Rise, rise you all! You Jacks of all Trades!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Right up my street that. It's always enjoyable to read something that makes you feel that you might actually be doing the right thing!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
As Robert Heinlein put it: "specialization is for insects".

(My favourite answer to "What do you do?" is: "Live! I'm doing it right now!")

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I am definitely a Jack of all Trades. I like learning to do and make,new things, see new places, try new foods. It's stimulating and what makes life bearable and enjoyable.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
As Robert Heinlein put it: "specialization is for insects".

(My favourite answer to "What do you do?" is: "Live! I'm doing it right now!")

My favourite quote:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

I've been a Jack of all Trades since I left school. That link resonates well with me.

Eric

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Nice link.. I'm very much a generalist myself - in my day job I design systems, as opposed to write code, and it's an ethos I carry through my life as a whole.. The ability to think holistically, generate creative ideas, and carry on learning is what keeps life interesting (and hence, bearable!)..

For anyone interested in creativity/non-linear thinking generally, I can wax lyrical for long periods about mind maps as an aid to lateral thinking - feel free to PM for more info...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE