RM's yellow fishing box / your fishing kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
OK - since no one else asks about it, I will ;) ;)

In the Swedish episode (12/05/2005) of his new series RM uses a small plastic yellow box thingie to keep his fishing hooks and line in. Does anyone knows what kind of box it was?

I had a look at those Pelican cases ... :confused: but I'm not sure if it's the same.

What do you carry in your fishing kit (amount and sizes of hooks, olive sinkers or split shot, swivels, 1 type of line or more, what kind of breaking index, etc. etc.) & where do you keep it in (case, altoids tin, ziplock bag, film cannister, tupperware box :D , etc.)???

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Easy - that very new looking, yellow box is a lot like the very old,battered and well used Coglans First Aid Kit box that has been in my kit for many years. Now as life copies art, everyone will dash out and buy one of these, but occaisionally art copies life - Ray has logged onto this forum (come you know he has ;) ), had a peak in the gallery and there stumbled on a picture of me. I know this because in the very same episode you mentioned, he is wearing an exact copy of my possibe pouch :eek: (claim to fame or what).
Neil

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
OK then, what about that little green box he keeps his sharpening kit in? Looks pretty useful and lightweight. Also, is that a waterstone he is using, chopped in half?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
spamel said:
OK then, what about that little green box he keeps his sharpening kit in? Looks pretty useful and lightweight. Also, is that a waterstone he is using, chopped in half?
Yep, it's a Japanese combination waterstone cut in half.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Thanks everyone, that is just what I wanted to know. Sorry about the hijack Ahjno, to get back to the original question, I carry a basic kit, a few hooks, some line and some stronger thin nylon cordage, about half the thickness of para cord. I gaught many fish in Oman stood in the sea up to my chest with a hook on 6 inches of line tied then to squaddie green string, which is like the stuff used by gardeners!! If I had used many hooks on a line pegged to the sea floor like Ray does in bushcraft 1, it would have been full of fish in no time!

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
spamel said:
Got one of those too :p , as I said - "art copies life, occasionally", I wonder what else of mine he is copying?? If this carries on I will have to bring in my legal team!
Neil

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Neil1 said:
Is there a solicitor in the house??????

:D I'm your man ... If you've got another 4 years ;)
Of course I know RM is lurking around ... or even is a member ... :rolleyes:

Hi Ray - make sure you tell something about yourself in the "Welcome and introductions forum" ;) :D (Now he thinks I'm a smart a*s) :D

Neil, that's really one mega claim of fame you made there ;) - he didn't even send you a freebee from the shop???
I think it's best to make a special thread with all the things you've made, and what kind of equipment you use (even mentioning the smallest box) - that gives you a bit of advantage for evidence ;) (These threads got a date on it you know ;) ). And by such a thread we all can benefit :D :cool: LOL

Spamel,
No worries mate for hijacking - IIRC your question was mentioned in another thread, but wasn't answered ... I was also curious about it by the way ;) - so thanks for asking about that little green box!!

Ooh and guys, I don't mean anything with all the winking smileys :D

Back to the thread:
- The yellow box question is answered by Neil, thanks mate!
- So, there's only question left: What do you carry in your fishing kit?

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Neil1 said:
jayuk said:
Little green plastic box:

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/stock.php?page=bigpic&item=20044

Its actually an ex US army nbc decontamination kit box, I've been using mine for a number of years.
He's doing it to you too now :eek:
Is there a solicitor in the house??????
Neil
They say it is waterproof on the linked site but mine is not. It has a snap close lid but is not waterproof as such, unless they have a gasket of some sort. Does yours Neil?

Very handy bits of kit I brought for 50p ;)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
jayuk said:
The seal is more water resistant than waterproof. They are good sturdy containers though.
Yep, I agree. I had wondered about trying to fit some type of rubber gasket or use a liquid gasket to the lid to make it watertight though.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've just ordered the green boxes from Jasper at strikeforce, and had a bit of a chin wag about the chubby one using them. Hopefully they will get here before the end of next week so that I can pack my kit into them for Canada. I will keep you posted as to how I get on. Thanks to Jasper for making it an easy transaction.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE