Rip My Canoe Kit apart

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Following on from a previous post with the same title and some of you asked me if I would do the same.

This would be a reasonable estimate of what myself and my partner would carry on a 16 day canoe trip to a hunting cabin and back on the Winagaiskikimi River which we do normally after spring break up. I’m not sure how long this trip is in miles as we count days travel and not miles - I don’t have a map either. This river is around class ii/iii with some impassable rapids for portage.

1. Canoe cedar/canvas 17ft made by myself about 6 years ago
2. A paddle each made by me and partner (Fred) Mishwashimi from red cedar.
3. Wannigan containing our cooking stuff. this would be some metal plates, knives, forks, spoons, couple of cups and iron/steel cooking pans.
4. 18 X 12 tarp, either canvas or heavy plastic. We use this for shelter if needed or sleep under canoes depending on the weather. - just cut fine poles for making wigwam or windbreak depending on weather. If ground hard or very wet, we always use cedar/spruce shoots for sleeping on.
5. Blanket, probably an old hbc one I’ve used for some years in spring/summer.
6. Rain jacket, or fine hide coat if cold spring - hat.
7. A axe maybe five pound weight. no idea of make. As we may portage some bits through the bush we’ll take a bush saw to cut dead falls.
7; Maybe spare set of trousers, shirt and socks as this river has wet portages and long ones too.
8. Leather or rubber hunting boots and moccasins for camp.
9. Spare bit of canvas if we use plastic tarp if canoe need fixing and gum (pine resin and fat).
10 Pen knife and hunting knife.
11. Food. for a short trip we take food. We take flour, sugar, fruit, sometimes dried berries we have collected in the fall and tinned fruit to make with flour. We’ll take oat biscuits and dried/smoked meat and/or tinned stuff. Take stuff to catch trout maybe. Tea and Coffee. We only use open fires.
Depending on the time of year and our knowledge of what we’ll find on the way we may get other stuff. Milk we never carry as its for babies in our culture.
12. Toothbrush
13. Binoculars
14. Big sack and tumpline

(and of course whatever we are supplying the cabin with)

We don’t carry or use:-

PFD/life jacket, rescue rope, radios,cell phones, signalling stuff and the like.
No indian ever drowned on a portage. And many 1st nations brought up above the tree line can't swim anyhow.

We generally don’t carry any of the fancy goods I’ve seen paddlers bring from down southways and the cities. To start with our only stores are hardware stores and they don't sell the stuff I've seen in cities and outdoor stores.

And for a trip like this we'd only take a rifle if we were paddling somewhere we could shoot small game. You can't fit a moose in canoe and we don't waste what is hard to come by!!!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm surprised you don't have any cordage with you - I nearly always have a bit of cord on me when I'm messing about with boats. Handy for repairs or just in all sorts of occasions. What do you use for fastening up the tarp or building a wigwam if you don't have any cord or rope?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
It seems a bit iresponsible to not wear a pfd and carry a rescue rope, especially since there are a few rapids on your route. The modern ones weigh so little and are comfortable.

Would love to see a pic of your cedar canvas canoe though.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hi Joe,

i wouldnt presume to rip your kit apart as you're evidently quite settled on what you take.

Im curious as to how many years you've been making this trip as I'm guessing it's quite a few. I wonder if your kit lost has changed much over that time.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
number 2.
"Mishwashimi" is that fred's surname?....google offers no results

Number 7. thats a big old axe joe, is it just the one you have for everything?....i'v never needed more than a boys axe even for the northern woods in winter

Number 8.
Is that two extra pairs of boots/shoes, or the ones you stand up in and some camp shoes?

Don't understand the portage/mountain indians cant swim bit
on a calm river i probably wouldn't wear a pfd if i'm honest, but just because he's indian how does that preclude him from learning to swim before taking a trip on a boat?
i'm no "saftey sally" but i'v gotta say mate thats just stupid....being a mammal he can swim, its just a case of having a go first so he don't panic if he does fall in

*Edit
How long does it take you to get to the cabin?

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Joe, what dried fruits do you carry?
I am partial to dates and figs. I find that I get a bit 'blocked up' as my fiber intake is less than normal and those help.
I also carry raisins. Useful in adding to tea as a sweetener.

When in season, I like to pick and eat. Love Cloudberries.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Don't understand the portage/mountain indians cant swim bit

Not many of fishermen in the past could swim either. I believe the thinking is " God's will".

I am a sissi, so I wear a survival suit when I am on my boat in the sea in the Lofoten. Wintertime it prolongs my life expectancy from 5 minutes to about 20 minutes, so I can reflect on my past time before I freeze to death...

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
You just about sum it up there janne, many of the older fishermen (especially pre survival suits and inflatable life rafts etc. figured why swim around for 20 minutes waiting to die when you can get it over with in a few seconds, though I understand many on the whaling boats did learn, I suspect that might have been because there was a reasonable chance that there would be a small boat in the water close enough to pick them up if they could hang on a bit

D.B.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Joe, I doubt there are few (if any) from the UK who could justifiably criticise your kit, you obviously know through your own intimate experiences what works for you.

If only I could join you for a short time, I know that I would learn so much.

And I do like your down to earth practical and knowledgeable inputs.

Most of us over here, would have great difficulty (along with 4 canoe loads of support gear :p) to manage your environment the way that you do.

Cheers Joe,

rorymax

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Not many of fishermen in the past could swim either. I believe the thinking is " God's will".

I am a sissi, so I wear a survival suit when I am on my boat in the sea in the Lofoten. Wintertime it prolongs my life expectancy from 5 minutes to about 20 minutes, so I can reflect on my past time before I freeze to death...

Old fishermen and sailors often could not swim since the cold of the water would kill them long before they could reach land by swimming. I will admit to not wearing a pfd at sea, but on a river a pfd can and has saved many lives by allowing people time to rest and continue swimming to the shore. They might not look cool, but Any advice I've ever had mase it clear they were vital.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Joe , thanks for showing us all that you would use.
Simple and practical.
Does indeed show a great deal of local knowledge and experience in your environment.

I won't speak for nobody else when I say that we all carry way too much stuff ...
The "just in case" gear, the fancy gadgets and home comforts...

I think the idea that one can, not only survive but actually thrive in his environment with very little tools or possessions is the most rewarding and exciting part of my relationship with the natural world.

I think if our education system was more focused on sustenance, natural resources and natural history, the children would embrace it and teach us a thing or two...

The world would be a much nicer place...

I think most folk on here would agree with me .

A hunting canoe trip with a good friend in your part of the world must be a great experience... like going back to when life was a lot more calm and simple.

It's good for the soul and lightens the spirit just knowing that you and other 1st nation peoples are still doing some of the things you did before the white man came...

Thank you for sharing your experience.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Slightly off topic, but in the spirit of the discussion that's begun... if you can't swim, or those you travel with can't swim, then why no pfd?

It's all very well to speak of 1st nation people, although that means very little really... the so-called 1st nation indians migrated from Asia, just as many Europeans moved around before the land bridges flooded... and we continued to move about the planet since... anyway, digressing... but yeah, all very well to say certain people can't swim, but its even more reason to take use of modern technology to assist.

No good saying you're living the simple life without technology when you carry plastic this and canvas that... surely you should be carrying those heavy animal skins to wrap up the wigwam, carving some bone into eating implements etc etc.

All I'm saying, and trying not to be rude about it (although its difficult not to be rude with such an apposing view) is that rejecting one technology whilst embracing another when one technology keeps you dry at night, the other saves your life if your canoe tips, just seems odd and somehow hypocritical.

I hate to use the analogy, but I'm going to anyway... its like the fanatical arab nations who proclaim everything in the West is the work of the devil... well, except for the Toyota Landcruiser... and well, the AK47... and maybe laptops... oh and the internet... and if pushed, but without much persuasion, Twitter.

Juxtaposition joboscity??

bearbait

I used to do a lot of sailing: coastal, offshore and ocean. I never wore a pfd (lifejacket) at sea but I did wear a safety harness at some times (night, or serious sea state) to prevent doing over the side.

However, I always wore a lifejacket when going ashore in the dinghy from wherever anchored, day or night.

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I used to do a lot of sailing: coastal, offshore and ocean. I never wore a pfd (lifejacket) at sea but I did wear a safety harness at some times (night, or serious sea state) to prevent doing over the side.

However, I always wore a lifejacket when going ashore in the dinghy from wherever anchored, day or night.

Can you swim though?

Well lets see if I can answer some of your comments.

1. FAK If that means 1st aid then we don't bother generally. If we need things for cuts we can use what the forest provides. We have a root we mash up = I don't know English name which we use to stop bleeding. But we rarely get cut anyhow and only small nicks. For us we live here and the surroundings are a part of our lives. Just like the cities and towns are like home to you. I guess you guys don't carry a 1st aid for going in the towns and cities or if you go for a short walk in the fields and woods? Same here.

2.we might carry rope on some trips but not on rivers where we use poles for going up swifts against the currents. Our shelters are made from poles cut from the forest a bit like tipi, covered with canvas and poles are used to hold it down. Same we we sometimes have used bark for shelter. No nails in old times so all held down by poles on outside. But if we need we can always use spruce root - plenty up here.,

3. My axe weights 5lb pounds. Good for everything, cutting small brush and downing lumber if needed. Less effort is needed than using a smaller axe

4. Thats Fred's official name. He told me his grandfather was Dogrib and when we were made to have two names like europeans the official wrote it down wrong because he couldn't spell it properly. He thinks it meant pierced earlobes, but our language is changed from old times too. Most of us choose to use English 1st names because white Canadians cannot pronounce our native names.

5. Just one pair of boots, for canoeing and Portgage plus what you call mocassans made from Caribou hide for camp

6. There are many berries and wild food to gather - blue berries, cloud berries , bear berries cranberry, many of the water plants have good roots to eat - and more. also take raisins, sultanas to put in bread.

7. There are many 1st nations people who cannot swim because they were brought up above the tree line where the rivers never get warm enough to swim. PFDs are not part of our custom in the same way fishing people in England don't wear PFDs when they go out to sea in fishing boats or when you catch the ferry yet I know fishing boats sink as do ferries with lots of deaths. Its different for you guys who canoe - you do it for fun I guess and falling in is part of how you learn and have fun. Staying in the canoe is how we learn and how we like our paddling!

Most of our rivers are far bigger than anything in England I saw. Throw lines cannot be thrown into the middle of our rivers as they are too wide and even guided trips don't always carry these things. You'd be too long getting to the bank anyhow in a bad rapid and our rivers you can't walk on the banks as there is too much brush & fallen timber - that is why our rivers are our highways.

'no indian ever died on a portage'. This is old saying. We don't canoe in rapids we can't paddle. We walk around them carrying canoe & luggage - this is portage, I think a French word.

8. Dewi =- We don't reject modern stuff. We use it. But only what we want and need. I've used and made bows and arrows and stuff when i was younger but I use a rifle and shotgun for getting food. Its easier and needs less skill!!! We didn't use skins for shelter. Only bark in old times and now for unplanned stays.

I guess you enjoy going out and camping. But you live in a house?? Same thing maybe but other way around.

I know you guys like making wooden spoons and using other old stuff. You like to light fires by old methods - But you buy modern kit, jackets, waterproof clothing expensive boots, knives & axes that we would not use. Are we wrong to choose what we like? Are you wrong to choose what you like?.

I'm sorry you dismiss us. In the past we've been called many wrong names, but now we are recognised as the 1st people who set foot in our land and that is why I'm a 1st nation canadian.

Any way kit. I'll look for video of Cree folk canoeing I've seen - maybe you'd enjoy it and I'll see if I can get one of the kids to put it on here to look at.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think you should have a PDF too, essential when on the water.

Many lives have been lost because people didnt have lifejackets. Dont think it unmanly to wear one. You wear motorcycle helmets and other safety gear?

If you object to the bulk (and there are ones that are designed for kayaking, and so dont impede your movements) do you think one of the inflating ones with a pull cord and a CO2 bottle would be more suitable?

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I agree with the safety gear on the water thing.

I always feel it's a kind of cognitive bias.
You always hear from people who say they don't need them or didn't need/use them, or that they're bulky.
You sometimes here from some people that they were useful or having something saved their lives.
However you never hear from the poor b*stards, who really needed one and didn't have one because they're dead.

There is nothing wrong in being prepared, and trying to minimise risk within reason.
There might be a 1 in a 1,000,000 risk to fall in and drown, but who wants to be an actuarial statistic...

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Well lets see if I can answer some of your comments.

1. FAK If that means 1st aid then we don't bother generally. If we need things for cuts we can use what the forest provides. We have a root we mash up = I don't know English name which we use to stop bleeding. But we rarely get cut anyhow and only small nicks. For us we live here and the surroundings are a part of our lives. Just like the cities and towns are like home to you. I guess you guys don't carry a 1st aid for going in the towns and cities or if you go for a short walk in the fields and woods? Same here.

2.we might carry rope on some trips but not on rivers where we use poles for going up swifts against the currents. Our shelters are made from poles cut from the forest a bit like tipi, covered with canvas and poles are used to hold it down. Same we we sometimes have used bark for shelter. No nails in old times so all held down by poles on outside. But if we need we can always use spruce root - plenty up here.,

3. My axe weights 5lb pounds. Good for everything, cutting small brush and downing lumber if needed. Less effort is needed than using a smaller axe

4. Thats Fred's official name. He told me his grandfather was Dogrib and when we were made to have two names like europeans the official wrote it down wrong because he couldn't spell it properly. He thinks it meant pierced earlobes, but our language is changed from old times too. Most of us choose to use English 1st names because white Canadians cannot pronounce our native names.

5. Just one pair of boots, for canoeing and Portgage plus what you call mocassans made from Caribou hide for camp

6. There are many berries and wild food to gather - blue berries, cloud berries , bear berries cranberry, many of the water plants have good roots to eat - and more. also take raisins, sultanas to put in bread.

7. There are many 1st nations people who cannot swim because they were brought up above the tree line where the rivers never get warm enough to swim. PFDs are not part of our custom in the same way fishing people in England don't wear PFDs when they go out to sea in fishing boats or when you catch the ferry yet I know fishing boats sink as do ferries with lots of deaths. Its different for you guys who canoe - you do it for fun I guess and falling in is part of how you learn and have fun. Staying in the canoe is how we learn and how we like our paddling!

Most of our rivers are far bigger than anything in England I saw. Throw lines cannot be thrown into the middle of our rivers as they are too wide and even guided trips don't always carry these things. You'd be too long getting to the bank anyhow in a bad rapid and our rivers you can't walk on the banks as there is too much brush & fallen timber - that is why our rivers are our highways.

'no indian ever died on a portage'. This is old saying. We don't canoe in rapids we can't paddle. We walk around them carrying canoe & luggage - this is portage, I think a French word.

8. Dewi =- We don't reject modern stuff. We use it. But only what we want and need. I've used and made bows and arrows and stuff when i was younger but I use a rifle and shotgun for getting food. Its easier and needs less skill!!! We didn't use skins for shelter. Only bark in old times and now for unplanned stays.

I guess you enjoy going out and camping. But you live in a house?? Same thing maybe but other way around.

I know you guys like making wooden spoons and using other old stuff. You like to light fires by old methods - But you buy modern kit, jackets, waterproof clothing expensive boots, knives & axes that we would not use. Are we wrong to choose what we like? Are you wrong to choose what you like?.

I'm sorry you dismiss us. In the past we've been called many wrong names, but now we are recognised as the 1st people who set foot in our land and that is why I'm a 1st nation canadian.

Any way kit. I'll look for video of Cree folk canoeing I've seen - maybe you'd enjoy it and I'll see if I can get one of the kids to put it on here to look at.

Okay, so...

1. Admirable... I wish I had the knowledge you have of plants to mean I don't need a FAK. That is truly invaluable when out and about.

2. Again, the knowledge to build shelters combining modern and natural means, something I wish I had much more knowledge about. Would love to learn more about what you do.

3. In the right hands, the tool you choose and can use is right for the job.

4. If Canadians can make the effort to speak bilingually, they can make the effort to pronounce your names correctly. I was known by another name throughout my childhood until I reclaimed my birthname, so to me a name is an important thing. My view is never change who you are, your name is your name... I'm proud of my name. So yeah, names :D

5. I have one pair of boots. Every year I get a new pair on my birthday whether I need them or not, but invariably I need them. I have my old boots kept to one side just incase, but I renew my boots once a year and its all I wear.

6. I love berries... unfortunately the local canines enjoy polluting the berries we have around here, so I don't fancy sampling them.

7. Pfds are a technological advance, and if you can't swim, you're a bit daft not to take advantage. Culturally it was not the custom of my people to pay taxes, but my family lives in Britain, so we pay them. Its necessary to live. A Pfd could mean the difference between life and death if you can't swim. Without one, you're gambling.

8. If you'll use technology when needed.... and you can't swim... might be a good idea to use some technology.

Unfortunately the difference between using a pfd and not is not the same thing as camping out and a house. We're apple and oranges on that one... but you're not wrong to choose what you want to do. No problem at all, but its a personal choice... if you're saying it is a choice of your community, then I say its daft. But then I'm an English man... what weight does that carry to your community? None. Just my opinion.

I don't dismiss you at all and as I've said, I take a lot of stock in a name and particularly an identity. But I'm not defined by my family's origin. If I were, we'd be living in a mud hut with a thatched roof and weaving baskets for the passers by. Occasionally we'd be arming ourselves and killing people based on what our leaders thought was best. We've adapted to our environment, assimilated, but it doesn't mean we lose ourselves or our identity. I view myself as Friesian, a name that isn't recognised by the dictionary on here... its associated with horses, but my roots have been wiped from the face of the earth. The village my family originate from was an important one, it is now a motorway. So dismiss you? No, but you're as many generations, if not more from my family's place back there. We all have moved around the Earth, but am I a first nationer? Am I an immigrant? Am I English? Am I Friesian? (and again, a word the dictionary doesn't even recognise!!!!)

All I'm saying is, if you can't swim.... stick on something that could save your life... tradition and carrying on the traditions aren't served by a dead person. No offence was meant, intended or expected. It's a simple point that I've made... job done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE