Rim Fire Rifle Question....:)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
Another possible rifle is the browning T-bolt.
.22lr bolt action but a "straight-pull" design.

Gives nice quick follow-up shots and available in synthetic stock and stainless.
However, i'm clueless what they cost in the UK.

To bad we can't use the .17hmr...

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I've done a bit of looking around and have found a nice stock replacement for ruger 10/22:

http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/in...ategory_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=19

This gives a few added bonuses over a standard stock:

1. Reduces the weapons length - being bullpup configuration, it "shrinks" the weapons length, making it easier to manouver with.
2. Makes the weapon ambidextrous - left handed? no problem, the charging handle can be accessed from both sides of the stock

there are a ton of other features but those 2 stand out, that being said it requires a Ruger 10/22 18.5" barrel or longer in order to function properly.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Our barrel lengths don't need 18.x" just 12.x" - but also 24" OAL. The overall length would be critical on this

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
2. Makes the weapon ambidextrous - left handed? no problem, the charging handle can be accessed from both sides of the stock.

Have you used one left handed? A quick google suggests the ejection port to be rather close too my face for me to use, even with a deflector.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Exactly that slowworm - truly ambidextrous weapons tend to bottom eject. Also theis is a cross bolt safety at the rear of the trigger guard incorrectly oriented for a lefty - you want a tang safety for true ambidextrous. Weirdly though the mag release is better for a lefty

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've given up on a truly ambidextrous or LH .22 semi-auto rifle (frankly I'm rather surprised by the lack of LH centre-fire bolt-action rifles) but at least the S&W has an ambi-charging handle, a case deflector (I find some 10/22s throw the case too much to the rear) and, I gather (don't take my word for it), a reversible safety. I also prefer the mag release button as I get a bit tied up with the Ruger's.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But, if you want to put optics on - it becomes an advantage

Absolutely. Although before my eyes started to grow old I would never have dreamed of putting optics on a lever action. Probably will return to that way of thinking once I have eye surgery (not scheduled yet but it's coming)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've given up on a truly ambidextrous or LH .22 semi-auto rifle (frankly I'm rather surprised by the lack of LH centre-fire bolt-action rifles) but at least the S&W has an ambi-charging handle, a case deflector (I find some 10/22s throw the case too much to the rear) and, I gather (don't take my word for it), a reversible safety. I also prefer the mag release button as I get a bit tied up with the Ruger's.

I believe Ruger does its bolt action 77 rimfires in a left handed version. I know they do so with the centerfire ones.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire

Pretty sure the CMMG ar15 .22 can be tuned for lefties. Worth checking out.

I get mine next week with the 4 way fore rail. Merry Christmas to me :D

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Would recommend the CZ. The triggers aren't great on the 452. Try find a 453, they have a superior trigger and you can push it forward for a single stage set trigger. Only negative side is that it's not the lightest rifle around.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I've got a CZ 452 and wouldn't be without it, if I had to be left with only one rifle then there would be no hesitation on my choice. Yes the trigger needs a bit of TLC but apart from that they're great to shoot and extremely reliable.
Colin

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I have been running with the Remington 597 for a few seasons now. I originally got it for skiing and small game but in the summer I use it for speed shooting and target shooting. I used to have an Anchutz and a Cooey/Winchester but git rid of them. While it must be admitted that the magazines for the 597 are hit and miss, as long as you only load them with 8 rounds it is unstoppable. I have had 1 failure to feed and 3 failures to eject in 1500 rounds. Once I only loaded the magazines to 8 rounds it never happened again. Most likely I will buy a second one with a heavy barrel in the future so I do not have to switch optics between seasons.

CCE-NB-range-01.jpg

IMG_3513_zpsf11c58be.jpg

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Yes it is available over here, I have the stainless version. Not a bad little gun, I have fitted peep sights, tried the optics and seemed to loose zero to often, the peep is spot on though.

for a fun and very portable gun I would recommend it.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
IMG_20120311_112929.jpgRuger-10-22-A76596.jpgMy first rimmy was a cz, cracking rifle, should never have sold it, bought a Smith and wesson mp15/22 loved that also shot very well.
Now have a custom 10/22 volquartson barrel trigger etc,
first pic shows mp15/22 second is a rubbish pic of my ruger.
also for 22 lovers a virgin forum to play in
www.totally22.co.uk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE