Rob Bayley and Son out in Woods

kjbarrass

Mar 1, 2009
UK
I recently took delivery of a Rob Bayley S4, with interrupted edge and horizontal Sheath. I bought this one woth the intention to use it so got straight out into the woods as my 3 year old son has been asking me for ages to make him a little den so we built one using dead wood and braken. He totally loved the whole thing, I made some sparks on a fake fire "didnt really light it" just so I could try out the Bayley fire steel and get a nice photo.

As for the knife its great really comfy in the hand, ideal size blade and nice and sharp. The sheath is one of the best yet. Fit and finish on the knife is as good as Ive ever seen and Rob was a great guy to deal with and will always re-sharpen the knife for cost of return postage. Ive also heard he can refurb the knife for a very reasonable amount so I dont feel bad about using the knife.

Me and my son are good fans of Bear Grylls, I vet the eppisode and if im happy it wont baddly influence my son we watch one together, this is how I heard of the S4 knife. Ive seen lots of critisism from people who have never used or owned an S4 just because of the connection with Bear Grylls but this is a real nice knife and I would encourage anyone to try one out if you get chance.

Ive since been told that brackon can be poisonous is it ok to handle for things like making shelters. Any advice always appreciated.
Anyway enough of me wittering on below are some pics, thanks for looking PS the site was left clean and clear like we had never been there.

The knife and Sheath:

S4.jpg

Sorry I dont have decent pics of the knife in use, but when im next out will get better pics.

Oliver looking for big brackon :)

DSC_0667.jpg

Building frame with his Dad

DSC_0670.jpg

Oliver in his shelter

DSC_0686.jpg

DSC_0680.jpg

Me trying the fire steel

DSC_0676.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Looks like the little fella had an amazing time. Don't worry about the bracken, just don't eat a load of it. Bayley knives are some of the best British high end custom knives made. Pity that the BG association was so negative until recently.

Last edited:

kjbarrass

Mar 1, 2009
UK
Looks like the little fella had an amazing time. Don't worry about the bracken, just don't eat a load of it. Bayley knives are some of the best British high end custom knives made. Pity that the BG association was so negative until recently.

Thanks for info on bracken, was worried it was bad to touch. Im reading as much as I can but theres so much to take in :(
Your right on the quality of these knives, Ive owned many UK and US hand made/customs and so far the Bayley is my favourite. I no longer collect knives but feel confident ive settled with a great knife to use. I hope to own another S4 for backup and eventualy to give to my son when hes old enough to appreciate it.

Kev

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Everyday should be like that. I bet your son had a fantastic time. Nice knife too. Cheers.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
That's a great looking knife, and a fun-looking day with your lad.

As far as I know the only thing to watch out for with bracken is that it can harbour ticks, so it's worth a quick check yourself to make sure you aren't taking any home with you. That said I used to play loads in the stuff when I was a boy and never had a problem.

Enjoy your knife!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cant wait to get my little boy out there when he is old enough (only 9 months lol)
I will not doubt be bringing him back to his mum ticks, bumps, cuts, scrapes n all in the name of adventure!
great pics thanks for the post, also to afirm there is nawt wrong with bracken, pretty sure they said heather caused cancer last year:rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
What a great start for your lad!
Bracken traditionally was used under the top layer of thatch (at least in Herefordshire) and animal bedding ..but spores have been said to be carcinogenic....but then eating, drinking and even breathing will poison you if you belive every article you read!
I have to say though that the knife is the opposite of everything I look for in knife style - but if everyone liked the same thing it would be a right boring world!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE