Rob Bayley's knives - any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I was wondering whether there is anyone out there in the aether who knows anything about these knives. I know he has an association with Bear Grylls, which some might see as unfortunate, but does anyone have any experience of the Raven series? Are they well made? Are they functional? Are they any good for bushcraft?

Many thanks in advance for any help, guidance or suggestions.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I think your talking about this fella

http://www.bayleyknife.com/index.htm

I've never heard of him before and never heard of anyone with any of his products. The prices seem middle of the road on his standard knives, but the 'Bear Grylls' signature series looks a little 'Optimistic' shall we say.:) All i will say is that, acording to the spec's, all his knives are 4mm thick; thats too thick for me, but thats my personal taste. I would have prefered natural material handles, but again, he's promoting these as users and, as much as users can have wooden scales, i think the target audience are predominantly the G10 crowd. Not my sort of thing, but i can see their place in the great scheme of things.

Actually, the short answer to you question is NO, sorry.:rolleyes:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Do a search on BB, pretty sure a few people own and have commented on his knives.

mikesknives

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
cornwall
It's as good if not better than most stuff on the market, I've had a few and the materials are topnotch and the fit and finish superb. Same as anything though personal preferences will come to bear but they are a well made knife and you wouldn't be dissapointed when one turned up on your doorstep, wether you liked it in use is something only you can find out.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I don't know much about the knives - I've read they are superb.

The RWL34 steel - I have a knife in that. It is for me, by far and the best blade steel I have encountered. Nothing else has ever come near it that I have used.

That alone would get it my vote.

Taiga

Oct 24, 2006
hertfordshire
I have two of his knives the Raven and Wolf, build quality is excelent so is RWL34 steel
the price is reasonable for what you get.

The Raven is not a out and out Bushcraft knife as the grind is bit to thick for cutting wood compared with a skandi grind ,it is more a general purpose blade.

Hope this has been of help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE