RM`s Watch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
RRP on a new Sub is actually £2840, if i owned one (im thinking about it ) i would certainly use it canoeing, no point in having it and not using it.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
RB, I have had one since 1986, the strap is scratched, the bezel is a tad knocked around, some parts of the stainless clasp are corroded (near the pins, must be different metals) from where I shove my hands in all sorts of goo.

I have worn it: on active service; doing the garden; on a mig welding course; on a plumbing course; whilst building (and demolishing); whilst...........; and generally day to day. It has been covered in concrete and hosed off and it has been covered in white gloss and dropped in turps and scrubbed.

One thing though, all the abuse, knocks, scrapes on bricks and concrete........the glass is perfect.......the cheap piece of Swiss rubbish needs a service cos it loses a bit, but other than that perfection, I feel naked without my Sub. :))

PS/edit. If you are looking to get one, the USA is worth a serious look at the moment. What you save should cover your air fare.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Thanks Alex, Two things holding me back at the moment, im not a big fan of the cyclopse, i liek the look of the non date version but i need a date.
I was thinking about a SeaDweller but it's a bit bigger.
Second thing is i have an Omega SMP (Black dial) that i really love and i don't think i really need 2 similar divers.
I want a Rolex just to see what they are like and was looking at an Explorer I because it's a different style but again the lack of date is a problem.
The Sub is just such a classic.
It's great to hear of one being worm properly, don't suppose you have any pic's ?

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
RB, I'll break out the digicam and do you a couple of pix on the morrow.

I know some chaps who have the sea dweller, it looks a nice piece. I have eyed up some Omega's in the past but a couple of years ago I was given a TAG Targa Florio by the Wife for my birthday......an attempt to present me in a more civil manner, I think.

A friend used to deal in Rolex as a hobby and he always used to say that the best place to go was the auctions or private purchase.........but make sure the anchor, box and all the paperwork is included. Here's a tip for you, he told me that dealers have to buy a pack from Rolex and they only get one Sub or GMT in it if they are lucky, but they always get a solid gold whatever in the pack. Now apparently £10-12,000.00 watches are hard to shift so they will do upto 50% discount on one just to clear it out of the display.........preferably a provincial jeweller, you don't see many farmers wearing solid gold Rolex.

I swear by Rolex, I used to destroy Army G10 watches and I went thru 5 Seiko Chrono's by the time I was 25.....the Sub just keeps ticking, well, sweeping.

cost 1986: £700.00

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Get yourself a Vostok for bushcrafting. Robust and cheap, mechanical so you don't need to change the batteries, and cheap. Some of the styles are a bit naff but some are quite OK, and they are cheap aswell.

Did I mention they are cheap?!:D

So are these Vostok type watches very expensive then Spam? :)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Drifting a bit off topic but can anyone tell me how well the hands on the rolex glow in the dark? I am guessing they will not be in the same realm as traser watches with the tritium vials but with there being no backlight I would want them to be fairly good.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
RB, you can have the cyclops removed by Rolex. Had it done to mine immediately and it looks much better.

I had thought about it but could only find DIY threads and if you factor in sending it away to have it done your getting closer to SD money.
I would have to have it removed if i get one, can't stand them.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
RB, here you go. Put the knife in just to show I had'nt taken the pix from a catalogue ;-)) You can just about make out he scratches and if you look carefully the luminous blob on the bezel at 12.00 is cracked down the centre. I knew an old time Sgt Major who bought his Sub in Aden for £25.00, in 1986 he had it serviced for £250.00.......mind you it was minging.

Magi, the luminesence of the hands tends to fade after a while becoming almost useless after a couple of hours unles you have NV Goggles to hand - in which case it's like watching a sunrise. I tend to recharge the luminesence by putting a torch to the face of the watch and then blasting it with a burst of light for a few seconds - not looking at the light to save my own night vision. If you need to tell the time in the pitch black I would recomend something back lit or with tritium.

Apologies to Mods, we should start another thread really.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
That's exactly how a tool watch should look Alex, thanks for sharing.

What about Nite??

I've got a Nite MX30: -

watch_1.jpg

- great piece of kit - pictures, review and discount code here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23186

Phil.

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
Anyway, Back to my question.
What is the make and model of the black watch with a black nylon (G10) strap, that RM is wearing in some of the Bushcraft CD`s?
Steve :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm not a big fan of heavy watches. I bought a St. Moritz Momentum Atlas field watch awhile back and could not be happier. It has a titanium case and band. It's so light you don't know it's there most of the time. Rugged enough that many dive shops carry it. I could buy one per year for the next 50 years and I'd still save money over the rolex. :)

1M-SP00G0.jpg

Here's the spec sheet.

Since Ray Mears doesn't wear one, I knew I was taking a chance when I bought it but it seems to have paid off. ;)

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
bet it isn't as rugged as my sun dial. or as cheap :lmao:

Have you seen the cost of sundials in the garden centre......

Back to STEVE27752, if it is a G10 like strap it may well be a g10 like watch. I have noticed he has a habit of picking odd bits of military kit as 'must have' or 'must wear' every so often.

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
It is not a MWC nor a CWC it has a similar strap.
Steve :)

Have you seen the cost of sundials in the garden centre......

Back to STEVE27752, if it is a G10 like strap it may well be a g10 like watch. I have noticed he has a habit of picking odd bits of military kit as 'must have' or 'must wear' every so often.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE