machine in his back room (no offence drew). So my advice to him is not to attempt it himself or Biff is going to give him a wedgie every time he see’s him, unless you got a hoverboard and a truck full of manure to hand. Best to get someone who has done this a few times, like yourself John, and show him how it’s done, to start him off. The boy has a dream, why not you and Chris help him out since your into that sort of thing ?

If you want to take a general observation as a personal one - well that is fine by me!
I started my sewing career by making gear I wanted but could not afford/find on a hand turned Singer bought from a charity shop - no instruction from anyone other than the writer of the patterns I followed/adapted.
It realy is not hard!
I am happy to give advice to anyone wanting to make their own gear - and I think Drew knows that!

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Last time anyone took the mickey out of what I was wearing was back in the '70s - needlecord paisly flaired trousers, skinny rib pullover and a cowboyhat as I recall...the jeered "hippy" at me - but my fists educated them into understanding my views of "universal love and peace" at the time....

cough cough John lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE