Rifle opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Slightly less bushy but here goes. A friend of mine is getting into rifle shooting and has asked me for some advice on setups, I've given him advice based on his needs but it got me thinking. What kind of rifle setups would people here use or wish to use? Be it bushcraft, survival, plinking whatever tickles you.

1 sub 12 airgun, 1 rimfire and 1 big fella from me to start.

Air rifle: I have to go Springer, there's something about them I prefer (although admittedly I use a PCP)
I'd say Weihrauch HW-77K in .22, nothing too fancy for optics, 3-9×40 nikko sterling nighteater. Great little setup and the rekord trigger on the 77 was in my opinion the single best mechanical trigger ever fitted to an air gun, accurate as you fancy and spent many happy hours shooting tictacs with mine.

Smallbore powder burner: for me, there's only 1 choice here, the Ruger 10/22. Really versatile and capable platform, plenty of aftermarket mods if you like them. Again wouldn't be going mad with optics and quite possibly the same nighteater on the .22lr I've used one on both airguns and rimfires and it's a good option that doesn't cost the earth. As for a can I would say the decimeater from Hogan, it's a newbie (relatively) but a good quiet can with subsonic CCI in my experience. Bugger to clean though. No bipod on the rim fire for me, just gets in the way!

Fullbore powder burner: that's a tough one for me as I've loved so many. If I had to dive in and pick one capable of both target and hunting id have to say Remington 700 SPS varmint in .308 win. Based around the venerable and much revered K98 action they're a very, very good rifle and have been around forever for a reason. Fullbores for me, frankly I wouldn't worry about a can, noisy either way. Optics I'm going to risk having rotten fruit thrown by saying the vortex viper PST 2.5-10x44. Cracking scope for the money good reticle and a crisp scope picture. Over 300 it may well struggle but hunting at over 300, for all I am capable, is something I would be unwilling to do. Bipod I would say the classic by Harris engineering, pretty big standard but again, brilliant bit of kit and basically an industry benchmark now.

Might prove interesting this one! What's your views ladies and gentlemen?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All depends on purpose. I wouldn't want a bolt gun hunting bore in close cover or a short double rifle hunting munties across a valley.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
All depends on purpose. I wouldn't want a bolt gun hunting bore in close cover or a short double rifle hunting munties across a valley.
If you where to have to choose 1 setup I mean, I absolutely get your point mind you. But for arguments sake 1 air rifle 1 rimfire and 1 fullbore for the rest of your days

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Not playing because only one of each counts as cruel and unusual punishment
Difficult choice I know sunndog! I hummed and harred over air gun and fullbore I have to admit. .22 was already made up though, imo it's the best hands down

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If it's huting he wants to do rather than targets and plinking, forget about the 10 22. I had one for years and I can honestly say a .22 CZ bolt action is a better bunny gun. The fun of the semi auto will wear off rather quickly, but the bolt action will continue to out perform it. Buy second hand and there is little money to be lost. If he wants longer range, consider a .17. A cheap parker hale moderator will do all required for a .22.

For larger game, calibre should be dictated by quarry. A 30-06 is in my opinion the best all round choice for large game. But if he is wanting to shoot smaller deer species and fox, i'd suggest a .243.

With regards to the rifle, Remington 700s are truly awful. There is no guarantee of accurcy and you can get some that just won't group. The mechanism is good to build on, but that's it. A good budget should stretch to a Tikka T3 or something by Savage. I currently own a T3 and have owned a savage, both will out shoot rifles twice their price of you do your part. Forget about a bipod to start and get some shooting sticks. For optics, buy a Scmidt and Bender 8x56 Hungarian. Variable scopes are well and good, but unless you're regularly hunting in woodland, pretty much everyone leavs there scope at x8 power anyway.

I'd recommend Warne mounta as a cost effectie but reliable option

I would suggest starting with the .22 and see how he gets on. Skills learned shooting rabbits transfer to larger game.

Also, the first good investment he should make, even before a gun is good binoculars. This is something I wish I had done when I had the money.

Buy once and buy right. All the above options are good value and perform as well or better than any hunter will need.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting choice, out of curiosity is there a reason for that?

Can't do anything with an airgun that I can't do better with a .22. There's just too much calibre spread on cf for one to cover. If England would adopt .223 for Roe, as Scotland has I'd take my Steyr Scout in .223 for hare, fox and small deer. Then a heavier .30 calibre for large prey - .300 win mag or wsm likely.

Unusually I disagree with Hibrion - 10/22s can be great. Roger Francis fully supressed vermin specials are superb. My 10/22 will punch 1" groups all day at maximum hunting range so its fine for its purpose. That said I agree there is nothing wrong with a CZ...or an Anschutz come to that

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
10/22 is a tinkerers gun. If you just want something that works straight out of the box then go bolt action, CZ and up

And yep, SAK or PH mod is all you need for rimfires

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Don't get me wrong, BR, 10-22s can be good but they aren't consistenty good. I've yet to see a CZ that didn't shoot. Another point to note is a new shooter would do well to start on a bolt. Semi autos can lead a poor shooter to conpensate with quick follow up shots.

A .223 steyr scout is a fine rifle. Do you have it setup as a scout or more traditional scope placement?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Nice setup. I'm more of a blued steel and walnut kinda guy, but you have to appreciate a good rifle like that.

I'd have to try a scout scope though.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I often thought if mounting one on my 1894 30-30 winchester for driven game. I just can bring myself to mount a rail on a pre '64 rifle.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Long ago now, I bought a Remington 700BDL. Looking over the ammo and performance catalogs, the .30-'06 cal is available in the greatest variety of factory loads. That plus trajectory data dropped the .308 for me. Similarly, greatest variety is in .30 cal bullets for the reloaders. Mine eats Rem factory 165gr Sierra boattails.
I have a Savage .22cal with an Accutrigger for rabbits.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
For me the smaller one would have to be 1 22LR (or a gun capable of handling short, long, and long rifle; I have a single shot that's so capable) I enjoy my grandson's 10-22 and it's more than accurate enough for small game, as was my Remington Nylon 66, but I tend to agree with Hibrion that a quality bolt is a better choice. Probably either a CZ or the Ruger 77-22. A good lever would be both fun and adequate also

My centerfire of choice would be the 30-06. It can be loaded down for Jackrabbits or loaded up for Grizzlies. Indeed as RV said, factory loads are available in that range as well. My current 30-06 is a Remington Model 74 semiautomatic.

To be honest though there are several calibers and guns that will suit the need without much problem if you're not going to be hunting really dangerous game:
7mm-08
7 magnum

I've even had fun shooting Jackrabiits with a 45-70 (and I'd have no qualms using that against really dangerous game)

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Mine wouldn't accept that mount, BR. It's a pre '64 top eject.
The regular irons are grand for now, but my eyesight is not getting any better.

I've heard good thing about savage rimgires too, Robson Valley. Never had one though.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
My call would be:-

Weihrauch HW80, slightly tweeked by mr Pope (had one in my younger years and regret letting it go when i got into powder burners).

Sako Finnfire in .22LR (currently have a 10/22 filling LR slot but will hopefully be doing something about that in the not too distant future). SAK mod.

Fullbore, I really cant fault my Rem 700 in .243. It's done all I've wanted it too and more so far ;). Doesn't stop me hankering after a Sako 75 in 7mm-08 or .270 though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE