roadkill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
:lmao:
Woods Wanderer said:
when it comes to preping iv been eating roadkill since i was tiny............iv eaten things health and safety people would have a fit at somtimes with no or very little prep atall..........iv had a few instances were the people i was with shared my food or drink and 10 mins later been sick
Lock up yer daughters! :D bwahahahahaha

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've no doubt that yoo can eat roadkill, the only worry I had was it became roadkill after it had got ill, or a truck parked on its' head after it had been given a dose of lethal injection!

The Selous Scouts used to boil and eat a dead baboon that had been strung up in a tree for a week pleasantly rotting away! So long as the meat isn't reheated after the first boiling, the meat is perfectly safe to eat.

Follow this link to the Selous Scouts website, scroll down past the profile and click on "Unconventional warfare lessons from the selous scouts", the second picture down shows some scouts taking a baboons pyjamas off!! The paragraph next to this explains how they went about feeding themselves in the bush, in this case eating a half rotten baboon!! :eek:

Pictures of the infamous baboon! Scroll down a few pictures!!

That doesn't mean I'm gonna go out and eat rancid baboon though, but I've eaten kebabs from a Chatham kebab houses on a friday night so if I can stomach that I can eat anything!! :D

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Nigel said:
Not sure my self how the drug acts once administered but it does seem a hell of a risky practice leaving animals on the side of the road full of poison. Who’s to say that these won’t find there way into the food chain. A lot of dodgy people around these days.

I agree Nigel, that doesn't sound very safe to just leave a poisoned body laying at the side of the road. :confused: Surely in this age of "Health and Safety" legislation, where I can't even be trusted to wash my hands after visiting the loo without a sign to remind me, there must be some sort of requirement to heavily and very clearly tag and sign the body as having been injected? ? ? :confused:

Bam. :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes.

If I was a vet I wouldnt leave a carcass hanging around in case something ate it. (as will inevitably happen)

Why use poisons anyway? why not open a vein or cut the animals throat?

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Definition of "gralloch" please. Looked in every dictionary in the house and haven't found it yet.

There is one thing I read on this thread that I don't agree with. Just because the gut gets popped on a deer doesn't mean the meat is bad. You can still salvage the haunches, back straps, and shoulders - and neck meat if you want it. All you do, is pull off the hide - just don't got into the abdominal cavity. Done it many times.

Poachers method of pulling hide (deer has to be fresh killed): Cut the hide down around the chest cavity so you have the hide removed from the flesh around the chest. Put a potato sized rock down in this area. Tie a rope around rock inside fur. Cut the fur all the way around the neck. Chain head to a tree. Cut off all four lower legs. Attach rope to your car and go. Hide comes right off.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Biddlesby said:
Interesting method there!

As for gralloch, all i found was:

Well, that's about what I figured. I get the feeling this is looked at a lot more techinically in GB. Even here, it is not something everyone knows how to do anymore - as in days past.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
pierre girard said:
Well, that's about what I figured. I get the feeling this is looked at a lot more techinically in GB.
Most of it is not through choice Pierre believe me - I guess it is one of the 'benefits' of belonging to the european union and their do as I say not as I do approach :rolleyes: :dunno:

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
the way i look at it is as long as there arnt any guts left in the animal wen im finished its ok i then just find the easyest way of doing it and if your not squemish its even easyer but i over simplify most things.I dont really understand all the 'right ways' of doing things the neanderthols didnt know the 'right way' to prep meat but they didnt starve, and with old meat cut of the mold till you reach pink then boil it to death meat is meat isnt it? if im preping for anyone else though its a different story i like to show skill and not poisen anyone raised on demestos lol im sounding very opinionated so im going to finish by saying this is all just my opinion and its what works for me.
oh just one thing i found a way to make kids used to gore my cousins wouldnt go near a rabbit i shot till i skined the whole animal and put my hand in the 'face' where the skull would have been and did a puppet show with my thumb where the jaw would been to move the mouth,its best to case skin it if you want to try it

BOD

Nigel said:
Bod,

Stupid question but how do they prepare game? Are you talking about strict hygiene methods?

Nigel

Yes what I meant was that the slaughter and butchering would send a food hygiene inspector into palpitations or cardiac arrest.

There is no apparent consistency. Trapped mammals like small pig are sometimes brought back alive. larger ones despatched on site. Monkeys usually come in dead as they have been taken by blowpipe and poison dart. In Sarawak game has often been shot with a gun

If live at longhouse for a celebration it goes something like this. Neck is cut abdomen opened and contents taken out. Animal is on the ground/ platform or grass. Joints are hacked off, meat removed and diced often just chopped with bones and bits still in it. Some parts go onto the fire, others for cooking by the women in the back. Just like an Aussie BBQ, the blokes do the BBQ and women the pot cooking! It is bewilderingly fast. It can be slaughtered, butchered put on the fire and the first bits offered to you in 5 minutes (or what seems like 5 min)

There is not much skilled butchering. I'm always dismayed that I never get a tenderloin or a steak just under or over BBQed chunks of meat (or liver etc. :aargh4: )

I was amazed at first and worried about hygiene but after many feasts and meals later I never ended up with even an upset tummy. I have had far worse encounters with restaurant prepared food. So I am sceptical about hygiene over regulation of non-commercial food preparation and cooking.

As Spamel pointed out even very gamey stuff can be eaten. Recently at the end of a walk we came across a bunch of Iban enjoying a very gamey BBQed pig. Terrible smell. It had died in the trap and was a few days old. We declined to partake.

I just finished reading an account of a 1950's expedition to Borneo by an Oxford Univ. expedition that stayed for 6 months. They lived off the land killed game put what they could not eat or carry onto the roofs of their temporary shelters and ate it a week later on the way back. It was crawling with maggots when they returned :eek:

Personally, I would much prefer that a Western butcher or someone like Pierre trained the tribes to prepare the cuts the way i like it :)

Mind you the food prepared by the women is often very nice

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Bod,

Guess it might have been along the lines of hygiene. I used to collect road kill, mainly pheasants. Just by looking at the condition of the animal you could get a good idea of how long it had been lying around. Mind you, you should see the state of some of the game my lad had prepared whilst practising butchering, it looked like a massacre had taken place, and you would get twigs, soil, fur and the contents of its stomach and bowel onto the meat, but once it was cleaned up and cooked it tasted ok. :)

Nigel

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Just a couple of thoughts on deer prep:

I always like to hang deer before dressing (gralloching?). It is just easier as all the guts fall out - rather than having to be scooped out. At work, I don't have this option, as I have little time to devote to it. I do have the option of using rubber gloves at work, but have to be careful not to get blood on my uniform. I can dress a deer in about five minutes, it just isn't that hard to do.

If the weather is cold, like this time of year, I just haul the deer home and hang it. A deer can safely be hung over night with the guts still in the deer without any meat contamination. If it is a small deer, I will not even gut it, as there is little meat of consequence beside the shoulders, haunches, and back straps. The neck meat is so full of sinew and tallow, it is hardley worth the effort unless you are going to make stew. With a larger deer, I take the flank meat and neck meat as well.

It is best to let the deer partially freeze before butchering. If you do, you can remove the back straps with your hand, no knife needed. This state of partial freeze also makes for much easier butchering.

Butchering is not rocket science. Just bone out all the meat, remove all tallow and sinew, and make all your cuts of meat across the grain. The bone, tallow and sinew will give your meat a very wild taste. Never take your deer to a butcher who is used to doing only cows and pigs. On a large deer, the best cut is the tenderloin. On smaller deer, the tenderloin is very small. The next best cut of meat is the back strap (chops in a cow). Roasts can be had from the back straps and haunches. Shoulders or haunches can be roasted whole, but there is an art to it.

If you hang a deer too long in warm weather, the meat will start to putrify starting at the joints. Just cut away the bad meat - it is quite noticeable - the rest will be fine. When your meat starts to get a greasy feel - even if it's been in the fridge (not freezer) too long - it is starting to go bad. Time to cook it up, or throw it out.

On the other hand, my grandfather used to say you could never get sick eating raw meat - no matter how far gone it was. He said it was cooked meat you had to watch out for. I'm sure he would have known, but I've never cared to find out.

One of our neighbors, when I was growing up, would hang his (dressed) deer until the hides turned green. I've no idea what the object was, but he liked them that way. so saying, I'd better get out and skin my last deer - which has been hanging since November 12.

PG

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Where we are most people carry a road kill skinning knife, as long
as you report the roadkill a pay the license all is fine. I usualy like, Pierre, hang my deer, dressed, for a week to 10+ days depending on the weather, then butcher. We hang the deer for field dressing so it will slide out neat and clean. Like Pierre said with a little practise it goes fast.
I do however prefer to hunt mine :D

BOD

Thanks for that description Pierre/Carcajou. All I can manage are chickens.

A good thing all these colonials are not in the UK upsetting the hygiene authorities.

Mind you after a rethink I am persuaded that it would not be a good idea to eat barbituate injected deer.

I am curious about these vets going around euthanasing deer etc. How often is this happening? And don't they realise that they are endangering other wildlife not to mention some BCUK members

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi BOD

I have never seen a dear 'put down' by a vet, locally the police have a list of deerstalkers who will go out and kill injured animals and at no extra cost dispose of the carcass. However due to the increased number of farmed deer there is a drug/ meat issue but only very slight and the farmed deer locally are all reds so an escapee would be very obvious in our area.

As for contamination of meat from burst internal organs after impact with a vehicle the official line is that the carcass is not fit for human consumption and should be destroyed. However like Pierre said discard the damaged bits and take the rest it's only common sense and a sense of smell helps.

A Scottish neighbour describes road kill as game soup.

Best regards, Pothunter.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Carcajou Garou said:
Where we are most people carry a road kill skinning knife, as long
as you report the roadkill a pay the license all is fine. I usualy like, Pierre, hang my deer, dressed, for a week to 10+ days depending on the weather, then butcher. We hang the deer for field dressing so it will slide out neat and clean. Like Pierre said with a little practise it goes fast.
I do however prefer to hunt mine :D

I agree. I'd much rather hunt them - not for the meat, just for the hunt.

Truth is, I genearlly get better meat out of road kill than I do from what I hunt. This time of year, at work, I put down an average of two car injured deer a week. I get to pick and choose what I take. As most of those I deal with are "town deer," fed on corn, garden truck, and birdseed, they taste better than what I hunt. I usually take those with broken lower legs. None of the meat is affected in any way, and they haven't been chased, like some deer during season. Getting chased seems to affect the meat.

Just skun out our last deer from deer season. What a bunch of fat deer this year! Supposed to be a low snow winter too, so it should be a good season next year too.

Besides getting the last of the deer skun and quartered, just traded a pair of car top carriers for a real nice shooting sportorized Mauser in 30-06, got a seat for the back of my canoe van, ate out with Wing, fixed the broken headlight from the kid's car (they hit a deer) and made a canvas tool bag for my brother. Been a good day.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE